Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: ttt questions  (Read 1610 times)

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
  • They sed this wouldnt last, well there wrong!!!!!!
ttt questions
« on: July 10, 2012, 01:03:30 AM »
Im going to see my os tomorrow and the last time i saw him he recommended a ttt because my lateral release that he had done didnt do the trick, so i was wondering if anyone could give me ideas of what to expect and  ??? what to ask him tomorrow. thank you :)
*25 years old
* right scope aug 16-plica removal-sheet
* left scope dec 18-lateral release and plica removal,partial synovectomy,and debridement
 2 cortisone shots
*left scope sept 13-ttt,and lateral release,well see what else? And placed 2 screws

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: ttt questions
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 02:17:51 AM »
Hi,
I had a TTT post failed LR 19 months ago. It hurts like hell, takes a long to rebuild the muscles and you will need to get the hardware out after one year or so if you ever want to kneal. However, it has worked great. I have the occasional weather related pains but doing fine. I can jog a bit (but was never a runner to begin with), I can wear high heals without pain or instability. Build up your thigh muscles as much as you can before the surgery to less the recovery time. You will want to do it in the summer months. I did mine in winter which was a big problem with crutches and snow.
I have found that each OS is different. I did not have a CPM but I did have a game-ready for the first two weeks. Make sure that you get a femoral block (goes into the back of your thigh). The blocks at the knee do not cover everything that will hurt.
Good luck!!
Cat
Catherine H.
Pediatric Nurse Practitioner

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 02:21:52 AM »
@momma-cat
thank you the problem is i want to build up quads and my muscles but every exercise i do i get extreme pain, so im not sure what to do now.
*25 years old
* left scope dec 18-lateral release and plica removal,partial synovectomy,and debridement
 2 cortisone shots
*left scope sept 13-ttt,and lateral release,well see what else? And placed 2 screws

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »
xbeentoolongx,
I hear ya. Building up the muscles can be very painful when there is already so much damage. I just found out that I have stage 4 chondromalacia on my right knee with menisci degeneration, bone marrow edema, and bone spurs on the tibial plateau. The TTT was on my left and was fixed at stage 3 chondromalacia. I am hoping my OS tells me I just need a TTT on my right rather than a TKR - I just turned 40 2 weeks ago - I am too young for this  ;D
Cat
Catherine H.

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 03:08:09 AM »
i hear ya. your still young, i agree. he said i would be non weight bearing for at least 6 weeks, is everyone different? what kinds of questions should i ask him tomorrow, thank you for your response cat

heather
*25 years old
 2 cortisone shots

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 03:16:12 AM »
Heather,
Funny thing - just got off the phone with my OS. I will have a Maquet procedure (similar to TTT) with microfracture of the patella next week.

Questions - get your rehab broken down for you - this will give you goals to meet. For instance many OS's will let you toe touch the day after surgery and start bending your knee with your hands doing the movement right away. Find out what he expects and when.

Will you be able to get a block

When do you start formal physical therapy

When can you start driving

Depending on your job will depend on when you can go back. I am a nurse practitioner so I am up and down all day so I was out for 6 weeks, half days for one week then decreased patient load for 2 more weeks - by then I was walking without my brace half days.

Ice will be your very best friend so make sure you have plenty of access to that or can you get a game-ready for the first couple of weeks.

Hope this helps.
Cat
Catherine H.

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:53:32 AM »
Q's to ask:
Will you be on crutches? How long? Partially WB or not?
Will you have a brace?
Overnight stay?
How about pain management?
Wich anesthesia is recommended and are you ok with that? Femoral block (optional)?
What can you do post-op and what not? And what absolutely not?
When will you start PT? Which exercises can you already do yourself?
When can you start to drive (R/L leg, manual/automatic car)
How long off work (what's you job)?
Are you on any meds, if yes, ask if you can keep taking them.
What to prepare at home (do you have stairs ...)?

About the screws, they do not have to be taken out, most OS do remove them. Mine are still in my knee, 10 years post-op, no problems.

Good luck !!
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »
leentje,

thank you for your response. i will be sure to ask him

heather
*25 years old
 2 cortisone shots

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2012, 03:55:20 AM »
my os  suggested fulkerson modification --elmslie-trillat procedure along with a possible lateral release, what is the difference between a regular ttt and this or are they the same thing?    also do you any of you recommend a website that will help me prepare and read up more on this procedure?
and what do you recommend for this surgery to  be comfortable afterwards,seeing as i will be nwb for 6 weeks. ?? so many questions
*25 years old
 2 cortisone shots

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2012, 08:11:11 PM »
I had a fulkerson TTT 19 months ago and I was toe touch weight bearing to partial weight bearing in 2 weeks.  I was full weight bearing as tolerated by 6 weeks. I started PT 2 weeks post op. There are many tibial tuberosity transfers - fulkerson is moving it to the side. I am having a maquet which is just moving it outwards. Get a femoral block, that helps so very much for the first day or so. Then I was on extended release percocet for the first two weeks. Your biggest best friends will be ice and elevation.
If you go to wheeless online, it will break down each of the surgeries for you. It is a great reference.
Good luck and keep us posted!!
Cat
Catherine H.

Offline xbeentoolongx

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2012, 04:33:20 AM »
cat,
 my os said he would do a femoral block, but how does that work, do they do it while your asleep? thank you for responding. i will my  surgery isnt until sept.. so im trying to get everything together....
*25 years old
 2 cortisone shots

Offline momma-cat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #11 on: July 17, 2012, 01:49:30 PM »
The femoral block is great. It goes into the back of your thigh and is guided by ultrasound so that the anesthesiologist is not just fishing around in there. They should sedate you with a little versed and pain medication IV for it because it still does hurt but you won't remember. If they mix it with clonodine, it will last 20+ hours, if they don't then it lasts 8 hours or so. It is the best way to be able to go home and get on top of the pain before you actually feel it.
Cat
Catherine H.

support