Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Patellar resurfacing scheduled 30th July info pls???  (Read 5904 times)

Offline MRW

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Patellar resurfacing scheduled 30th July info pls???
« on: July 13, 2012, 11:37:07 AM »
Hi everyone,

For those that do not know me; I had a right TKR in April 2009 and have had ongoing pain ever since, I have always believed it to be weight bearing related (It is extremely painful when I take the weight off my leg after standing) but on closer examination I now think that it is related to the OA  in my patellar (Discovered after a arthroscopy) I have now noticed that as I lift my leg after standing my first trigger movement is to try to bend it, and it is the bending that is causing the pain (But only after standing, whist walking it is ok) it is only a very slight bend movement, but if I keep my leg locked straight I can lift it, I can’t believe that it has take me 3 years to realise this, ::) but it just goes to show how our bodies and a slight movement can deceive us. ???
I am scheduled to have the patellar resurfaced on 30th July (It was not resurfaced at the time of my TKR, it was just cleaned up)
Has anyone out there had a patellar resurfacing procedure done? If so, can you give me any advice/information as to what to expect, like what kind of recovery time should I expect etc? I understand that I will be staying in hospital for 3 nights so obviously it is no stroll in the park, :-\ but hopefully not as bad as the TKR :'( (At least I should lose some of the weight that I gained during my hols in Spain!!!!! Too much vino y tapas) :-X
I go to my pre-assessment clinic on Monday 23rd so will ask the surgeon some questions, but I have always found this site to be a mine of information and someone out there might bring up a question that I have not thought of.

Cheers, Martin ;)

Offline tiredmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Patellar resurfacing scheduled 30th July info pls???
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2012, 03:11:53 AM »
Hi Martin-
I am a 55 yr old female in Louisiana, USA.  I had a patellar resurfacing done exactly when you had your TKR, April '09.  5 weeks ago I had a TKR.  How ironic!!  I'm confused though.  When a patellar resurfacing is done, they put hardware behind the patellar AND in the femur.  So when I had my TKR my OS took that hardware out in order to put the TKR hardware.  It's almost like that would be a backwards step, but maybe it's a different procedure??  Do you know the brand of hardware being used for your patellar resurfacing?  I had Orthrosurface.

Good luck,
Lynn

Offline MRW

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2012, 11:19:17 AM »
Hi Lynn,

Thanks for you reply.
Yes it is ironic that you were having your patellae resurfacing when I had the TKR and now I am having my patellae done just after you having had a TKR, also, I was 55 when I had my TKR.
So, how is your TKR recovery going? I hope that you are at the stage where you can get a decent night’s sleep. How does the recovery compare to the Patellae resurfacing recovery? Please tell me that it is not as bad........ Pleeeeaaaasssssseeeeee.......  :'(
I have just read through some of you previous threads and I must admit that when you mentioned about not being able to lift your leg out of bed it did bring back some horrible memories, :-\ it also told me that I am in for yet another long trek along the long painful road to recovery, although you had hardware in your patellae and femur, hopefully I will only be having my patellae done.
I have the Zimmer NexGen CR Flex implant so I would think that the surgeon will fit the compatible Zimmer Patellae implant, I will ask him on Monday 23rd.
You are now 5 weeks out from your TKR so hopefully you are passed the worst; I guess you are now working on your ROM. I found that the best way was to do a little often, if I pushed myself too hard (Which is in my nature) I couldn’t do anything the following day, so please go easy on yourself you have got lot’s of time. Try not to rush back to work too early, delaying a couple of weeks now is better than having a month off later, it’s difficult I know but the TKR recovery is long and hard, but hopefully worth it.
All the best.

Cheers, Martin ;)

Offline wanna

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2012, 10:12:48 AM »
Good luck Martin.

Don't know anything at all about Patellar resurfacing, so can't help, however wanted to wish you well

I know from previous posts you have had some problems and seem to have a similar nature to myself in trying to do too much too early!

