Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: ONE YEAR POST OATS  (Read 2363 times)

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • glad to have my knee back again
ONE YEAR POST OATS
« on: January 04, 2004, 07:17:05 PM »

Hi All!

It is now one year plus since my OATS:  I had the last (YIPEE!!!!) check-up and MRI in November.  The MRI showed the graft completly healed, so that there is no difference in the surface between it and the rest of the articular surface.  The donor site is full of fibrocartilage.
My knee continues to be fine and I have gone back to my previous activity level and then some.  At the moment I can do everything except kneel on the knee--I guess the scar is still too sensitive.
Otherwise no complaints at all.
I wish all other knee surgeries could be as successful as mine has been and I wish all of you "Out there" a good Knee Year 2004, especially those with upcoming operations.  
Mary Jane  
plica excision 05/01,  followed by OATS 09/02

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
Re: ONE YEAR POST OATS
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2004, 08:27:10 PM »
MJ,

Congrats!!!  Having just had the oats done myself about 4 weeks ago, it is great to hear that yours was such a success.  I have read just about every one of your posts about your procedure and wanted to say thanks. All the info you shared has been extremely helpful to me over the past few weeks.  
Good luck in the future with your strong knee and wish me the same success!!!!!
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2004, 02:41:20 AM »
Hi MJ,

Great to hear you are doing so well.  I am 9 months post-op.  I know you had the autograft.  I am the one that had the 18 osteochondral allografts (mosaicplasty techique used).  I am doing well.   My OS said because I had so much graft that it would take at least a year and since my MRIs very showed a problem in the first place, he is going to scope it in April/May sometime.  Overall I am doing really well.  I still have "issues" because my lateral chondyle is grade III-IV and my lateral tibial plateau is grade IV.  I am considering a microfracture for my tibia, but not another grafting on my lateral chondyle (maybe later).  

Good luck and keep in touch...Janice

PS Kathleen...what did you have done?
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline Heather M.

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 13
    • Check out my photography!
« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2004, 07:22:27 AM »
Janice,

Am I remembering correctly that you had damage to the back of your kneecap repaired?  If so, how is that holding up?  I'd be interested in hearing more, if you have the time.  Of course, it's a fantasy of mine that my tracking will ever be repaired enough to consider cartilage restoration, but I can dream, can't I??

If I've remembered it incorrectly and you didn't have kissing patellar and trochlear lesions, well, I'll blame it on the late hour and the day from h*ll!

Take care.

Heather
Scope #1: LR, part. menisectomy w/cyst, chondroplasty
#2-#5: Lysis of adhesions/scar tissue, AIR, patellar tendon debridement, infections, MUA, insufflation
#6: IT band release / Z-Plasty, synovectomy, LOA/AIR, chondroplasty
2006 Arthrofibrosis, patella baja
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hmaxwell

Offline kathleenj

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2004, 09:30:12 PM »
Janice,

I didn't have anything nearly as significant as you.  Mine seems like nothing compared to what you had done.
I had a 10 mm medial femoral condral defect that was repaired with just one autograph.  My OS said he also saw some 'thinning' on the tibia as well but said he didn't do anything about it.  Just something to keep in mind.  I just got the ok to start light weight bearing so I assume its going good so far.  Good luck with yours...hope you continue to heal well!!!!!!
right knee oats 12/03 scope autograft
right knee revision oats 6/04 open autograft
loa, plica excision, chondroplasty 12/04
synvisc 5/05
patellofemoral OA
patella baja

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2004, 11:27:49 PM »
Janice--

Good the hear from you and good the hear that everything seems to be healing well.  Compared to my operation, you really had some extensive work done and I am glad that  your knee is getting there.  Will you be having more OATS done to fix the other defects?
Take care

MJ

Offline JG

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2004, 09:59:59 PM »
Hi MJ,

I'm not going to see me OS until April and we will discuss at that point.  However, my tibia can't be fixed using cartilage plug techiques because there is very poor access to the tibia.  My options are microfracture (which I have pinged the board a couple of times about with no responses) for the tibia.  I don't know why he didn't fix the lateral chondyle...wish he had, but I think he was really stretching the procedure limits already so it might not have been feasible at the time.  I just met with another physician in my OS's office who specializes in rheumatology.  I went to see her about long-term pain/inflammation management.  She thinks I should hold out until synthetic cartilage is available in the states.  Who knows.  I have come to the realization that my knee is bad and will be so for the rest of my life.  It is a matter of managing the pain at this point.

Thanks for you well wishes and keep in touch...Janice
Sept-99 - L knee LR
Aug-02 - L knee LR/menisectomy
Apr-03 - L Knee Mosaicplasty Using Allograft (18 grafts)/LR/debridement/menisectomy; Right Knee menisectomy.
Apr-04 - L Scope - LR/Lysis Adhesions

Offline wofford99

• Forum Faithful
  • User's Text
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2004, 07:05:25 AM »
Hi Mary Jane-
Congratulations with your results! I'm 27 and have had 13 knee surgeries including bilateral patella realignments.  In September, I had arthroscopy which revealed grade IV chondromalacia in one area of my kneecap near the patellar tendon.  Since December (4 months postop), I've had terrible pain in that area.  My surgeon last week said the pain was from fibrocartilage filling in.  He said it also could be cartilage shearing off but I didn't have a lot of fluid so he didn't think that was the case.
  Did your knee hurt badly when the fibrocartilage filled in?  Thank you! Margaret
-37y/o; multiple patella dislocations
-34 knee surgeries- bilaterally- fulkerson osteotomies/
right knee patellofemoral arthrosurface 2013

Offline mj/usa

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2004, 11:45:11 AM »
Hi Margaret---

The pain that I did have and sometimes  still get is in the donor site area--ie where the plug was taken from and which is now full of fibrocartilage  (he took the plug from the damaged area and put in back into the donor site).  My OS didn't say that the growth of fibrocartilage would be painful; he said it in another way--your knee is going to hurt here and there and everywhere for the next year or so!
But since I have full function with the knee, the odd pain that I do get (where I have to take something strong) is, I figure, still part of healing or scar tissue or both.  I am sorry to hear that you have soo much pain,  I do hope that it gets better.
take care
Mary Jane

support