Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: How do I increase range of motion?  (Read 1154 times)

Offline runner7

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
How do I increase range of motion?
« on: July 09, 2012, 04:37:21 AM »
I had the OATS procedure exactly 2 weeks ago to repair a small cartilage/bone defect on the medial femoral condyle.

I've been using the CPM machine 4 hours a day, but in terms of knee flexion exercises, I've probably been too conservative (thinking that having stiff muscles would be an appropriate trade-off over screwing up the cartilage/bone plug immediately).  Well, the area that was plugged seems to be doing fine, but my ROM has been stuck at 65-70 degrees the last few days.

And now I'm a bit scared because I read that if you don't increase it enough, it can get stuck like this and the surgeon has to put you back under anesthesia to force the knee to bend, all the while breaking up scar tissue and stuff.  This doesn't sound good for the recovery process.

So what sort of things can I do to help this along a bit?  At physical therapy, they've been pushing my knee over 70 degrees, but it kind of hurts.

I'm 22 and (was) a D1 athlete before this, so I don't think I should be having ROM issues this long.

Thanks!

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
Re: How do I increase range of motion?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2012, 10:33:26 AM »
you can do heel slides, wall slides as exercises you can do outside the cpm. I would think you'd be doing heel slides at therapy. Heel slides are where you sit on the floor with a long belt or towel, loop it around the heel, and flex the knee as far as you can yourself, and then use the belt/towel to assist with bending the knee just a little more, holding it for 5-10 seconds each time you bend the knee. You don't pull strongly, you just put enough tension on it that you add a little more to the bend than you could achieve on your own, so you don't injure it. Wall slides are where you lay on your back with your behind up by the wall, with your feet in the air and let your heels slide down the wall, bending the knee as much as you can, letting gravity assist the bend. If the pressure becomes too much, you can put the ankle of the good knee behind the ankle of the bad knee to control the downward assist of gravity. I used to do this, holding the bend for 30sec intervals while watching tv - 30 on 30 off a few times, take a break, do over. then ice.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline runner7

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: How do I increase range of motion?
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2012, 02:59:20 AM »
I just realized I forgot to thank you.  I saw your post and took your advice, but I think I read it on my phone and couldn't easily reply.  So I just wanted to let you know I appreciate it!