Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Advice needed on pain at back of knee after running up a steep hill  (Read 1095 times)

Offline BobWilders

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hello, can someone please give me some advice on what the likely candidates are for the injury i have.  I took up running a few months ago and have got to a fairly good fitness of running 5 to 7k every other day.  7 days ago I ran up a very very steep hill and half way up i noticed a light pain at the back of my right knee in the centre.  The uncomfort and stiffness of the knee is getting better, but soon returns whenever i walk up a slope/hill. After walking up a hill it feels tender when i press right in the centre of the rear of the knee.  I appreciate it is difficult to diagnose without seeing the knee, but it would be good to have some ideas so that i can research further.  Also, i have rested all week, but was wondering if i could start running gently again on level ground or should i give it total rest until the discomfort has totally gone.
I would really appreciate any help anybody can give me.
Bob

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: Advice needed on pain at back of knee after running up a steep hill
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2012, 12:32:55 AM »
Best to get it examined by a doctor I think. It might be something like a hamstring strain. Also, try something easier on the knees until the pain goes away, because running and especially uphill running is very stressful for an injured knee.

Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:36:29 AM »
Hi Bob:   If you are still having pain after a week of resting, I would not continue running at all until you have a physician examine your knee.  Maybe using the elliptical at the gym (easier on the knee) for now would be an option but I would consult a physician about that as well.  One thing to keep in mind is  that if it bothers you knee then don't do it.    Hope this helps you.   LAS

Offline BobWilders

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2012, 08:26:41 PM »
Many thanks for your help.  I went to a physio today and he thinks i have strained the medial head of the gastrocremius, which i presume is part of the hamstring as suggested by you. You both advised me to see a physio which was the best advice given.  I stupidly was obsessed in try to self diagnose the problem myself rather than spend 40 and get it professionally diagnosed.  I wont make this mistake again.
thank you once again
bob

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2012, 06:28:05 AM »
The Gastrocnemius is the calf muscles and you have several bundles that join up around the back of the knee.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gastrocnemius_muscle

Take it easy with the uphill work and make sure you are thoroughly warmed up and fully stretched before you attempt that kind of run again as it will reoccur if you are not careful. I ripped mine playing hockey on a cold frosty November morning and have had problems ever since where they insert into the back of the knee if I try something to hard without being fully stretched.

:)

1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee