Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: 8 weeks post op  (Read 2381 times)

Offline cornish_girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: 8 weeks post op
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2012, 05:19:08 PM »
I dont think the consultant will ever know if it has broken down or not, the DVT clinic here
have a policy here of not re-scanning which seems a bit daft.

The physio has told me about standing on one leg before.  As I was having physio weeks before the op
just to see if that would help and balancing on one leg was one of the exercises.  Would it be a good idea to put all my weight on that
knee though? i will ask him.

Went to a pool today to do exercises and walking, i think doing that will really help

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2012, 05:22:12 PM »
Great to hear you were in the pool.  You will get so much done with the resistance the water give you and yet not have to worry about falling because you are bouyant.  Your PT might have some exercises that are pool-specific if you ask when you see him next.

It does sound odd that they don't re-test.  You might ask your PT or your doctor why that is the policy.

Have a great day! :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2012, 06:03:46 PM »
I also find it odd that they won't do a follow up ultrasound!  That is all that is needed.  Your body will break it down over time, and the anticoagulants will keep it from getting bigger.  Keep an eye on your symptoms. ie: numbness, tingling, colour changes, swelling, and of course pain.  I am sure you have been warned that if you become short of breath, go immediately to the nearest ER.

Has the doctor responsible for looking after the DVT given you specific directions on what level activity is acceptable with the DVT?  I hope that you have stopped your contraceptive as well.  You do not need any additional risk factors at this time.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014

Offline cornish_girl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2012, 06:33:20 PM »
I too find it odd that they dont re-scan!  From what I remember the reason they gave for not doing it was they dont want to disappoint
people if it hasnt gone.  But its a bit of a silly reason.  I would want to know either way.

They havent given me any indication on activity level no.  I cant do much except do my exercises and go to work.  I still dont have full bend yet in
my knee.

As for the oral pill thats a whole different kettle of fish.  The DVT nurse didnt think it was a huge factor in my getting a DVT, but obviously it will have some little connection.  He told me to discuss it with my GP.  So I discussed it with him and he wasnt sure.  He didnt know whether I should come off it completley, change to a different type of oral pill or stay on it.  So he apparently discussed it with the other GP's at my doctors surgery and they felt that because I had been on it for so long that it probably wont make a difference so I am still on it

Offline emergRN

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 5
« Reply #19 on: July 20, 2012, 01:46:47 AM »
All BCP's carry a risk for DVT, as do the injections.  Then again, so does knee surgery.  We put pillows under people's knees for years.  The reason it was stopped was because of the extension issue, not because of DVT.  I do not think that the pillow under your knee was a significant factor.

I think I would push the GP to see if you should be on the pill.  The fact that you have been on them for 10 years is really not relevant, as you are also 10 years older!  It may very well be a combination of the surgery, the pill, and immobility!  The fact is that you are never going to know for sure what caused it!  I think that I would be weary of the increased risk, as you have already developed the DVT.

W
Rt.knee scope-1990-91Dx with Partial ACL tear
Rt. ACLr with hamstring graft-2010
Rt. knee scope- partial lateral menisectomy and plica excision 2010
ACL revision quad tendon graft- 2011 
Rt. Knee partial lateral menisectomy, debridement 2012
Rt. knee partial lateral menisectiomy, debridement 2014