Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee locking AFTER partial meniscectomy  (Read 3517 times)

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 61
Knee locking AFTER partial meniscectomy
« on: July 12, 2012, 07:16:22 AM »
Hi all,

5 weeks ago I tore my medial meniscus and the main symptom was a locked knee.  I had no pain at all and I could hobble around.  I could squat but I could not straighten my leg or bend my foot backwards at all (physio thought this was very odd!)

2 and a half weeks ago I had a partial meniscectomy which apparently went to plan.  However, since then my leg is still completely locked, I cannot weight bear at all and I have had a lot of pain.  I had an MRI yesterday and it didn't show up anything unusual.  My surgeon is away but I saw another OS and he said he had never seen anything like it.   Pain isn't stopping me from bending/straightening - I just can't physically move it.  My original surgeon is back next week and he may have some answers but until then does anyone know what is happening or had this happen to them?  I'd love to hear

Thanks

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
Re: Knee locking AFTER partial meniscectomy
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 11:53:14 PM »
Hi again

Here's an update for those interested.
I saw my surgeon last night and will have surgery on Friday to remove my plica.  The OS said it was pretty rare to have symptoms as extreme as mine but everything that I've read matches how I've felt post op - locked knee, collapsing knee, pain at the front of my knee and aches at night and whenever I stand up.

So, the plica was a red herring.  I needed a partial meniscectomy but it was the plica all along giving me the pseudo-locked knee.

Hopefully, after Friday I'm on the road to recovery and will be walking in no time.   I'll let you know...

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2012, 12:44:06 AM »
Hi there,

Just a note to say that I will pray for your speedy recovery.

Good luck and good healing :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline Kaddydee

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2012, 12:09:02 AM »
Thanks Linda!

I've had the op and now we wait.....

I've written more in the post-op diaries section.

support