Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 14 Months Post-Op from MPFL Replacement & Lateral Release  (Read 703 times)

Offline xTwistedLeg

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
14 Months Post-Op from MPFL Replacement & Lateral Release
« on: July 20, 2012, 12:49:54 PM »
Hi. My name is Heather and I am new here. My user name is xTwistedLeg because in 2004 I had my right leg rebuilt. I had femoral anteversion and tibial torsion. It was a birth defect. Being born in 1973, they didn't know what to do so ... at 30, they finally fixed it: this is decades after suffering with dislocated knees and hip and ankle pain. That surgery was a nightmare ... but my hip and ankle are great now! On December 8, 2012 I'll be 8 years post-op  ;D

Last May (2011), I dislocated my knee .... it was thought to just be a dislocation, however when the surgeon went in to do a lateral release, I had ruptured my MPFL. Needless to say, I woke up to quite the surprise. It's been a loooooong road.

I have a question for anybody who can help. I hurt that same knee about 2 weeks ago. It was doing great: no pain, no dislocation, no brace. I was walking every day as well. I did something silly ... I picked up a TV (about 50# or so) and moved it onto the floor from a hutch, then a day later put it back. I was taught to use my legs to pick up, not my back ... enough said. Since then, my knee has hurt so bad and is always swollen.

Since my MPFL surgery, I have moved. I went to a recommended OS and he examined and X-rayed. Bones look good, patella is in track. He did an MRI to check the MPFL. Well, the stupid hospital has the MRI diagnosis all wrong. They put I was s/p patellar and ACL repair (I was like "really?"). They didn't even mention the MPFL. They said there was artifact due to the ACL repair (which is really the screws in my femur from the MPFL and Patella). The radiologist also put my exam was done on 7/20, when it was 7/18. 7/20 hadn't even happened yet. I'm wondering if he was drinking or something!

I'm so upset. I am still paying off the original surgery and now I get the privilege of dealing with idiocy. And the funny part (I have to laugh anyway) is I've never hurt my ACL, oddly enough. I have what my doc called a biphasic ACL - I have two separate ACLs - both equally strong. God built me right - he knew I'd need that because of having a twisted leg (my knee pointed in most my life).

So the MRI showed joint effusion (duh) and something called a Baker's Cyst (about a quarter of an inch). It said MCL, LCL, ACL, Meniscus were intact. It made zero mention of MPFL. I don't really know what to do. I see the doctor this morning for my MRI follow up .... and I'm not sure if I should complain. Why? Here's the kicker: I work for the hospital that did the MRI and my OS is on staff. Kind of complicates things.

Advice? Is it possible to hurt a cadaver MPFL? Is the MPFL seen on an MRI? And what the heck is a Baker's Cyst - will it just go away? I'm back in a stupid patellar stabilizing brace ... I just want to be brace free and pain free. I'm so frustrated.

Any advice, thoughts or anything is most appreciated.

Thanks!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: 14 Months Post-Op from MPFL Replacement & Lateral Release
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 03:38:14 PM »
Doesnít surprise me the Radiologist didnít look for the MPFL. Itís not a common thing that is read on MRIís, let alone a common surgery Ė they may have read the notes and said, what? And just assumed it HAD to be the ACL, as thatís the ligament people have reconstructed. Iím not even sure how noticeable the MPFL is, although a reconstruction may be more noticeable? In my experience with OSís, physical exam is more reliable for testing the strength/deficiency of the MPFL than an MRI.

I wouldnít get to ahead of yourself worrying about what the report said in complete idiotic error Ė a lot of OSís will read the MRI themselves anyways. Iím sure once your OS sees how off base the report was, heíll definitely look at himself.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

support