Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: can't bend my knee - locked straight  (Read 4234 times)

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
can't bend my knee - locked straight
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:42:58 PM »
Need some help, got the same surgery on both knees (yes unfortunately at the same time) and got the hamstring removal the knees screwed into place and the mpfl . . Well you get the idea I've has them all done in one go, very painful. But my left leg won't bend its locked straight :( can anyone help me get it to bend or exercises for physio . . I won't have physio for another 3 weeks at least and really need it to bend!

Thanks in advance. :)
2002-2012 regular dislocations of both knees, tried everything from braces and casts to physio.
June 2012 MPFL surgery on both knees

Offline The KNEEguru

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 111
  • The KNEEguru
    • The KNEEguru
Re: can't bend my knee - locked straight
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 08:35:22 PM »
Hi
1. Do you mean that you have had MPFL reconstructions on both knees using hamstrings autograft (ie hamstrings from yourself)?

2. Also, how long ago were the operations?

KNEEguru
--
KNEEguru

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 09:48:50 PM »
Yes both legs at the same time and hamstring from me. And had the things on the outside of the knees losened. Can't remember the names and operation 20th june 2 weeks ago.
2002-2012 regular dislocations of both knees, tried everything from braces and casts to physio.

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 11:59:57 PM »
First, don't panic. Range of Motion (ROM) is hard to get back after MPFL reconstructions and completely normal for your leg to tighten up.

Second, you definitely don't want to overdue it the first few weeks, You want to give those grafts a chance to heal some. Does your doctor want you working at bending it at this point? Every doctor seems different with protocol and you should check with them before taking on any exercises.

If your OS wants you working on ROM before you start physio - heel slides are good, or just gently let gravity do the job (I used to sit on the edge of a bed and just let my knee slowly and gently bend down) but do not push through and force it. Just keep repeating for 5-10 minutes, all passive motion.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline emm10161301

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 09:37:37 AM »
See I haven't seen my consultant from the day of the opp and he hasn't told me if I'm allowed to bend or not. Also I was onlky given the zimmer so I am fully weight bearing on my legs so I don't know what I'm supposed to do. But I'll try them :) thank you!