Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Hair Removal with scars?  (Read 1297 times)

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
  • Still smiling, and still standing!
Hair Removal with scars?
« on: June 27, 2012, 01:52:29 PM »
Ok, totally female, vanity related question here.....but what is the best method for hair removal with knee scars?
I was told years ago that waxing was now out of the question, due to scar tissue and being a delicate area and far more sensitive. And, having just shaved my legs again....if only I was paid 50c each time I did both legs..... :)
So shaving is the tried and true atm....but was just wondering if there are other options...what works for you?
I guess electrolysis could be an option.....might pop that on my Christmas/Birthday wish list!  ;)
All is possible....
2004 ~ clicking/cracking original pain started R Knee
2007 ~ MPFL Reconstruction R Knee
2008 ~ Removal of cartilage (80%) R Knee
MPFL Reconstruction L Knee
12/7/2012 ~ Lateral Release & Scope R Knee

Offline lululocket

• Forum Faithful
Re: Hair Removal with scars?
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 10:09:35 PM »
Ah, these are the questions we don't ask the surgeons....
I've been known to wax or epilate the rest of my leg, leaving out an area about the size of my hand, which gives an inch around the scar, and then just shave that bit. I also found that using hair conditioner instead of shaving cream made me calmer as you can see the scar then and don't worry about the numb bits of skin accidentally getting cut because you can see so much better.

I personally would never go near the scar with wax, those chemical creams, or even tweezers, I just think it's been through enough! Plus I slather mine in suncream quite often as I'm very fair skinned and I think a sunburnt scar would be really easy to do accidentally, even in England!
2003 RK dislocation
multiple sublaxations (10+), both knees
2007 LK dislocation
03/2010 TTT on RK
03/2012 TTT on LK

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 16
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 10:34:04 PM »
For some reason, the hair around my TKA incisions never grew back in. That's fine with me. I just shave the rest of my legs. I've heard if you get a tan on your incision while it's healing, it will always be dark. I had one knee done in July - went out in the sun & it never did get tan.

Good luck with your upcoming surgery!

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »
I have a big scar on my good knee from falling and cutting it as a child, I shave anyway as wax scares me lol but I'm just careful around the scar because the tissue is so thin there and is delicate. I think if you'd prefer to wax get everywhere else done and just shave round the scar I know its annoying cos it needs doing so much more often but the small area could be done easily in the show everyday without much hassle.

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
  • Still smiling, and still standing!
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2012, 03:46:00 AM »
 ;D YAY....like minded people!!! I used to wax (before operations) as a test of my own strength and willpower, being the wuss that I am. Since the operations, I've managed to wiggle my way out of my previous waxing appointments with the girls because of my scarring....and it's an excuse I'd like to keep using!!   ;)
I've toyed with the idea of electrolysis, but maybe from the knee down only....and only if one of the family is really, REALLY loving and gives me a gift voucher for the sessions....otherwise, here's to shaving!!
All is possible....
2004 ~ clicking/cracking original pain started R Knee
2007 ~ MPFL Reconstruction R Knee
2008 ~ Removal of cartilage (80%) R Knee
MPFL Reconstruction L Knee
12/7/2012 ~ Lateral Release & Scope R Knee

support