Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: PFJR scheduled for September 25  (Read 18260 times)

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
Re: PFJR scheduled for September 25
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2012, 02:20:24 PM »
I have 15 days left.  I cannot wait!  I have my pre-op physical next Tuesday, and pre-op appointment with my OS on Wednesday.  I have a bunch of questions written down to ask him, one that I have been meaning to ask him for a long time is what type or PFJR system he is using.  I have seen a bunch of different ones on the internet, and watched a few surgeries on youtube.  They look pretty much the same, but some look easier as far as what the OS has to do because of the tools that the company made to go with their implants.
My OS has let me stay awake during my scopes and hardware removal, I am going to ask him if I could stay awake for this to watch.  I know this is major surgery, so I doubt he will let me.
I will let you guys know what goes on.  Hope everyone is doing well!
Dave

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2012, 05:37:06 PM »
This is so exciting! Finally on the home stretch. I'll be watching your PFJR closely, am following only 3 weeks after. Nothing but great results for you!
1975 Left Knee arthrotomy, no diagnosis
1984 Left Knee arthroscopy, no diagnosis
1987 Left Knee Lateral Release, successful
2007 Right Knee Lat. Release, unsuccessful
2011 chondromalacia patella, PF OA
        Arthroscopy, chondroplasty
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2012, 05:35:40 PM »
Hey Lisa, the home stretch it is!  I just got home from PT, and boy does it hurt!  But after just reading someone else's posts about breaking her knee cap and ending up with MRSA and now having her leg amputated above the knee, I feel like my problems are very small!
But, does MRSA go away?  I had MRSA in my knee back in November 2010, and that is when all my problems started.  Guess I will have to talk to my OS about it again.
Can't wait to see my OS next Wednesday to get my pre-surgery questions answered.  I got a letter in the mail from my insurance company, saying they approved me staying in the hospital for 3 days.  I am hoping that is all it will be!  My OS mentioned sending me to a rehab place already to make sure I get me knee and leg back to where it should be because of how long this has been going on. 
Well, I guess I will post again after I see my OS unless something else comes up.

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2012, 08:46:57 PM »
Well, I was supposed to have my pre-op appointment today.  Went to my OS office only to find out he had an emergency in the OR, and was now running hours late.  I had no problem waiting an hour or so because I had nothing else to do.  His secretary said I could come in Friday morning, and see him right away, so I figured I would do that.  So, I will see him then and update after.

Hope everyone else is doing well!

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2012, 10:32:27 PM »
Went to my OS today.  He did another full examination to see if there have been any changes to my knee that he could tell from the outside.  He then explained to me exactly what he was going to do.  He explained that the incision may look a little weird because he has to meet it up with the scar from when I had the Fulkerson done last December. 
After that, my wife and I assaulted him with questions!  I told him how nervous I was now, and even that I thought about canceling the surgery.  Told him all of my reasons why, and he reassured me that everything will be OK, and answered all of my questions in detail! 
My surgery is on Tuesday, he said he will try to get me in the first half of the day.  He said I will be kept in the hospital until Friday, then sent to an inpatient rehab facility for a week.  Because of the constant problems, and 5 surgeries over the last 2 years, my leg has withered away to nothing despite the continued physical therapy.  He said going to the rehab facility will ensure that we start off on the right foot, (no pun intended) to help recovery go as smooth as possible.
I am not planning on bringing my laptop to the hospital/rehab so you guys may not hear from me until about 2 weeks after my surgery.  I will have my iPhone on me, but it is not the easiest to post from.
Lisa, if I miss you before you go in, good luck, I hope everything works out well for you!
Dave

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2012, 04:10:01 AM »
I'm so happy that you're finally going to get some relief. I like the idea of a rehab facility after the hospital. I imagine they will be better able to control your pain while you get those muscles back in shape. Maybe your wife could post something for you so we will know how you're doing. I'm expecting glowing reports! Especially since mine is coming up soon, too. Surgery buddies rule!
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2012, 02:55:46 AM »
Sorry I have not posted in a while, things have been hectic! 

I had my surgery on Tuesday 9/25 as planned, and everything during the surgery went as planned.  I was given a nerve block, and had a q-pump with a catheter put in my leg to pump in Novocaine to the femoral nerve to help with pain control after the nerve block wore off.  I woke up from surgery with my leg in an immobilizer, and wrapped from the top of my thigh down to my toes.  My other leg had a compression stocking on it.  I spent 3 hours in recovery, and felt pretty good during that time. 

