Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Bilateral MPFL Reconstruction-7/25  (Read 18370 times)

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Bilateral MPFL Reconstruction-7/25
« Reply #75 on: July 30, 2013, 03:05:50 AM »
Hi Summer,

Thanks for posting!  Surgery went well-took longer in the OR than they thought as they originally said about 2.5 hours total and it ended up being about 4.25 hrs. total.  Got home late in the evening and started PT two days after, as you've got to keep the hip moving right away to prevent tightness.  The bruising is the worst ever but the pain isn't all too bad.  I went without any pain meds all day yesterday but was feeling it today so I guess I'm not quite ready for it.  So I'm taking one at bedtime and one before PT and then OTC tylenol as needed.  The ice machine and CPM and guidelines are leaving me confined to the floor-4 hrs. in the CPM, 2 on my stomach, and then a few in the ice machine.

The hip was in worse shape than they thought so it took longer to get the job done and it's not all done so I'll probably head back in for round 2 on the left hip over Christmas break and then get the right hip done over the summer of 2014.  The R knee was manipulated, a medial release of the retinaculum was performed, and the suprapatellar pouch was released as well.  There is great pain in the upper quads and inner thigh that PT is keeping an eye on as that's where one of the larger veins runs through and with the severe tenderness to the touch, they want to make sure it's not a blood clot (especially with my history of clots-once you get them once, you're more prone to get them again).  Hopefully it's just from swelling and forcing those quads to bend under anesthesia! 

I get my knee stitches out & post-op on Thursday, return to my spinal surgeon for a 6 week post-op on Friday and then to my primary for a post-surgical check-up thereafter, and then my hip stitches and post-op on Monday!

Work resumes in about 3 weeks and I WILL be ready to go back! 

Hope all are well!
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction

Offline KMont

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #76 on: November 08, 2013, 02:58:20 AM »
 on: Today at 02:54:23 AM
How long did it take most of you to do an unassisted straight leg raise after surgery?

Mpfl reconstruction & removal of small bone & cartilage pieces on 10-18-13.

Offline Teacher2Many

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #77 on: November 08, 2013, 03:06:45 AM »
I think it took maybe 4-6 weeks but don't remember 100%.  My quads atrophy quickly due to many surgeries and I don't think they ever regain their full strength before the next surgery.  Can you do a SLR with the brace on?  what about in other positions (prone vs. supine vs. on your side)?
6/07-L TTT & LR
6/08-R TTT & LR
6/09-Bilateral ACI
7/10-R derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, LPFL reconstruction
6/11-L derotational femoral & tibial osteotomies, R hardware removal
1/12-L tibial hardware removed, R scapulectomy
4/12-L femoral hardware removed
7/12-L & R MPFL reconstruction