Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 3 days post-op ~~Swelling question!~~  (Read 883 times)

Offline ThatPatriotsGirl

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
3 days post-op ~~Swelling question!~~
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:26:28 PM »

On Tuesday I had the authoscopic surgery on my right knee to figure out what was wrong with me. Turns out there was scar tissue getting in the way of my joint and it was pinching and pulling. So far I've had no pain, besides the swelling. My knee has doubled in size and I can't really bend it. I can bare some weight but it's painful. I was wondering how long it takes for the swelling to go down and if this is normal?

Offline LKnees

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: 3 days post-op ~~Swelling question!~~
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 11:55:47 PM »
Elevate it and ice it as often as you can. It'll help. Sometimes it can take a couple weeks to start looking normal.

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: 3 days post-op ~~Swelling question!~~
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 01:00:51 AM »
Hi there,

Glad to hear that they found out what was causing problems and your pain level is okay.  Be sure that you are elevating your leg at night as well as during the day.  I have found that by building up a wedge (about 6-8 inches) from your hips to the end of the bed out of blankets you can roll on your side and still have your feet up.  This can really help with the swelling.You might also try some gentle lymphatic massage-simply stroking softly from mid-calf to your upper thigh.  This will help the fluid move from the swollen areas a little faster.

Good luck and good healing :)

Linda 
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012