Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: mri results  (Read 1820 times)

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
mri results
« on: June 27, 2012, 12:27:05 PM »
saw gp this morning and she had my mri results... meniscus ok but the front ligament has thickened... waiting to hear back from OS secretary to see when i can get an appointment to discuss with him. surely a thickened ligament can't cause horrendous pain? i'm glad the meniscus is ok but feel really depressed about it all because i think i'll probably be told its all ok now :(

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
Re: mri results
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2012, 12:31:44 PM »
Ligament or plica?  Thickened plica can certainly cause some issues - there is info in the Information Hub. 

MRIs aren't that great at correctly identifying meniscus issues - do the sysmptoms and mechanical tests point in that direction?

Good luck :)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
  • Still smiling, and still standing!
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 12:39:59 PM »
Will keep everything crossed for you that you will be told something other than everything's ok.
All is possible....
2004 ~ clicking/cracking original pain started R Knee
2007 ~ MPFL Reconstruction R Knee
2008 ~ Removal of cartilage (80%) R Knee
MPFL Reconstruction L Knee
12/7/2012 ~ Lateral Release & Scope R Knee

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 12:41:14 PM »
yes all symptoms point towards meniscus issues, GP said tendon but shes "just" a GP and I haven't discussed the issue with the OS yet, they printed me a copy of the letter the OS sent the GP before the MRI I'd asked for a copy of the MRI results though so just rang and they said if I pop in they'll print the right thing so since I got to go collect some more pain killers (naproxen added to my co-codamol) i'll drop in now and find out and report back... thanks for reply! x

Offline Forevergimpy

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 01:00:34 PM »
If you could get a copy of the actual MRI films (my doc requested mine from the radiologist), the OS can actually take a look him/herself.  I've had many MRIs over the years and few have been accurate in detecting my cartilage damage or the severity of my meniscus tears.

I hope you have better luck with the OS!
Right Knee:
1993 Plica removal
1994 Lateral Release
1995 TTT & chondroplasty
1996 HW removal & debridement
2005 Meniscus trim & chondroplasty
5/17/12 Meniscus trim & ?

Online Vickster

• Administrator
  • SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 405
  • Neelie knee!
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 01:23:54 PM »
In the NHS, the Consultant should have access to the full information assuming the MRI was done in the same hospital

You need to have a think about what outcome you want from the Consultant appointment - if you want to try surgery (assuming PT has failed) then let him know this so you can get on the waiting list (assuming NHS not private)
Came off bike onto concrete 9/9/09
LK arthroscopy 8/2/10
2nd scope on 16/12/10
RK arthroscopy on 5/2/15
Lateral meniscus trim, excision of hoffa's fat pad, chondral stabilisation
LK scope 10.1.19 medial menisectomy, trochlea microfracture, general tidy up

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 02:40:05 PM »
Did you get a copy of your MRI pics??
My GP prints out  the report for me to keep with my pictures, and for the last one I was given a copy of the MRI pictures on a CD as well as the scan pictures. Whenever I travel (mainly visiting family) I take the CD and all the results/letters with me....just in case!
How long till you see your OS??
All is possible....

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2012, 04:53:31 PM »
Sagittal T1 weighted proton density fat sat sequences in 3 lanes. The anterior and posterior cruciate ligaments, and the medial and lateral collateral ligaments are intact. Normal appearance to the medial and lateral menisci. Normal appearance to the bones and articular cartilage. There is a small amount of odema overlying tibial tuberosity with a slight thickening of the distal patellar tendon in keeping with minor/previous Osgood Shlatters. The patellar tendon is otherwise unremarkable. No effusion. Nil else of note.

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2012, 04:55:17 PM »
You need to have a think about what outcome you want from the Consultant appointment - if you want to try surgery (assuming PT has failed) then let him know this so you can get on the waiting list (assuming NHS not private)

I'm not sure what I want or need, worth asking for a scope done? I dunno I just want the pain and instability gone back to how it was before I dislocated it.

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 04:00:27 AM »
Big hugs Alicat...and I hope you get your wish.
Sadly after mine dislocated I was informed my knee would find it so much easier to have a repeat performance now that it's done it once. So I really hope you get your wish.
Do some research, ask questions, load yourself up with questions to take to any doctor you see re: your knee...including Physio's. Ask one of your family, partner, or a close friend to go with you for emotional and physical support and ask the people close to you if they have any questions they'd like answers to as well. I've done this with my family, including the ones I don't see all the time. Some of the questions they come up with I'd never have thought of, but are still great ones to be asking.
Please keep us posted on how you're going.
Again, hugs.
All is possible....

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 05:44:06 AM »
Alicat: Get the scope done.  It's sounds like it's the only way to see what is going on in there.   Sometimes things don't show up on MRI.  It's good your cartilege seems to be OK.   It sounds like you have some inflammation going on in there that is causing some of the pain.    Good Luck! Las