Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Pain In the Back of My Knee????  (Read 4397 times)

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Pain In the Back of My Knee????
« on: June 30, 2012, 10:55:28 PM »
Hi everyone!

I have been having knee pain ever since I was in junior high and I will be a senior in high school this fall. I am a competitive horseback rider (I jump horses internationally year round and am homeschooled because of it). I ride anywhere from 6 to 8 hours a day and train about 2 to 4 in the gym. My coach has been really good with dealing with my knee pain and our barn trainer and I are basically best friends haha! I had surgery on my knee two years ago. I had a lateral release and medial reefing done. Everything went perfectly and I went back to riding in about 2 months. I haven't had any problems with my knee until...

A few weeks ago my knee started bothering me terribly! Some of the pain around and under my knee cap has returned although it feels relatively stable. But what I am more concerned about is this sharp tearing pain that I feel in the back of my knee. Like I said it is a sharp pain that is made worse by bending, walking, squatting or hyper-extending my knee (I know that sounds weird but my knees naturally hyper extend). Ice helps but it has been going on so long and I just don't know what to do. It feels like something in the back of my knee is pulling apart every time I put weight on it. I stopped my training a few days ago and the pain has calmed down a little but it is still there and I leave for Spain in a week and a half for a HUGE competition that I can't miss. The knee itself is not swolllen so that's good but I just don't know what to do! I don't want to go to the doctor because I am scared of what he might say but I know I should go.

Any ideas????? Thanks!

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
Re: Pain In the Back of My Knee????
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
I guess I'm a little lost because I thought you had an MPFL reconstruction not too long ago because the original lateral release and medial reefing failed.

Does it hurt only in the back of the knee or along the joint line as well? Is the same pain from riding too soon after the MPFL surgery or a different pain?
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 11:28:20 PM »
I did have an MPFL done a few months ago but that was for my other knee haha! And my MPFL knee has been doing amazing!!!!! It does hurt from riding a little but it is mostly just muscle pain, stiffness and soreness.

And it is mainly just the back of my knee but what do you mean by the joint line?

Offline crankerchick

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 26
  • How 'bout them Cowboys!
    • Derotation osteotomy & TTT Post-op diary
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2012, 11:44:42 PM »
Oh ok I got it. So you have had surgery on both legs and this is the other leg that is bothering you. You need to tell your trainers so you can see a doctor since it hasn't responded to the normal treatment of ice and elevation and rest. It could be any number of things so hard to say. I know I personally had pain hyperextending my knee after plica surgery for a long while that I just contributed to scar tissue since my PT never had me work that leg through the full of range of motion that my knee goes through, the reason being a knee isn't "supposed" to hyperextend so she always had me stop my stretching before hyperextending. I just kept working my leg daily though hyper extension and using a foam roller for months and it eventually subsided. Your pain, however, sounds debilitating and the fact that you also have some patella pain returning is disconcerting. Without some kind of imaging it is hard to say what might be going on.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2012, 11:51:13 PM by crankerchick »
Mar '07 - plica excision
Oct '09 - femoral + tibial derotational osteotomy & TTT
Aug '10 - hardware removal
"You control your leg. Don't let it control you." -Smart trainer
"Get your a$$ in gear and go for it! Nothing will happen until you make it!" -Smart doctor

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2012, 03:21:37 AM »
Also pain in the back of the knee could mean a cyst.   A cyst can also be associated with another problem such as a meniscus tear.   The joint line is on the inside of your knee and usually with a meniscus tear you would have pain in that area.  You can have a cyst without the tear as well.   After the competition I would consult a physician and get some imaging done to determine what is causing the pain.    Good Luck with the competition! LAS

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2012, 04:40:31 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys!!! And yep its the other knee now *sigh*

Last night my trainer asked if my knee is getting any better and I am not the type to admit to pain but she know me so well so she knew it wasn't getting any better. Since I am technically considered a junior pro my awesome surgeon gave me his cell number and if anything ever happens he stops by our stable and training facility to check my knee out. So she called him and he said he is out of town this weekend and in surgery all day Monday so I have to go in first thing Tuesday morning and he said he will most likely wend me right down for an MRI. I hate going to the doctor but I feel like I should get this checked out. I am also curious to see what could be going on in my knee this time!

