Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Microfracture Meniscus Transplant at 23?  (Read 954 times)

Offline welchy

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 1
Microfracture Meniscus Transplant at 23?
« on: July 26, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »
Hi everybody I guess its time to join!

So I'll start at the beginning, I live/lived a very active life, from 8-15 I raced competitively in downhill and cross country biking, competed in downhill skiing and then when I reached 15 took up rugby at a competitive junior level.

After getting to University I was selected for the development squad and was told that gaining 2 stone to take me to 17stone would allow me to play in the position I wanted for our 1st Team. After playing at this level in my first year I reached my target weight of 16st 10lbs (just short of 17!) during pre-season ready to play in Second Year more competitively with my added size, however after months of intensive weight gain and hypertrophy, intensive squatting and hill running on hard surfaces I got myself a meniscul tear! Balls. And I have not played competitively at the same level since.

I had my first surgery on Christmas eve of 2009. This was not successful and I was given another set of surgery 8 months later to trim down more cartilage. The next surgery was given in June 2011. This was also unsuccessful as it was believed too much cartilage was removed causing friction between the joint.

So now I am down for Microfracture on the 11September and shortly after this a Meniscus transplant when a transplantee(if thats the right term becomes available). I am really worried about this operation and was wandering who has had it on here for some words of wisdom.

I have given up Rugby now and won't ever go back to it as it has quite literally destroyed me mentally and physically, I have missed out on joining the armed forces and just want to heal up so i can play non contact sports again. I train 5 times a week in the gym to keep my weight down, mainly weight training as knee movement is very painful. and really want to get back into cycling again.

I currently weigh 15stone 8lbs and am struggling to lose anymore at 6ft 2.

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: Microfracture Meniscus Transplant at 23?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 06:19:58 PM »
good luck! i had micro fracture 10months ago my journey is up and down still finding somethings a struggle!

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 05:51:59 PM »
Welchy, I had my microfracture on my lateral femoral condyle 9/9/2011.  I am still struggling but I am twice your age which I am sure has something to do with it :)

Where will your microfracture be?  In a weight bearing or non-weighbearing location?  Lateral or medial?

The best advice that I can give you is to stregten your hamstrings, hips and quads as best you can before surgery.  You will have atrophy because you will be non-weight bearing for 6-8 weeks.  Getting back to full strength is a challenge but critical for your recovery.  Recovery itself is 9-12 months and if very painful (sorry, just being a realist).  Do PT and listen to what your Dr. and PT say.

Best of luck!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline sarahmw

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 09:05:15 AM »
I'm 21 and I had this entire procedure 3.5 weeks ago! The recovery is tough for microfracture because its 6-8 weeks non weight bearing.

I had my ACL out two years ago and I can tell you, this procedure isn't even in the same realm, it's far more invasive and a MUCH longer recovery (and way more painful the day of surgery) but hopefully it will all work out in the long run!

the only issue i've run into so far is a bit of a squeaky knee. Yesterday I went out on a short walk (crutching of course) with my dad, and immediately after all the fluid left my knee and went down into my foot & it's been creaking since :(.  So just be really patient with the recovery and don't do much at all for the first 6 weeks at least -- at least keep it elevated as MUCH as possible. (I learned my lesson the hard way!) GOOD LUCK!!