Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Patella Knee Tendon Rupture Treatment Plan  (Read 11102 times)

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Patella Knee Tendon Rupture Treatment Plan
« on: July 28, 2012, 05:04:45 AM »

Hello,

Glad I found this forum. I live in USA but was in India visiting family. While crossing a road, I missed the curb and my knee bent awkwardly and my entire body weight came down on my left knee. Had numbing pain and noticed that my kneecap was pushed up to my thigh. Luckily I was in Delhi and was near a very modern hospital. I was rushed to the emergency room. They took X-rays and MRI and immediately diagnosed the rupture. They immediately did the surgery the same day on June 27, 2012. A day after, they put my entire leg in a permanent cast and cut a flap over the knee so the staples could be removed in 2 weeks without removing the cast.

The surgeon said the cast will remain for 6 weeks after surgery. Until then, he told me to do toe flexing exercises and to flex the knee down as much as the cast allows. I had the the staples removed about 2 weeks as prescribed. The surgery site looked good with no infection or swelling. I get around with a walker. When the cast was placed after surgery, they bent my knee at a slight angle of about 15 degrees.

I am anxiously waiting for the 6 weeks and my cast to be removed. I am currently planning for cast removal on August 7th. From what I read, I have a long grueling process ahead. I am planning on flying back to USA on September 4 th. I'll have about 4 weeks after cast removal before I travel and I hope that with physical therapy I will be able sit in an airplane seat to get back home.

I would appreciate any feedback such as how far to push myself after cast removal. I don't want to rupture it again. Will I need to be in a brace after the permanent cast is removed?

Thanks in advance for your responses

:)

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: Patella Knee Tendon Rupture Treatment Plan
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
Not a doc but after doing this twice I kind of got a handle. I never had a cast, I was always in a brace. The brace is nice in that it allows you only to bend a certain amount of degrees and as you progress you can move the degree. Im in a donjoy post op brace. I had to leave locked at straight or zero for 8 weeks before movement could begin. Every doc is different. Good luck brother. This is a great site or just email me and I'll answer any and all questions.

Lou

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 01:53:46 PM »
Forgot!  There is a section just for your surgery in this same section, down from where you posted. Tons of info man!

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2012, 02:52:07 PM »
Lou,

Thanks for the post. Wow, 8 Weeks before you could move any degrees. How long did it take befor
you fully recovered?

Offline J.V.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2012, 10:16:34 PM »
I'm same level as you scammy, i had a complete tear of my right patella tendon while playing basketball on july 10th 2012, had surgery on july 17th 2012. I was place in a full cast (ankle to just below my groin) its been 2wks getting the staples out this thursday, but my orthopic said he is putting back in a smaller cast for another 3weeks, then i'll goto a post op knee brace for several months. i've came to the realization that my basketball days are all but done, which is cool cuz i'm 37yrs old and have been playing it for 30yrs, but would loe to be able to get back to everyday life. i hope you your recovery is a great one, and i wish you the best of luck. i will keep you posted on my journey.
                                                                                    J.V.

Offline Zlou58

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2012, 03:01:20 AM »
Scammy,

Well I am still recovering!!!  11 weeks today and at 80 degrees. This is my SECOND go around but did them both at the same time. I rehabbed first one from December to may. Got fully recovered then may 10 I took a Nasty fall and did both!!!!!!!!!  So 11 weeks and I'm plugging away with a double.  It gets better brother.

Lou

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
I guess I'm a little concerned since my doc prescribed the full leg cast for 6 weeks and then said physical therapy. He didn't say anything about a brace but it seems that most orthopedic surgeons prescribe a brace. My cast is due to come off in 5 more days. I'm wondering if I should ask him about the brace. I really don't want to injure something again. My problem is that my surgeon is very far away.

I guess I'll see what happens next week.

Thanks for all the responses.

Offline J.V.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 12:32:17 AM »
Hey scammy! Was just wondering how things where once they took your cast off? I get mine off in a week and a half?

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 07:32:05 AM »
Well the cast came off 5 days ago and physical therapy began immediately. Initially, I had no movement at all but am working hard thru the pain. I'm currently at about 40 degrees. I was instructed to wall with the full leg brace and a walker. I have considerable swelling and stiffness.

Trying to keep positive. I will keep you updated as time goes on.

Offline J.V.

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2012, 12:20:51 AM »
@scammy. Cool keep it up and I'll let you know how mine is in 2wks...

Offline The Eejit

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2012, 04:06:13 PM »
Scammy,

You're doing really well, I started bending mine 3 weeks ago and I am only at 50 on an assisted heel slide. That said I've had no physio as yet, had to do it all myself.

But I hear you about the stiffness, after exercising and then resting my knee does not want to move at all and I have to force it to bend. I just asked on the other RPT post if this is normal so keep an eye there.

Juls
My friends call me Juls :)
-----------------------------------
6th July 2012 - Ruptured Left Patellar Tendon
Friday the 13th July - Surgery (yes I said my goodbyes lol)

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2012, 08:15:47 AM »
Eejit,

Thanks for the info. I am now at 3 weeks after cast removal which is 9 weeks after surgery. The doctor says that I can now bend at about 70 degrees unassisted. My quads are still pretty weak. I fly back to USA in a week so hopefully I can sit in a plane seat by then.

Offline John42

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 211
  • Complete Ruptered Patella Tendon 9 Jan 2003
    • Chat with SylviaK4221
« Reply #12 on: August 28, 2012, 04:24:25 PM »
I would suggest that you arrange a wheel chair at the airport  - at least you would get priority boarding and pampered going through immigration.

JohnK/ Manchester UK
Ruptured Patella Tendon January 9 2003
Slipped on black ice.  Manchester UK

Complete Ruptured Tendon

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 28, 2012, 06:54:15 PM »
JohnK,

Yes, I have a wheelchair scheduled. You are right, I need all the help I can get. Thanks for the suggestion.

Offline scammy

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2012, 11:05:59 PM »
Update:

Well. its been 3 months since surgery. I've been back home in USA. Current movement is 90-100 degrees. Quads are still very weak. Still cannot get full extension to due to weak quads. The knee is always very warm compared to the good knee. I can walk but with a limp and still cannot put too much load. Doctor says I am progressing satisfactorily.