Your pain, however, sounds debilitating and the fact that you also have some patella pain returning is disconcerting.
I am hoping that I don't have to have another surgery but the fact that the patellar pain has returned does concern me too. I REALLY don't want to have an MPFL reconstruction again but at the same time I REALLY don't want to dislocate my knee.

Also pain in the back of the knee could mean a cyst. A cyst can also be associated with another problem such as a meniscus tear.
What does a cyst feel like or waht are some of the symptoms? My trainer brought up a meniscus tear as well. So I guess i'll just wait and see what my surgeon thinks!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2012, 01:30:56 AM »
I had  what they call a Baker's cyst or (ganglion cyst)  in the back of my knee that was caused by a posterior horn tear in the medial meniscus.   I felt alot of aching in the back of my knee most of the time and radiated down into my calf.  None of the over the counter pain medication worked.   Most of my pain was in the joint line from the inside of my knee across the kneecap.  The underlying cause of the cyst was the meniscus tear and once they took care of that, the cyst I guess took care of itself.   They did not treat it.   As far as I know it is gone.  But it did cause some pain in the back of my knee as well as some swelling.  Sometimes it throbbed especially at night.   It was very uncomfortable.  I could get around only with a limp.  It's good you are seeing a Dr. and getting the mri so you can deal with it properly.   It must be very difficult being in competition and having all this to deal with.  You don't want to make it worse.   Your a young competitor and if there is something you can do to protect your knees than do it so there will be better days ahead for you.    Let us know what happens.   Good Luck   LAS

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2012, 05:15:52 PM »
Thanks LAS! It is really nice to have support from people on this website!

Did you have to have surgery on your meniscus? And if you did, how long was the recovery? Hope your knee is feeling better!

And yeah it is very hard but all of my coaches and trainers are soooooo supportive and my friends that ride and compete with me try to make me laugh when I am in pain. I'm just trying to keep my head up and take it one day at a time!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2012, 03:18:25 AM »
Thanks Gidyup.  I did have surgery on the medial meniscus posterior horn.  A common place to get tears.   It was a good size tear but I let it go too long.  The actual recovery was projected as 6-8 weeks but because I was with a limp after the surgery I had to do more PT at the gym.  Also arthritis set in.   I am not limping now and getting around well enough.   I do need surgery on the other knee but a second opinion by another surgeon said  It can and should wait.   It's been almost 8 months since the surgery.   From my own personal experience I waited too long and it was too little too late.  The arthritis set in and I have some bone on bone.   I'me glad your  getting support from your friends and hopefully they will coach you into a fast and speedy recovery if indeed you need surgery.   Sometimes you don't.  You know you  could have some bursitis or tendonits in there cause that's really painful as well.  When your active such as yourself ligaments can get inflammed and a shot of cortisone can really help.   I would suggest if you need surgery, get a 2nd opinion    Hopefully you will find out soon.   Good Luck and let us know.   LAS

Offline Gidyup3495

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2012, 03:37:28 PM »
Thanks LAS!!

Lucky for me now surgery needed! The doctor said I have been way over doing it and need to turn my taining down a knoch. It turns out it is a PCL sprain and a moderate hamstring tear. So after hearing that I went straight to the training center of our stable and my  athletic trainer and I began working on a rehabplan. We decided that I will do a littlle but everyday. The docctor wants me to take it easy because there is a torn ligament so it will be slow but at least no surgery. My trainer isn't letting me get away with anything. Today is the fourth of July (I don't know if you are from the US) and we normally have a big party up at our lake house but my family all left this morning while I went to physical therapy but its ok cuz I know it will help my knee get better and its still early in the morning where I live so I should get up there in a few hours depending on traffic.

Thanks for the support and I'm glad to hear that your knee is a little better but I am sorry you have to have more surgery. For me when I hear I have tot have more surgery iI feel like I didn't make progress and I am right back where I started. It's just frustrating you know? Best of luck!!!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 02:50:35 AM »
Hi Gidyup:   I am from the US (Massachusetts) and as I am posting I can hear the fireworks land of the free, home of the brave!  I hope you had a good 4th.  Don't be frustrated.  Concentrate of getting better.   I wish you the best of luck in future competions.   I know you will do well.   LAS
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 03:54:53 AM by LAS »