Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Not exactly a knee question...  (Read 891 times)

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 399
  • Neelie knee!
Not exactly a knee question...
« on: August 01, 2012, 06:57:11 PM »
OK, not at all a knee question, but I didn't know where else to post!

I have been offered three choices to try to treat my recurrent tennis elbow and was wondering if anyone else had experience of this pesky condition and could offer any insight!

Very swift history - started in autumn of 2011 - not sure of cause, possibly due to riding a too big bike...anyhow, tried PT for 3 months, no better, saw OS and then had a steroid jab in mid Jan 2012 - couple of days of pain due to the steroid flare, back to PT, all good...

Flared up again about 8 weeks ago - probably due to lugging a heavy briefcase around the globe on business trips...anyhow, 4 weeks of PT, PT says my elbow is his nemesis (never seen such stubborn TE, and is unusually in my left, and thus non dominant arm)
and back to OS with you!

Saw OS this afternoon and the 3 options are...

1) TE is self limiting, but could take 6 months, 12 months, 2 years to go, no way of knowing...and I still need to lug bags around the world for work   ::) although I have now got a briefcase with wheels  :P

2) Activated Platelet injection - not common here in the UK, done lots in the US - from what I can tell this is basically PRP.  OS says he has been doing for a year, seen a 90% success rate, insurance should cover it - BUT involves a big needle, it hurts a lot, cannot drive straight after (not an issue) and will need to be very careful for a month, then 3-6 months to get properly better
...it looks like I may have to go to Japan again in mid Sept and mid Oct (but will figure out the bag carrying, acquire a donkey, tie my arm behind my back so I am not tempted to use it or something  ;D )
Best thing - my OS had TE, had this done and is now better!

3) Surgery - tried and tested, 90% success, similar post op protocol and recovery to the jab, covered by insurance, and can still be done if jab fails...BUT is surgery with anaesthetic and all the usual risks, would have a 3cm incision, probably hurts a lot after  ::)

I have decided to try option 2) first (less invasive and also as poor success if after failed surgery) and would like to hear from anyone else who has had TE and what treatment, especially PRP or similar

I know this is a knee forum, but one joint is like any other isn't it?  and treatment options seem pretty much of a muchness when you get down to the nuts and bolts (if you'll pardon the pun)

Cheers  ;D
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline seantomtom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Re: Not exactly a knee question...
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2012, 11:28:42 PM »
Hi,sorry to hear of your problems but i think you need another website which deals with elbows,the reason is knees like ankles are under a lot of stress due to the pressure and weight they are under, elbows do not have these stresses,all joints respond to ice compresses to reduce swelling but the function of the two joints is totally different,have you tried a physio forum.good luck

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: Not exactly a knee question...
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 03:19:37 AM »
Have had TE.. but not so severely. Wore TE strap constantly with support pad for the tendon, that helped a lot to take the strain off the tendon and support it. Do you wear one? My OS had me wear one constantly for 8 wks. My TE was on my dominant arm, work overuse. Also freeze water in foam cup, peel down to ice and massage elbow to wrist, and crossways inside to outside, like deep tissue massage, but with the ice, as much as you can stand, 10-15 min, to break up adhesions within the tissues in the forearm. Sucks to do, hurts, but helps in the long run. Once done, just plain ice for the pain, and nsaids. Topical if preferred, like voltaren gel (diclofenac) or even aspercreme (aspirin) or precis (tylenol)  up to you if tummy is sensitive, but even topical nsaids can help the ache and reduce stomach upset, and systemic levels. Couple hrs after you ice massage, you can try heating pad 15-20 min if it helps.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

support