Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hobbies  (Read 1158 times)

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 1
Hobbies
« on: June 27, 2012, 05:14:08 PM »
What kinds of things do you guys do to help pass the time for healing and waiting for surgery? I'm looking for new hobbies to keep me occupied...:)
*Kay*
'Runners' knee > Lateral Release 3/11
Minor Meniscus tear > clip 3/11
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
MRI > Cartilage missing = Cortisone + PT 5/12
Arthroscopy > cartilage missing, meniscus tear, & misalignment 8/12
TTO/ACI 10/13
Healing....for now :)
instability :/

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
Re: Hobbies
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 09:34:03 PM »
what are you into? what did you like doing pre-injury/problem?

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 09:49:29 PM »
I've been going thru phases of knitting, crocheting, singing, drawing, decorating. I love ANYthing crafty and creative. I used to dance, and walk, and bake. I watch too much TV, and have too much time to myself to think. I could never pick up the right book to read. Sometimes I do all of those things in one day. knit, daw, crochet, sing & TV. but I find myself bored. I've already got 6 or 7 christmas presents made. I'm just curious if there is anything anyone else does that I haven't gotten into.

*Kay*
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
TTO/ACI 10/13

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 09:53:48 PM »
I love crochet I just finished a blanket for my new nephew :D bavarian crochet i love that stitch :D I play a lot of internet games like scrabble to try and keep my brain distracted. there are alsorts of games on facebook i like to play just to pass the time. have you thought about perhaps studying something?

Offline Kwal57

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 10:04:22 PM »
Studying sounds great! Maybe I'll up a couple books on a foreign language.

I also get so absorbed into Facebook, and other computer games. I have completed 3 scarves, a blanket, a pocketbook,  and two hats for kids. I'm 1/2 way done a blanket and a hat for adult.

Thx!! :)
*Kay*
Fall on bad knee 1/12
PT 3/12-6/12
TTO/ACI 10/13

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2012, 02:48:15 AM »
I do some sewing - just basic stuff... I do make one neat item I learned how to make from seeing one a friend has... its called a quillow. It's a personal sized quilt that folds up into a throw pillow. To look at it folded up - unless you saw the folded side, you'd never guess it's really a small quilt that's about 44" x 60" in size. I use poly cotton fabrics with a light layer of batting in the middle - just enough to cover up with to take the chill off without being too heavy or bulky, especially if you're always the cold person in the room - yet hate having a blanket on the couch! It folds up and tucks into a throw pillow, so it just looks like a pillow sitting there... until you open it. I've even made "matching sets" one that's "standard throw" with regular stuffing in it, and the other the quillow... so you have a pillow/blanket set, and it looks like matching throw pillows on the couch when the one is folded up and not being used. These are great for kids, cars, trips etc, since they fold up to not take up much space - avg folded size is about 18-20" square.

I also like to read, I have found out something a lot of people may find interesting. A lot of colleges are letting people audit online classes for free. You have to acquire the books, but you can attend the class online for free, you don't get degree credit, but you can learn something. I thought this interesting if people were trying to update skills, or learn things needed to take a certification exam, but couldn't afford to sit in classes "officially". If you could gain the knowledge to pass an employer given test... how does it matter how you learned it?
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.