Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Severe knee contusion 2 days before scope on other knee  (Read 548 times)

Offline MetsFan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Severe knee contusion 2 days before scope on other knee
« on: July 23, 2012, 03:38:32 PM »
Hi all... Had a partial medial meniscectomy on my left knee last Wednesday and things seem to be going well post-op (this was the third scope on this knee). However, my real problem is my other knee.  Two days before the surgery (last Monday night/a week ago) I tripped up my concrete steps and, because I had packages in my hands I couldn't put them out to break my fall. I took a very hard, direct hit to my right leg just below my patella. I had immense pain and a huge amount of swelling immediately. I was able to minimally bear weight. I went to the ER to make sure there was no fracture and I had my OS briefly look at the leg on Wednesday just to be sure we were ok to go forward with the scope.

So here we are a week later and I still have a lot of pain with weight bearing and flexion, limited flexion/range of motion, and a lot of bruising. The bruising tracks down my leg which I know is normal, but I also have a lot of bruising and tenderness on the lateral side of my knee, above the point of impact. The bruising extends around to the back of my knee. I guess my question is: what is the possibility of other damage to this knee that didn't show on x-ray, and what kind of damage might I be looking at? I have my first follow up with my OS tomorrow.

Thanks so much for any help anyone can provide!
Sue

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Severe knee contusion 2 days before scope on other knee
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2012, 04:26:09 PM »
Hi Sue,

I can't tell you what you did to your knee, but I can help you with the bruising.  Bromelain capsules have been fantastic for me my last four surgeries and help get rid of the bruising.  There was an article in the Lancet a few years ago that found they speeded healing post surgery by speeding up the breakdown of damaged cells.  Another thing to try is topical Arnica gel.  Both items are over the counter and do work.

My guess as to the unusual spread of the bruising is that right now you are spending significant time with your feet up (especially right after surgery when your injury was fresh) and that the back of the knee ended up with the fluid and extra bruising as a result.  I have found that after surgery the bruising is very directional and heads downward.

Good luck on your appointment and speedy healing :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012