Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Funky knee  (Read 781 times)

Offline waterskiforfree

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Funky knee
« on: July 18, 2012, 11:32:53 PM »
I posted a couple of weeks ago and didn't get any replies but figure I will try again as it is therapeutic above all else. 
The history:  I have been plagued by knee pain (not terrible pain) my whole life but thought it was normal.  Squats, extended amount of time in a catcher's position was always very uncomfortable and the last year almost impossible to do for more than a few seconds.  About 7 years ago, I crashed while waterskiing and the ski hit my knee and the thing swelled up terribly.  Went to the doc and they x-rayed knee and found that I have bipartite patella in both knees.  For those that don't know what this is, during the growing years my kneecap never fused together and left with a knee cap that is in a couple of pieces.  They did nothing to treat it except RICE.  I was only away from sports for about 1 month and things were back to normal.  Fast forward to December 2011 and things started to change in that same knee, persistent swelling and pain while putting stress on the knee. I ignored it and played through it as I didn't want to screw up basketball season (I play about 50 games a year) or the upcoming waterskii vacation.  After the waterskii vacation, pain was more persistent and the swelling was getting worse so I decided to visit the family doc.  He took pictures and the radiologist freaked out and asked if I had been in a terrible accident (she found the bipartite patella), needless to say they didn't know what to do with me so they sent me to the OS.
So on 6/25/12 I went to the OS and he said I have a structure problem in my knee that needs to be fixed.  The official diagnosis was a symptomatic bipartite patella and would need screws to be placed in the patella to hold everything together.  I  of course had to find more information so researched the problem and found that only about 1% of the population has bipartite patella, of that 1% only 1% have a symptomatic bipartite patella. I was scheduled for surgery on 7/10/12 and while waiting for the surgery tried to find all that I could about this abnormality.  Closest thing I could find was patella fracture repairs and that is how I found this forum.  OS informed me he was going to scope it and I would be back to normal activities in 2-3 months.  This didn't seem right after reading  some of the posts in here about patella fractures.  I asked more questions and he said he would scope the knee to make sure everything else was in good shape and then would perform an ORIF with two screws pulling everything together.  He was very positive that this was the right thing to do so I had the surgery on the 10th of July.

Surgery was scheduled for 9:00 am, I was home by 3:00 PM in a knee immobilizer and with minimal pain. OS said the surgery went well but had to add 2 more screws for a total of 4. He said the displaced piece was so unstable that he had to put 3 screws in it and also had to add 1 screw to an additional piece of patella that never fused.  I was instructed to take the immobilizer off the next day and begin partial weight bearing and minimal ROM.  I was in a pretty good haze all day due to the anesthesia and pain meds but overall it wasn't a terrible experience.  I was a little concerned he wanted me out of the immobilizer as it contradicts about every post in this forum about knee fractures.  I took it easy the next few days but thought I would be a tough guy and went to work on Friday the 13th with crutches and Ibuprofen.  That turned out to be a big mistake, by the end of the day the knee was swollen terribly and pain had dramatically increased. Needless to say I didn't get any sleep that night.

My post op was scheduled for the 16th, I had x-rays and saw the 4 screws in my knee and it was a little frightening to see all that hardware.  The OS instructed me to get rid of crutches and begin the stationary bike. I asked about PT and he said he probably won't be necessary unless I can't get ROM back. I was about at 90 degrees at the postop.  I am a little concerned about no PT as I don't want to miss out on the opportunity to get the knee back to normal as I know the longer you wait to rehab the harder it is.  I also asked why I didn't have to be in an immobilizer for longer than the first few days and he informed me it was because the pieces were on the side of the main part of my knee cap and as such my muscles would not pull the pieces apart during extension and flexion. Right now the knee feels pretty good, I am almost walking normal, swelling is limiting ROM but pain is minimal to date.  I am not scheduled to go back to the OS until 8/13 so I am on my own til then.

I would love to hear any advice or possible concerns that I should be asking my OS.
Thanks

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: Funky knee
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2012, 04:52:16 AM »
Hi Funky Knee,  Never heard of not having some kind of PT after surgery.  It sounds like you have something rare so I would geuss that it would be treated a little differently.  Ask the surgeon again about it.  My daughter had 2 screws put in her knee and she used the stationary bike at first and then went on to more agressive PT.    If your knee feels better than don't change anything until you see the surgeon.   I'me sure when you see him there will be some suggestion of PT in the future if you need it  but don't overdue it right now.  Sounds like he doesn't want you to.     Hope this helps you.    LAS

Offline lisa424

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Funky knee
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2012, 07:47:13 PM »
I don't think PT is always necessary. It's possible to work on a lot of the same things at home, or a gym. As long as you're not just sitting around doing nothing, it could be fine.