Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Please need advice  (Read 1217 times)

Offline Scortan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Please need advice
« on: July 02, 2012, 05:02:35 PM »
Hello people, firstly thank you for your web page, bulletin board and so on. I think it's really good.
Right, let tell you here my problems and to get an advice if you are available to do it please.

One year ago had a car crash accident in my native country which is not The UK.
The treatment takes long time, approximately more than three mounts.The doctor puts my right knee in something like an extension as I said for more than three mounts. When I come back to my home I've not been able to bend it or to straight up.
Now with rehabilitation treatment, I'm able to bend it maximum 90 degrees or to straight up maximum 20 degrees.
It's weird , but my rehabilitation guy said to me probably the problem comes from the muscles,he makes every single day massages to awake up the muscles and so on. But I cannot get something, when I put some of heavy things ( to straight up) the knee , I'm getting the measure 25-26 degrees, if you know what do I mean...
The rehabilitation guy said also to me that maybe it's a problem from my previous disease which I've been suffered before. The disease is Cerebral Palsy. He said to me also that people with Cerebral palsy have some problems in them knees and so on...Anyway.

So maybe that means - my muscles of my leg are not developed properly yet...
As I said I'm trying to straight up the leg, but it's really painful and I don't have any opportunity to do it.
Now the rehabilitation guy offers to me to do manual therapy, but the pain is really strong when he does that...Not sure what I have to do. Is it normal all of that problems with my knee, I mean do not be able to straight up properly, or bend it? Also do you know some pills (medicines) to relax and to remove the pain from the knee?
Please if someone is able to give me a hand to type it here.
Cheers!
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 05:27:38 PM by Scortan »

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Please need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2012, 12:22:58 AM »
Hello Scortan,

Sorry to hear you are having problems with your knee.  90 degrees of flexion is a good starting place, but I understand your frustration about not being able to straighten your knee.  Walking with a bent knee can lead to other difficulties, so you are wise to continue working on it with a PT. 

Since you are having difficulty straightening, be sure that you are doing the little things on your own to help your progress.  When you sit with your legs elevated, be sure that you never put anything under the knee (like a pillow).  You need to keep it as straight as possible.  Try sitting with your feet on a chair the same height as the one you are seated on and leave your knee unsupported for as long as is comfortable (great when you are watching television).  This will help you give a gentle stretch to the muscles.  When you are able to do this comfortably, try putting something under your feet on the chair to increase the stretch.

I am sure you have exercises like heel slides to work on your bending, but here are a couple of things that have worked well for me. Try lying on your back and bring your knee to your chest and let the weight of your leg bend your knee.  If this is too painful, support the bad leg with the foot of your good one to lessen the pressure.  You can also try putting your foot on the second stair or on a chair and lean forward and bend your knee forward in a gentle lunge.  A chair with arms is great to use if you need the arms for balance.

After surgery many people have to "wake up" their leg muscles and yours are a little more difficult because of the CP.  The tendency to spasm from CP doesn't mean that you won't be able to get the flexion and extension back-it just means that you will need to make extra effort.  Keep at it and you will succeed.

Good luck and let us know how things progress. :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2012, 02:06:54 PM »
Have you gone back to your doctor regarding this?

Aside from the other possible reasons mentioned, it could be something like scar tissue in the joint or a contracture.
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Scortan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2012, 04:50:37 PM »
Have you gone back to your doctor regarding this?

Aside from the other possible reasons mentioned, it could be something like scar tissue in the joint or a contracture.

Aye, it's a contracture...Honestly I don't want to meet up my doctor anymore, that because he made really wrong surgery intervention on the another leg. He Puts the screw from the nail in wrong place, makes my left leg shorter than another one. I paid lot of money and that's not makes me happy to come back to the Doctor.
Anyway, at the moment I'm trying to get whole movement of m knee , but the bending is too difficult for now...
« Last Edit: July 03, 2012, 04:58:19 PM by Scortan »

Offline Scortan

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2012, 04:57:18 PM »
Cheers Linda for ur replay...Well, I'm trying to do the best for my knee, I'm taking lot of medicines such as Vitamins, Amino Fuel, Magnesium and so on.
Also doing 5-6 times per day exercises, trying to walk with elbow crutches, but my ankle is not on the right way, I mean I'm not able to stay with it on the floor...That because my knee...
Of course I'll let you know here details about my X-rays, Tomographic representations and so on, to get details about my situation at the moment...
Thanks again for ur advice!

support