Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Nerve Damage after Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery  (Read 7703 times)

Offline bxclark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Nerve Damage after Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« on: July 02, 2012, 04:30:34 PM »
Hi all. I ruptured my PT on 6/15 and had surgery on 6/25. A few day after surgery i decided to re-wrap my leg with the ace bandages and gauze since it had shifted a bit. After removing it, I felt around my knee and to the right of it, there is a patch of skin that feels numb. After some internet research, I see that it is nerve damage. Has anyone else experienced this? Will the feeling ever come back? If so, how long? I am a bit concerned about this... Any information or personal experiences are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
Re: Nerve Damage after Ruptured Patellar Tendon Surgery
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 05:58:12 PM »
Numb patches are REALLY common after surgery. It is damage to the nerves, but often you find the sensation gradually comes back - but that can take weeks....months.....sometimes it stays numb. I have a scar from surgery on my foot - above it is totally numb, and about a third of my big toe is numb to the touch - it won't change now. It is usually superficial nerves rather than nerves affecting the movement of your leg and foot. If you can touch the numb bits you can sometimes start to feel sensation but I wouldn't fret too much - very normal!  ;)
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline bxclark

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 11:01:34 PM »
Thank you very much for the reply. A bit disconcerting but helpful nonetheless. I can only pray it doesn't stay that way.

Offline redspudder

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 12
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 07:05:29 AM »
My knee was really numb to the left hand side, a lot of this was scar tissue and as the months went past and the knee came easier to move through physio the numbness slowly went,although i do have a small patch that feels numb now but nothing that effects me from day to day.
RPT 24th October 2011
Surgery 2nd November 2011

Offline jackpot102

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2012, 08:13:53 PM »
I have the same thing.  My Dr says that the nerves run from the inside to the outside of your knee and when the incision is made, the nerves are cut.  Slowly over time the nerves will regrow, but told me to expect a permanent numb patch the size of a dime.

Offline carkeltom

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 188
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2013, 11:41:58 PM »
I suffered a bilateral patellar tendon rupture on 7/19/13 and I have numbness area on the outside and just below the knees and also on the inside and on top of the patella.  My OS said that it is a nerve that is severed and it is normal.  Hopefully the feeling will return, but I am not too worried as long as I regain the ability to walk normally and adapt to the changes in terrain.  I am on the main thread as well for RPT issues.  Tom
Bilateral patellar tendon rupture 7/19/13