Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Knee Problems and Working  (Read 760 times)

Offline KinnaMarie

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Knee Problems and Working
« on: June 30, 2012, 02:04:22 AM »
I was offered a position as a K5 teacher, but needed to past a TB test and physical first before signing the contract.  Well I went today to the specific place they sent me to and everything was fine (passed my hearing and eyesight test and they took basic vitals), until the doctor came in.  He looked at my knee and said, oh you have scars.  (Like I didn't already know). 

A little background first...  i've had 4 knee surgeries in the past now almost 2 years.  I dislocated my knee playing volleyball and chipped a bone in which they removed the piece during the first of my surgeries.  Things didn't get better in PT after 3 months so my original OS sent me to someone else in his group.  So this OS who has now been with me since, got concerned and said my knee cap still isn't in place which is why I was having trouble in PT.  So I then had a fulkerson osteotomy, lateral release, and other ligament work.  Then my leg started bruising/swelling after my knee started bending more, so he thought I may have been allergic to the screws, so he then took those out 6 months later.  Things still didn't get better so January 2012 he went in and did a manipulation and removed the sutures in used to fold my ligaments which were over stretched.  2 weeks after my last surgery I began student teaching.

So back to my visit today.  The physical was very basic.  He then made me walk normal, then on my heels and toes.  He then asked me to squat down.  While I can, but not normally.  I am still in PT and we are working on that.  So he got concerned with that.  Then I was sitting on the table and looked at my leg and said I have lost a lot of muscle in my leg.  I again said we are working on that.  He then wrote a note on my paperwork and pretty much told me he can't pass me because of my knee surgeries.  He then said I need to have my OS sign paperwork that I have not restrictions and can do my job.  I was angry/frustrated because like I said I started student teaching in a K4 classroom 2 weeks after my last surgery, and i've never really had any restrictions, so I am wondering why having knee surgery is now an issue and may be costing me a job?  As soon as I walked out I called my OS's assistant because my OS is out of town and she said to bring in the sheet and she will fill it out and laughed that they are making me do this.  So I went straight to the office and she started filling out the sheet and said I am more than fine, but wanted my PA to sign it.  Well on the sheet he signed that I am more than fine to teach and have not restrictions, but on the sheet he wrote that I have patellar maltracking and RSD/CRPS.  I am very worried now and also mad that he wrote I have RSP/CRPS because I do not have that and my OS agrees (so essentially I don't know why he wrote it, but didn't bother to look at the sheet till I got home).   By him writing this, can they still deny me the job because of "health problems"?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Knee Problems and Working
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2012, 05:52:24 PM »
Hey there KinnaMarie,

Congrats on getting a teaching position in this tough market.  If your paperwork says you are okay to teach and you passed your student teaching and TB test you should be good to go.  With the note that you are fit to teach you have passed the physical.  There is very little chance that anyone who reads it will understand what RSD/CRPS or maltracking are in the first place.  Where are you located?  I know that here in the U.S. as long as you can do the teaching they will make accommodations for you for any physical disability, and this is really not limiting you.  If you are really unsure, get another copy of the form and have your OS fill it out correctly instead.  They can substitute that in your records.  Or you can contact the principal who interviewed you or someone in HR about this and mention that the doctor made assumptions based simply on scars and with no real supporting data.

Do you know what grade you will be teaching?  I hope you love it as much as I did.  I taught elementary before going to teach High School.  This will be a fantastic year for you and extremely busy.  Hope you have this cleared up soon.

Good luck. :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012