Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Bored! Bored! Bored! Any ideas?  (Read 1926 times)

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Bored! Bored! Bored! Any ideas?
« on: July 03, 2012, 01:17:33 PM »
Hi all

Well im 3 weeks post op now and gradually managed to get on top of the pain (how many pills can anyone possibly take before they rattle!).  I was in hospital for 5 days and found out from physio that not only did they do the Meniscus Transplant, HTO and ACL revision they also did microfracture surgery as well.  They actually ran out of time during the surgery and had to pay the theatre staff extra to stop on! A grand total of 8 hours!

Anyways, i was hoping all you guys post op and lying in bed with nothing to do could give me some ideas? I have watched nearly every new film and series possible and have another 4 weeks non weight bearing to cope with.

Plus also I still havent found anyone whose had all these ops together and really want to get some timescales on getting back to things like work, and sports and golf! (yes the craving is still there).

Anyway thanks for any up and coming suggestions.

'96 ACL reconstruction
'09 Arthroscopy/cartilage repair
Diagnosed with Grade 4 OA no medial cartilage and significant varus alignment
'11 fitted with off loading knee brace
'12 HTO, meniscus transplant, acl reconstruction & microfracture all in 1 go!

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
Re: Bored! Bored! Bored! Any ideas?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 01:40:21 PM »
wow that a lot of work to have done at once, i had the micro-fracture and later release and was in bed too doing sod all for 7weeks post op, i know how that feels being fed up and bored because i ws going out of my mind with boredom, took my about 12 weeks post op to be walking around normal-ish and 10months to be at where i am now
good luck

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:38:15 PM »
Someone I know built a pretty large model of the Eiffel Tower out of matchsticks after a motorbike accident. Personally I'd have poked them in my eyes but it kept him busy for weeks! Then he built a Formula 1 car (not life size and not from matchsticks...), then wrote a blog about something, then decided to get in touch with his creative side and tried to learn to knit (lasted half a day), and then did an online course in something related to his job so he actually gained something positive out of his period of recovery - he was off his feet for about 8 months though, nasty leg breakages.

Now he just rides his motorbike again.  ::) 8)

hang in there, it is truly is dull!

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:44 PM »
Thanks guys!  I hadnt thought of matchsticks although at 1am and rolling around could be a good idea!

What is the lateral release rob? if you dont mind me asking ive heard that from lots of people with the microfracture. 
'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 03:46:42 PM »
well mine i was told was bad knee tracking so the surgeon said

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 06:18:34 PM »
Hey lottie if your around still today

i see you mentioned Mr Tim Spalding a while back to a user and said hes well respected.  He did my op also and id heard really good things about him.  I wrote to 150 hospitals as Birmingham ones wouldnt do anything and he was the only guy who responded! hes done a really clean and good job it would appear based on what ive had done but good to hear you heard good things too!

good to hear from you!
'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline Lottiefox

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 06:25:12 PM »
Hi

Yep, I understand Tim Spalding has a good reputation. A member on KG called Rennschenke has had surgery with him for MACI (harvesting, growing and grafting cartilage into defects) and has had various complications (not due to him!)  but always found him to be on the ball. You're Midlands based then?

A lateral release is when the surgeon releases the lateral structures that anchor the patella. There is a good section on the Information Hub here if you're really bored! It is a debatable procedure but when used for the right reasons can help with patella tilt.

You've had a fair old amount of work done, it is good you found a surgeon who could do it. I think you're in very safe hands!

What about cross stitch?  :P  You could do a working diagram of the knee....

Lottie
Bilateral patella OA since 2009, no surgeries.
Euflexxa working well x3 to current
Right forefoot CRPS post fusion surgery 2011
Refusing to let the ailing parts stop me....

Offline ricoshay

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 06:31:39 PM »
I got myself some language disks to try to learn something new whilst I'm off work - a bit geeky, I know, but it keeps your brain active.........

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 06:56:47 PM »
there are colleges that let you audit their online classes for free, you don't have to pay tuition, since you're not getting credit - maybe look into some of that?

There's only so many computer games you can play, I know....I listen to audiobooks a lot, having someone read ME a story is an interesting change of pace...especially when I hurt. 

You could try seeing if you can get a friend to bring you a plain old-fashioned glue-together model- pick a plane, a car, something, and don't forget to have them bring a tube of glue and a pack of toothpicks to apply it with. that could keep you busy for quite a while.

Yeah... I know about trying to see how many pills you can take before you rattle... been there done that.... complained to the doc about taking so many, and he told me that I'll know when I don't need to take so many... was almost a month before I could stop taking the max dose after that last op.... miserable... was nearly 4mos before i could walk without a cane or anything... 2 mos of that was nwb. So I feel ya.

multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline maryc

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 18
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 07:08:57 PM »
Check out the games section of this board
8/4/07 fell
8/5 diagnosed TPF
8/6 surgery plate and 6 screws
8/12 out of hospital NWM
8/21 staples removed
9/18 OS appt - WBAT with crutches
10/10 - WBAT with cane
10/27 - back to work w/cane
12/26 - no cane, slight limp when tired
1/25/08 - released from PT, no limp
2/3/09 - Released by OS

Offline silverghost

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 08:31:29 PM »
Yep Lottie in Birmingham so had a bit of a jaunt to rugby but seems to be worth it!

some good ideas from all of you guys I think Ill deffo look into the online marking might be quite fun and take my mind off the pain!

not sure about the airfix might end up gluing my bits to the bed or chair and cant get around enough yet anyhow! cheers guys!
'96 ACL reconstruction

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2012, 01:30:39 AM »
I use a piece of plywood for a "bed platform" that I can set over on the side, or put on my lap and do things on. works pretty well. I took a piece of plywood 12" deep, 30" wide and varnished it, and put a microbead pillow stapled to the underside so it conforms to my lap, and it works nicely for my laptop, or for a craft project, or whatever. it's twice the size of any lapdesk you can find - much handier for doing things while stuck in bed....

If you can find one, one of those hospital tables on wheels works wonders.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.