Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Basketball knee injury  (Read 638 times)

Offline Cliffylink

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Basketball knee injury
« on: July 19, 2012, 01:37:09 AM »
Hello all:

I hurt my knee playing basketball the other day, and was hoping to get an off-the-cuff diagnosis. I don't have insurance now, but will in a few months, so mainly would like to know if this can wait.

So, somehow I hurt my knee playing basketball. There was no particular point in the game that I realized it was hurt, but the next day it was sore and swollen.

These are the symptoms:
1 - slightly swollen
2 - when I bend the knee there is a crunching noise behind the kneecap that was not there before the injury.
3 - slight pain - not enough to keep me from walking, but enough to keep me from doing anything athletic. Also there is a general feeling of instability.
4 - when I bend the knee a lump appears above and outside of the kneecap. It is not painful, but was not there before the injury.

I feel like I tore something, or somehow rearranged the ligaments/cartilage in my knee. I want to wait until I'm insured to get this checked out, but a bit concerned. I also want to get back to sports - at least jogging.  Please let me know if you have any advice.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: Basketball knee injury
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 03:10:47 PM »
No one here can really know what has happened to your knee. You would need a professional to diagnose. Could be a simple sprain, could be something more.

However, In my opinion, Giving it a couple weeks at the very least to rest isnít going to hurt anything (especially since you are mobile) This is usually a Doctorís first suggestion anyways. Basic advice is usually: Rest, Ice, elevate. If you get the swelling under control, you can SLOWLY start increasing your activity level. If your knee doesnít respond to some rest, you may need to get it checked out.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening