Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Help with MRI results  (Read 10512 times)

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Help with MRI results
« on: July 11, 2012, 01:39:28 PM »
   Earlier this year about 6-8 weeks ago I had my knee injured by an oposing fwd being knocked into me and lying on my lower leg and my defenceman then hit my upper body and pushed me on my back while the knee was held firmly by the fwd. After the usual RICE treatment and some antinflamitory pills I had no relief. I have just had my MRI and would like to know what it means as Im in need of a working knee to keep playing hockey. Here is what the results are

MRI Left Knee

67 year male

Clinical Indication: Subacute left Knee Injury 6 weeks ago. Persisting pain, weakness and Instability. Rule out ACL

Technique: Routine MRI of the left knee were acquired

Findings: The ACL is intact. There is increased signal intensity in the PCL in keeping with highgrade partial tearing. There appear to be a few intack PCL firers.

There is periligamentous edema surrounding the proximal medial collateral ligament. The proximal superficial MCL fibers demonstrate diffuse increased signal intensit with thickening and partial tearing in keeping with grade 2 MCL injury. Some intact MCL firers are visualized. The deep fibers of the medial collateral ligament are not well visualized and likely torn.

There is irregularity on the undersurface of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus with a possible small flap fragment flipped inferiorly into the gutter.

The lateral collateral Ligamentous complex is unremarkable. No tear of the lateral meniscus identified.

Diffuse cartilage thinning in the medial tibioferoral compartment with multifocal partial thickness defects. Diffuse patellar cartilage thinning with multifocal full thickness defects and minimal reactive marrow change marrow signal is otherwise withing normal limits,

The extensor mechanism is intact. No intraarticular bodies are identified. There is a small joint effusion. No Bakers cyst.

Impression

1. High-grade partial tear of the PCL
2. Grade 2 medial collateral ligament injury as described
3. Undersurface tear of the posterior horn and body of the medial meniscus with a possible small flap fragment fliffed inferiorly into the gutter
4. Moderate to high-grade chondromalacia patella, Multifocal moderate medial tibiofermoral compartment chondromalacia

Thats it... and the defenceman only bought me one beer after the game, I think I should ask for a few more... ;)

Any help would be appreciated as Id would like to be resonable informed when I get to see the knee doctor I hope I havent made too many errors with my really old typing skills   

Is there anything I can do to get in better shape (knee wise) so that things will get better quicker

tks  Raymond
« Last Edit: July 11, 2012, 01:41:24 PM by raymond47 »

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Help with MRI results
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2012, 09:24:13 PM »
I talked to the Doctor's office today and it seems there will be a 6 to 9 month wait just to go and see  him... Is there a way to get this leg back in shape without surgury as the wait time is way too long for me to be out of work and off skates... Any help would be appreciated as just sitting around and getting fat is no fun     tks

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2012, 09:52:56 PM »
hi, before i suggest any thing I'm not a doctor but for almost 10 years i have had awful knee problems and i have had everything and finally ended up with surgery. The doctors usually send people for physio first so while waiting on the doctors building your quad muscles is the best idea. hold your leg out straight while sitting and lift it up and down 10 times 3 times a day lying down on a bed and using a sliding board below your foot slide the heel of your leg into your bum bending your knee towards the ceiling. If you dont have a sliding board use a plastic bag it works just as well. This makes the sliding easier as there is no friction. these 2 exercises are simple and not too strainious so they wont do damage but will lightly build up the thigh muscles helping to protect the knee. hope this helped a bit and keep posting how your progress goes!! :) good luck!
2002-2012 regular dislocations of both knees, tried everything from braces and casts to physio.
June 2012 MPFL surgery on both knees

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2012, 08:29:24 PM »
Tks for the exercises.   I talked to the physiotherapist today and he said that if I get the repair done by surgery that I would probably be replacing the knee within 5 years... He said a brace would be better than surgery, at a cost of 12 to 1500 dollars... has anybody heard of this and is the brace a better idea? 

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 02:10:46 AM »
braces are a good "get me through". However they aren't a cure. In all reality, although they will "kind of" hold things in place with a meniscus + PCL tear it might be a better idea to try and see a different OS. Do some quad exercises but I'd try to see another doctor. By the sounds of it, you're in for a TKR eventually anyway, again discuss this with the dr's
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 02:35:03 AM »
Try to get another appointment sooner.  You have alot going on in your knee and it may begin to lock up on you.    PT is good but you have ligament damage.   Where do you live?   LAS

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 02:57:23 AM »
Try to get another appointment sooner.  You have alot going on in your knee and it may begin to lock up on you.    PT is good but you have ligament damage.   Where do you live?   LAS

I live in Ontario Canada just north of Toronto. I just don't want to miss a whole year of hockey as time is not on my side right now... I am worried about the "if you get surgery now you will have to have a knee replacement in 5 years" comment from the therapist.

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2012, 03:02:26 AM »
braces are a good "get me through". However they aren't a cure. In all reality, although they will "kind of" hold things in place with a meniscus + PCL tear it might be a better idea to try and see a different OS. Do some quad exercises but I'd try to see another doctor. By the sounds of it, you're in for a TKR eventually anyway, again discuss this with the dr's

Will keep looking for a different OS if my doctor will go along with my fishing for a quicker repair... Do you thing a brace will at least get me through some of the hockey season till I can get it repaired. The knee plays a big part of my game as Im a butterfly goalie, and play in a competitive over 35 league

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 04:14:43 PM »

Will keep looking for a different OS if my doctor will go along with my fishing for a quicker repair... Do you thing a brace will at least get me through some of the hockey season till I can get it repaired. The knee plays a big part of my game as Im a butterfly goalie, and play in a competitive over 35 league

The brace would help but you will still be tearing more and more of the articular cartlidge and meniscus away, as a guy who has played hockey with a bum knee, I would advise against it. The possibilty to injure the knee more is too great of a risk for some hockey. Just my opinion though, an OS would be able to give a more knowledged response to that.
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 03:00:10 AM »
Ill make an appointment with my regular doctor and hopefully by then I will have heard from the OS and maybe get some answers from him...   tks for a different point of view   in the meantime I will be following a good program to keep the tummy down and the leg strong... Gonna get the wife to hide all the beer...hehehe

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 03:29:14 AM »
A brace is a good idea the more portection to your knee the better it will be.   It doesn't sound like a good idea to play hockey right now with all that you have going on.  Keep pushing  for sooner appointment.   It sounds like you are headed for surgery sooner rather than later whether you need a TKR or not.
5 years is a long way off.   Don't be worried right now.    LAS

Offline raymond47

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 02:18:54 PM »
Quickie update...

Went to a Sports clinic Dr. and had a good exam and she explained the MRI to me along with a lot of poking and pulling and twisting on the knee... (should of done this first thing) She said the tares on . the ligaments usually are not operated on these days and the new OS (Sept 11/12) will give the final word. The meniscus tear he might operate if its getting in the way of recovery... I'm now doing physio therapy (with no extended health care its a bit costly) with a proper therapist and after one day of torture with her I finnaly have hope that things have got on the right track...
I really appreciate the help and guidance show me here during this time of trial with the old knee... Now its strenthing and stretching of old and tired muscles to get the leg ready of what is in store for it (just like advised here)  Ill keep the thread going as things progress and the knee gets better... (hockey cant be too far away I hope)

support