When I was moved, I was brought upstairs to my hospital room.  My leg was still numb from the block, so I felt pretty good.  My wife was able to bring my kids to come and visit, and I felt well enough to talk with them.  They had started to give me oral pain meds, percocet I think.  That night around 1 am, the block wore off, and here came the pain.  The nurse must have called the anesthesiologist that was on call about 5 times in an hour.  I have been on pain meds for so long that no matter what they gave to me, nothing helped.  After about 45 minutes, the nurse hooked me up to a PAC (patient controlled analgesia) machine, that basically was able to give me a dose of dilaudid every 6 minutes.  Within an hour or so, it caught up to the pain, and I was able to relax a bit. 

Around 9 am that morning (Wed 9/26), the nurses said I was green.  That tried to give me any nausea medicine they could, but nothing helped.  That had to take me off the PAC.  By 10am I was in the worst imaginable pain that my body has ever been put through!  Again, they tried different meds, and the nurses spoke to the on call anesthesiologist who finally said he cannot just keep mixing medicine.  I was in so much pain that I was so surprised that my body just didn't pass out.  My wife tried to talk to anyone she could, and no one had an answer on how to help me.  My OS's office is connected to the hospital, so she went there to try to get my OS.  This was around 4 in the afternoon.  When she went, my OS was coincidentally just getting to my room.  When he saw what shape I was in, the s**t hit the fan!  Within 2 minutes, I was hooked up to the IV with a bag of morphine, and an anesthesiologist was in my room to give me a shot down the catheter in my leg to numb it once again.  I was sound asleep within 15 minutes.  I woke up later that day much more comfortable, and found out that I was getting morphine every 3 hours now to stay on top of my pain.  That happened the rest of that night, and into the next morning (Thurs. 9/27).

That morning, my pain doctor came to meet me, got me off of the morphine and back on to all oral (stronger) pain meds.  Physical therapy was finally able to meet with me on Thursday too.  Walked a little bit with a walker, and started the CPM machine.  later that day, walked again with walker.  Once the pain was under control, I felt pretty good!

Friday, 9/28 walked with walker again further than I had yet.  Therapist said I was doing well.  I was going to be discharged from the hospital that day, my OS still really wanted me to go to an inpatient rehab center.

So, on Friday 9/28 I went to inpatient rehab, and have been here ever since today is Friday 10/5.  I have been doing PT sessions twice a day, and have progressed from a walker to a cane now.  I still do a CPM machine 6 hours a day and am up to 75*.  But when I work with my therapist, I can already bend past 95*.  I am glad I took my OS's advice and came to rehab, it has been great!  I am being discharged on Sunday, 10/7.

I really do not think I can keep up with a full post op diary again this time.  I will try to post again when I go home.

Hope everyone else is doing well!  Lisa, good luck on the 12th!

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2012, 04:22:10 AM »
I'm so glad they finally got your pain under control! Sounds like you're making good progress. A cane, really?! I'm impressed! Hope everything keeps going well.
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline Dave258

• Regular Poster
« Reply #23 on: October 12, 2012, 09:44:08 PM »
Hello everyone, Lisa I hope everything goes really well for you today!
I was discharged from inpatient rehab on Sunday, 10/07/12.  Because Monday was a holiday, I started PT on Tuesday.  I already noticed the strength and movement I had lost just since my last therapy session on Saturday.
I went to PT on Tuesday, Wednesday and Friday this week.  Pt is going well, I am using a step machine, riding a bike, doing some leg kicks then it is massage, ice and stim. 
I had my first follow up with my OS's PA yesterday, he removed the bandages I had which were some special bandage that had silver made into it to keep everything sterile, under that I had steri strips.  The PA said I was doing well, and that the next six weeks may be tough, but I have to just be strong and get through them.  He told me I can walk around my house without the cane, and gave me a green light to do all exercises at PT.

Offline stereohearts143

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #24 on: October 01, 2013, 07:41:46 AM »
Hey David,

I sincerely hope your rehabilitation has been fruitful, and that your knee troubles have disappeared.

Would you mind updating the rest of us on what your status is?
R antero-lateral condyle / trochlea ACI 2.0 x 2.5^2 July, 2012