Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: 10 WKS ACL Recon sudden pain in Knee cap??  (Read 1016 times)

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
10 WKS ACL Recon sudden pain in Knee cap??
« on: June 29, 2012, 11:53:25 AM »
Hi,
I am now 10 weeks post-op for ACL recon. Both my ROM and extension came back with PT.  I have been having some pain in the area where the staples are.  The doctor feels that pain is from the staples.  He said he would remove them down the road if the pain didn't resolve itself.  I have been dealing with that without any problems.  Staples were used instead of screws because the doctor found my bones to be very soft when he did the surgery.

My only other issue has been what I think is called maltracking.  My knee cap feels like it comes of track.  I have pain with it but if I give it a good kick it has always moved back.  Yesterday it happened and this time the pain has stayed.  If I bend my knee and hold my hand on my knee cap I can feel that it seems off.  It's quite painful when I walk or even if I just move it.  There is also some swelling.

Has anyone had this happen?  Is there a chance it will POP back again.  It's been about 12 hours now and it's painful to move.  I'll call my OS when his office opens.

Wondering if anyone has any experience or thoughts on what is happening?  We are supposed to be leaving today for the weekend.  Tomorrow is my 60th birthday.  Not the birthday present I was expecting!

Thanks,

Jo
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear
04/12  RK ACL recon Allograft, meniscus trim

Offline Kaputt_Knee

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 75
  • [Ed: Sue sadly passed away in 2016]
Re: 10 WKS ACL Recon sudden pain in Knee cap??
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 12:13:43 PM »
Yep, not at all uncommon and is due to the mal-tracking caused by muscle imbalance around the knee. Mine (left) still catches occasionally as I have not got the VM fully functioning despite loads of focussed exercises.

Just go back to the icing and elevation routine as it could be the swelling that is causing the persistence of the pain. I had an incident about a month ago where it locked for a while and was very painful. I had had a hard day skiing the day before and thought I had done something the pain was initially so bad and the knee was swollen. I almost went to the doctor to get a referral but it cleared of its own accord in the end as I eased back on my activities and rested the knee. I'm now working on my bike more and hoping that the cycling, both in the great outdoors and on my stationary bike, will sort the problem out again for a while.

Sue  ;)
1989 big trauma R. knee - sorted
1990-2004 3ACL recons and 20+ arthroscopies -RK
3/06 LK ACL torn!
4/06 ACL recon, kneecap broken
09 &10/06- 2x meniscus trims
3/07 - Notch Plastic & Lateral Release
14/8/08 complete revision ACL plus LCL/PLC recon
6/2/09 returned to skiing! Whoopee

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2012, 12:22:56 PM »
Thanks Sue,
I have ice and elavation as I type.  Would it be a bad idea to stick to our plan to drive 4 hours for a weekend get away that involves walking for sight seeing?
Will I cause damage?  I'm really not sure how much walking I can do at the moment but I SO wanted to go away.
Good to hear that it isn't unusual.  My mind was going though all kinds of possible problems.  I feel less paniced now.
Thanks!
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

Offline joval

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 29, 2012, 10:34:07 PM »
Opted to cancel our weekend away.  I have been doing the RICE thing all day.  Swelling has gone down somewhat.  Still has not popped back into place.  Pain isn't as bad but I've been using my pain meds and I think it's numb from all the icing.
Hoping when I wake tomorrow all is good!
01/12  Fell
02/12  MRI ACL tear

support