Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Working with a partial meniscetomy  (Read 949 times)

Offline thetruthh34

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Working with a partial meniscetomy
« on: July 04, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
hi everyone,

I work at a very busy restaurant that requires me to walk fast, stand on my feet, and bend.
I do not squat or anything like that, and I do not lift very heavy things.

Just wondering do you think that I am hurting my knee (acclerating the arthritis process) or do you think I should quit and get a office (clerk) job.

I am 24 years old, and I keep thinking about how hard it might be to go to work when I get older once I get arthritis due to my partial meniscetomy. how will i be able to survive without working.

thanks in advance.

Offline Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 404
  • Neelie knee!
Re: Working with a partial meniscetomy
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2012, 06:28:49 AM »
Are you able to do your current job without pain?  There are plenty of people out there, including professional athletes, who carry on as normal once they have recovered from menisectomies.  Have you discussed this with your OS to help allay some of your concerns - not knowing your knee, people on here really cannot advise you about your future career or prognosis - only a professional who knows your knee and full history can do this.  Has your surgeon told you that you are at particularly high risk of developing arthritis for some reason, or have you just read this?

I had a partial menisectomy a couple of years ago, have a focal defect in my lateral condyle and softening all over the tibia.  I have a pretty full on office job that involves sitting, but also right now, a lot of long and short-haul travel.  It is actually the sitting in a cramped position that tends to annoy my knee most, not moving around - activity is actually good for knees.  I am 40 next week  :o  and, physicially, I am perfectly capable of working very long hours in my job (I can be sitting for 12 hours a day in very busy times)... I am in Japan right now for example!

My take - you are still young, live your life as you wish and worry about what might never happen if and when it does  - it is not inevitable that you get arthritis, it could be 30+ years, you had some of just one of your meniscii removed if I recall :)

Don't let the knee dictate what you do while it doesn't have to ;)
« Last Edit: July 04, 2012, 06:31:46 AM by Vickster »
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Working with a partial meniscetomy
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:42:02 AM »
I find sitting at the computer too long leaves my knee in agony I have to get up and move around quite a lot or the pain just builds and builds, atm I couldn't do an intensive office job without visiting the photocopier/coffee machine etc every half hour. They do say exercise and keeping mobile is good for arthritis and good for keeping it at bay so I think you really need to talk to your doctor.

support