Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: The waiting game...+ other issues?!!  (Read 1200 times)

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
The waiting game...+ other issues?!!
« on: July 12, 2012, 04:25:16 AM »
So yes, I am waiting for my OS to call and schedule an exploratory arthroscopy to assess the distruction of cartilage under my patella. Great! I'll be calling tomorrow to see if it has been approved, since it is a workers comp claim.

Question, Have any of you ever got bursitis in your ankle from over compensating on your ankle while walking around? what are some things you have done for it? How long did it take to go away? Any suggestions? I've been icing, and wrapping and elevating it, but almost any time on the joint starts it to flare up. It's on the outside of the bad leg right above the ankle. I keep looking up bursitis of the ankle, and it all appears to be achilies bursitis. I was diagnosed with it may 23rd. Should I go back and get it checked again or wait until after the surgery?

I'm just curious to your thoughts.
Thank you!!
*Kay*
'Runners' knee > Lateral Release 3/11
Minor Meniscus tear > clip 3/11
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
MRI > Cartilage missing = Cortisone + PT 5/12
Arthroscopy > cartilage missing, meniscus tear, & misalignment 8/12
TTO/ACI 10/13
Healing....for now :)
instability :/

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Re: The waiting game...+ other issues?!!
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2012, 05:07:39 AM »
When I had an MRI of my knee it revealed bursitis of the patella.   The OS said it was caused from compensating from the other knee that I had surgery on.
Even though it's not the ankle I think it can work the same way.   I got a shot of cortisone in the knee with the bursitis and it worked almost immediately
about 2 months ago and I still have no pain in that knee.  There is a tear as well in that knee but it's  not bothering me right now.  Hopefully when I see him again in August he won't tell me to get surgery.   We'll see.   I don't know if you can get cortisone in your ankle I don't see why not.   Something to follow up on.  I would get it checked out  and if you can,  take over the counter anti-inflammatory medication to help with the pain.   I did the icing, elevating and NASID's and it didn't work so the Dr. gave me cortisone.   However, if your having surgery on that knee, just being off of it for a week or so might help it.  In any event get it looked at.   Good Luck with your surgery.   LAS

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2012, 05:14:56 AM »
Thanks!! I'm going to call them in the morning, and see if i can move things along...

I am allergic to NSAIDs. :-/ last time i got it checked out, i ended up walking with prednisone, and they didn't want to give me a cortisone shot because i had just had one in the knee. It might be worth it. It just stinks trying to figure out how to walk. It like I am given a choice, 'which should you have hurt today, the knee or ankle?' then the inevitable happens, they both end up doing so.
*Kay*
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
TTO/ACI 10/13

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2012, 01:52:39 AM »
Have you tried a brace on your knee.  Maybe giving it some stability will help the ankle.  I have never heard of anybody complaining that their ankle was hurting because of the knee.   I have heard of hip and back pain on the same side and even the other knee.  Did you have an MRI of your ankle to determine whether or not it is related to the knee?   

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2012, 05:02:22 AM »
well, I had the PT tell me to work on walking on the heel more to support the knee, and it feels like it ended up putting  pressure on my ankle. thus the bursitis. I wrap them both. I have a sleeve for the ankle, and I have a breg- patella correcting brace as well as a huge ace bandage. I usually do the ace bandage at night during rest and night time routine, and the Breg while walking long distances. I have not had an MRI for the ankle. Thanks for your input :)
*Kay*
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
TTO/ACI 10/13

support