Advertisement - Hide this advert

Poll

Does the knee ever come back 100%?

ACL rehabilitation
0 (0%)
Results over time
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Been 15 months & knee still stiff  (Read 543 times)

Offline jesgal

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Been 15 months & knee still stiff
« on: July 12, 2012, 11:03:26 PM »
First time poster so I hope this is the correct place.  Looking for advice and experiences of others.  Does the knee ever come back 100%?  I tore my ACL, MCL and meniscus in October 2010.  My surgery was 15 months ago and I've been exceptionally dedicated to my physical therapy.  I am 45 year old woman who loves the outdoors.  I fly fish, rock climb, hike, ski, etc...  My doctor and physical therapist keep saying the knee should be the same as before but I'm about 75%.  

I need to bike every day or every other day, if I don't the knee stiffens and I have trouble walking or going down stairs.  If I stand stationary for over 15 minutes my knee will seize and become so stiff that I can't even walk.  I am dependant on the bike and specific exercises that build the muscles around the knee.  My MD says it's because I am a hyper-extender, very limber and I feel more than others and that my knee is fine.  I practiced yoga for over 10 years before my accident and could easily rest my legs behind my neck.  He says my flexion and extension is fine but the knee becomes stiff and tightens every now and then.  Also, part of the screw in my knee broke off in surgery and is on the medial side of my calf.  How it got there who knows?  

This only happens when I stand for long periods, use the knee in a repetitive manner or extreme twists with extension and weight.  Thanks for your advice, this bulletin board is invaluable!