Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Melanie's Distal Tibia and Fibula Osteotomies and Calf Revision  (Read 1514 times)

Offline mellzie22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi everyone!

I have been reading other people's osteotomy post-op diaries and finally decided to start my own. I am 23 years old and have been having problems with my legs ever since I can remember. I have external tibial rotation and a small degree of femoral anteversion in both of my legs. This has caused my knees to constantly subluxate and I also have osteoarthritis in my knees and ankles. My physical therapist also suspects that I have it in my hips, but I have not had that confirmed with imaging.

I am scheduled to have my left tibia and fibula derotated and my calf (gastrocnemius) tendon lengthened on Tuesday, June 19. I made the decision to do this after starting work at a school for kids with special needs that had me running around all day. It became extremely painful for me to walk and I could no longer trust my knees to stay in place at work. I miss my students tremendously and I can't wait to get back to them!

I am having the surgery done at Boston Children's Hospital despite being a tad bit too old to go there. After seeing several orthopedic doctors at the adult hospital, they decided that Children's was the best place for me. I spent quite a bit of time at Children's when I was younger so I am actually kind of glad to be having this procedure there. My right leg will be done next year at the same hospital.

My main concern regarding this surgery is recovery. I am starting an accelerated bachelors and masters program in nursing this September. I move into my new apartment the first of September, classes start September 10 and my first clinical experience is September 11. I'm not sure how far along in recovery I will be at that time. My OS told me to spend the first couple weeks of the semester hobbling around on crutches.

I currently live with my dad and my aunt and grandmother will be coming into town to help me out. Once they leave, I have other family in the area I can rely on.

So far I have bought a pillow to help me sit up in bed, a swivel desk and a shower chair. I will be NWB for the first 6 weeks and then progressively move onto weight bearing. I will be in a short leg cast as well as a straight knee brace. Anything else anyone recommends?

Offline mellzie22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Melanie's Distal Tibia and Fibula Osteotomies and Calf Revision
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:37 AM »
Tomorrow is the day of my surgery! To say I am nervous is a bit of an understatement, but I know I am in very capable hands. I also got to see my co-workers and students today. They made me a gigantic get-well card which totally brightened my day.

Offline bigal177

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2012, 11:02:36 PM »
hi mellzie
 good luck with your op,  you have age on your side which can be a big factor in recovery ,each surgeon has different protocols for post op
 recovery i am based in the uk i have grade 4 osteoathritis on the medial compartment of both knees and am recoverign from my 2nd HTO
i have not had a brace at all and was encouraged to put as much weight as i can through my leg from the start .
i am now 4 weeks post op and am managing to get around without crutches at pt they have me doing the cross trainer and bike
so things are going great for me !
Keep a positive attitude during your recovery and remember little steps forward are better than  nothing it is a painful procedure but
one that for me and lots of others has been worth it
best wishes
Alan

Offline pennstatexc

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2012, 10:04:16 PM »
I know your surgery was today and hope to hear that everything went well once you're release from the hospital! 

Make sure you keep up with ice for sure, and commit to an ice compression chamber as I had (Game Ready) if possible.  I am over 5 weeks now and see the doctor on the 28th, so I should be weening off of crutches at that time.  6-8 weeks of NWB should be the protocol if everything goes well.

Looking forward to seeing an update soon!

Joel
Joel Moceri
'11 Rt. Knee Medial Meniscal Repair
'12 Rt. Leg Open Wedge HTO
'12 Rt. Knee Medial Meniscus Transplant & Osteochondral Allograft Transplantation

Offline mellzie22

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 10:48:26 PM »
Wow! I can't believe it has been almost 2 weeks since surgery. A lot had happened since then. Instead of a 2 day hospital stay I ended up staying for a week because of various issues. The first night, I had a PCA, which actually made me stop breathing several times! Luckily, that issue was not as serious as it sounds and some oxygen and several alarms got me through the night.The next day when I got up for physical therapy, I passed out. Every time I would get out of bed, I would pass out or nearly do so. The reasons for this are unclear, and it only stopped about 2 days ago. I also had what is called a bladder stretch injury, which meant I had to be catheterized. This catheter came out today after draining what seemed like nothing but blood (scariest thing EVER) for a day and a half. It turns out it was infected. On Friday I had to be taken back to the hospital via ambulance because of sudden swelling and darkening of the skin on my calf. I was worried about a blood clot and have several stairs in my house. I knew we could not get me down the stairs safely (with the passing out and all) and in a timely manner (it took 50 minutes to get me UP the stairs) so we called the ambulance. It turns out I have cellulitis in my leg which kept me in the hospital for another night. I saw my OS today who changed my antibiotic because it is still not clearing up and he was concerned about MRSA. Hopefully this resolves so I do not have to go BACK into the hospital. I'm sick of the place.

So, I now have two separate post-op infections. Ugh. I'm hoping they both clear up without incident so I can be on the road to recovery. This has been way more eventful than I hoped it would be.

Offline 2cutekiddos

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 3
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2012, 01:59:31 AM »
mellzie22...

I just wanted to post to say how impressed I am with everything you have gone through already! It sounds like you have a great positive attitude. I have only had some minor set backs in my recovery which depressed me a little. I have decided to look at my glass as half full from here on out!

I hope your infections clear up and that the worst is behind you!!

Happy Healing!
Andrea
1981 First Subluxation/Dislocation Rt knee - 7yrs old
1981 to the Present: Countless Subluxation/Dislocations of Rt & Lt knees
1993- Rt Knee LR & Medial Reefing (failed)
1996- Lt Knee LR & Medial Reefing (failed)
2012- Lt Knee Fulkerson TTT & MPFLr
2014 -RT Knee Fulkerson TTT & MPFLr: scheduled 6/18

support