Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Surgery soon  (Read 1287 times)

Offline Ciara05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Surgery soon
« on: July 16, 2012, 01:43:21 AM »
I have a torn medial menisicus in the posterior horn from a car crash. I tried just doing physical therapy, but the constant pain never has gone away. I am having surgery this Friday, July 20th. I have been reading this site for a few months and have learned a lot of info. I do not know if it is going to be a repair or trim until the procedure is done. If anyone can tell me what to expect the first few days and what to expect for recovery. I am going to go stir crazy being stuck at the house for some weeks since it Is my right leg. Any advice would be appreciated.

09/16/11  ACl injury from car accident right knee
07/20/12 ACL reconstruction patella tendon

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Surgery soon
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 02:50:20 AM »
Hi Ciara,

Sorry to hear you need surgery, but hopefully this will help you in the long run.  Of course there will be pain afterward, but it is different in the sense that you know it will get better each day rather than the same or worse.  You will be mobile immediately, but putting much weight on it for the first few days will be uncomfortable.  Yeah pain pills!  I stayed on crutches about 3 days and then for long distances after that.  Stock up on some good books, the scrapbook you have been meaning to work on, etc.  The first few days you will live with your ice machine (do clear room in the freezer for the 20 lb. bags of ice) and nap a lot.  In my case I started PT on about the third day.  As soon as I was off pain pills I was back to driving, and two weeks later I was back to work (I teach). Ice and elevate are what will make the swelling tolerable and help your healing.  I have found that by buildiing a wedge of blankets from hip level to the end of the bed with an elevation at the foot of 6-8 inches you can sleep with your legs elevated and be able to roll to your side. If you try propping pillows at night they usually are kicked out of the way as you sleep.  I have also found that taking bromelain really speeds healing.  There was a study in the Lancet a few years ago that showed it helped your body get rid of damaged cells more rapidly.  My OS said it was fine to try and was very surprised by how fast I healed. 

Thats about it in a nutshell.  I wrote suggestions and there are other posters who have had topics that are simiilar.  Hope it is  helpful.

224     The WAITING ROOM / General knee questions and comments (good for new threads) / Planning surgery? Some things to plan ahead before you go.    on: February 27, 2012, 10:44:48 PM

http://www.kneeguru.co.uk/KNEEtalk/index.php?board=7.0

Best of luck :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Ciara05

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Surgery soons
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2012, 08:55:57 PM »
I had the surgery yesterday. It turns out that the menisicus was intact. I ended up having ACL reconstruction. I will be going over to the ACL one.
09/16/11  ACl injury from car accident right knee
07/20/12 ACL reconstruction patella tendon

Offline bvicky

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Surgery soon
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2012, 04:04:13 AM »
How did it go? What did you end up having done? Were you leaning towards having the repair? Did your doctor recommend repair over cutting out part of the meniscus? I have surgery on Fri. the 27th. Thanks and hope you are feeling well.

support