My OS is going thru a bit of a new  learning process with problems like yours and mine, and is convinced that many problems can be sorted by looking at the quads tendon, patella tendon and resurfacing.

Trying to lift a leg that just sits and won't move is a complete nightmare and I can sympathise.

Andy
82-carbon fibre Ligament construction
04/04- synovectomy after ACL snap
09/04- TKR
02/05- TKR revision
07/05 & 09/05 Joint out then Revision TKR
05/07 Revision TKR.
12/07 joint out Stge 1 revison,Stge 2 revision 03/08
08/09 Revision TKR
05/12 Quads Y plasty, scar removal & straight cast for 6 wk

Offline tiredmom

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 05:31:41 PM »
Martin-
My TKR recovery is very much like my patellar resurfacing surgery except that with the resurfacing I wasn't allowed to bend my leg - had to keep it straight in a brace for a few weeks.  I think that's why I went so long w/o being able to lift my leg.  With my TKR, I just had a scope in April and after that immediately started working my quad muscle.  My home health PT was shocked when he asked me to do a leg lift and I could!!  The worst feeling I'm experiencing right now, and will have a post out there shortly, is the tightening of the muscles around the knee.  This is a VERY de ja vue moment from my patellar resurfacing surgery :-[  It's like someone has a rope and is tightening it as much as possible around my knee and there's nothing I can do to relieve that tightening.  Is this normal?

Offline MRW

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2012, 12:26:02 PM »
Hi all,

I am now one week post op and feeling better by the day ;D, but still not sleeping very well at night….. Oh the memories of long painful sleepless nights. :'(
Although my knee is still hot enough to fry an egg on it and has that horrible internal acid burning feeling, I am today feeling positive and have slightly less pain. ;D
I know that I am only one week post op and very early days, but, I am very optimistic about this procedure. Although my patellar and surrounding soft tissues are still very painful I am not getting the terrible paralysing bone drilling pain from the arthritis, so fingers crossed.
The surgeon told me that he was very surprised to find a lot of scar tissue between the patellar tendon and tibia :o which took him 10 minutes to remove before he could get at the patellar, he said that he was surprised because I had such good ROM!!! Humm! Does this mean that we can still function OK with scar tissue? Is there a myth or handy excuse surrounding this scar tissue issue (Sorry about the rhyming) ;)
For anyone having or thinking about having this procedure.
I had to stay in hospital one day more than when I had the TKR because of pain and lack of ROM (My knee was Soooo swollen) the hospital that I used here in the UK no longer use a drain in the knee, they leave the fluid inside the knee because they have found that it aids the recovery!!!! They have also scrapped the morphine PCA thank god……. How things change in 3 years.
Day two and three I was doing hydrotherapy, ‘trying’ to do straight leg raises and ice.
Day four, home and ice, gentle physio, ice, ice, ice…….
Day five, still constipated, ice, gentle physio, ice, beer, ice, beer, ice, beer….. Ah :P
Day six, ice, toilet, ice toilet, toilet, toilet, toilet, ice, G&T, phew…… ::)
Day seven, ice, gentle physio, waiting for beer time ;D……… Ice……

Lynn,
I didn’t experience any muscle tightening with my TKR and haven’t with this procedure either so can’t help you there.
I hope that you are still on the mend.

Cheers, Martin :-*

Offline Redwing

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #6 on: August 06, 2012, 04:39:17 PM »
Hello Martin

I see the procedure has done nothing to dampen your sense of humour! ;D And so glad to hear you are on the mend.  I sincerely do wish you a speedy, full and pain free recovery.

Where did you have this done; same hospital and same OS as your TKR?   

I think you deserve to sit back with a beer and enjoy watching the Olympics while you do your leg lifts.
2001: first referral to OS for osteoarthritis in knees after about 5 years of OA pain.  Told I was too young for knee replacement.
July 2009 Bilateral arthroscopy
Jan 2010 TKR-right knee

support