Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL reconstruction - knee surgery for the first time 15/10/12  (Read 21303 times)

Offline stephanie_akehurst

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: MPFL reconstruction - knee surgery for the first time 15/10/12
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2012, 03:59:16 AM »
hi Marta,
I had a mpfl reconstruction, chondroplasty, and a lateral plica synovectomy. I'm glad to see you doing so weel. I had my surgery on November 15, 2012. I am doing ok I have my 6 week check up in Jan. I'm still not able to drive. I was able to go without my brace for sleep but only for a couple days but then had to start sleeping with it again because of muscle spasms. I can't even imagine trying to jump yet.
MPFL recon 11/15/12
Chondroplasty 11/15/12
Lateral plica synovectomy 11/15/12
Medial meniscus tear left and rightx12 1999-present
Multiple partial tears in all ligaments both knees
Patellar dislocation x7 1999-present
Grade III MCL strain 05/2012

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #46 on: December 27, 2012, 10:07:17 PM »
Hiya Marta,

I thought I'd pop in and ask you how you are getting on as haven't heard from you in a while. I hope both you and your knee are doing well and you have enjoyed the Christmas break!

October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon
July 2013-L TTO & MPFL revision
March 2014-L Arthroscopy surgery

Offline martussa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #47 on: December 28, 2012, 03:33:22 PM »
Hi Summer, thanks for stopping by!
I'm not sure how good my rehab is right now I became so lazy with some exercises and started to be a little bit impatient about the whole process. Now my bend is around 140 - 150 degrees, I try to walk normally on stairs but grinding in both knees creeps me out. Also when I stand for a while and then move my leg I feel a little click in my knee - it is something new, so I'll ask about it. I don't have any problems with bike, weight-lifting. Now when I'm writing this it seems that everything is going okay, but there's many issues in my hand - like one that my patella will pop out because it happened every two months so it seems that's the time now. But I know it is only in my head so I try to overcome this feeling.
In one/ two weeks I'm planning to start going to the gym (I have been already almost once a week since end of november in the swimming pool).
Also in mid of january I'm going to my OS so we'll see. I must tell you that winter is a real heartbraker to me and I had to wear my brace again to be stable on the ice. Now I gave up because it is totally broken so hello scary winter again. Glad I can drive and have a car.

What about you?

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #48 on: December 28, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
Hiya Marta,

Although you dont know exactly how well your rehab is going, it sounds as if you are doing well! Do you know what the grinding in your knee is? I only ask because I have it in my 'good' knee, but as it is my good knee, there is nothing wrong with it- hopefully anyway!
Dont worry about wearing the brace, with time you should feel more stable and Winter will also soon be over! There have been points that I wish that I still had my brace to fall back on when I have been feeling unstable and not quite 'safe' in terms of knees.
I hope that it goes well with your OS in January. It will be nice to see how you are getting on from his perspective.

Thank you for asking me how I am. At the moment, I am not too good. My knee has been subluxing again and I am having a hard time to get someone to listen to me. I went to my OS appointment last week and my OS quite bluntly said that he couldn't do anything to help with the pain. He also put all his weight into trying to dislocate my knee and because he couldn't, he concluded that everything was fine- no scans or X-rays or anything. Right now I am wishing that I hadn't even had the surgery as it has only made things worse in my mind, not better and I am feeling that I am in the same situation I was before the surgery!

I hope you had a good Christmas! Happy New Year to you all!
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline martussa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #49 on: January 09, 2013, 10:31:35 PM »
Hi there,
I thought I come by and say few things how it's going. On 15th it's my 3 months post-op.
I can almost touch my buttock so I can say bending is not an issue anymore.
Since one week I've been going to the gym and motivating myself to go to swimming pool. Also my PT therapist says she will let me go in the end of January. Mi first reaction was like what the hell because I've been going there since last July and I really got used to that, it became like part of my life now. I'm really scared that I will give up when being on my own because I don't feel to be ready.
Squats are quite problematic for me, I feel a little pain doing that but I shouldn't be surprised I guees. It's been a tough year for me, so I think only thing I can do is exercise more and more.
The funny part is that from the beginning I wa very flexible and didn't have any problems with ligaments. Now, after increasing level of walking, bending and exercising my legs feel very tight and stretchening is my first thing in the morning. I don't know how to get rid of that, it annoys me a little.
Also I still experience grinding and some clicking when I want to change my position from straight standing to little bending, if you know what I mean, but I will be probably left with that, don't know yet.
What's more... my kneecap is still a little bit swollen, there 2cm difference between both and it also concers me but it seems everyone blame the time for that. They keep saying it's only three months post-op, but really I don't see any difference between one month ago and now.
That's all at that time, I will check on you guys after my app with OS.

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #50 on: January 11, 2013, 06:38:27 PM »
Hiya Marta,

Wow, three months post op already! The time seems to have flown by- although I bet it hasn't for you! I'm glad to hear that things are going well, especially with the bending and movement that you have in your knee. About the PT letting you go, don't be scared, it can only be a good thing! My PT isn't happy to see the back of me yet, and I am just over 5 months post op.

As regards to the swelling, when I have been going to my appointments, they keep changing their minds on what is normal and how long things take- if you know what I mean. But swelling is meant to last anything up to the 6 month mark, so I wouldn't be worried too much about that.

Hope everything continues to go well for you! :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline emjgil28

• Regular Poster
« Reply #51 on: January 27, 2013, 10:46:55 PM »
my pt is refusing to do a thing til after tomorrow so 9week's post op and not even started pt yet, apparently they have no idea where my kneecap should be or where it was pre op so until OS gives me all clear they're treating like a leper lol

Sounds like you are having a great recovery though which is brilliant so keep up the great work, I'm waiting for the day I can get back into a swimming pool but for now I'm stuck on the side watching hubby teach 2yr old to swim :(

just keep up the exercising and stretching and when you do go swimming take it easy. no idea how you'll get on swimming, last time I tried it was about a month pre op and I gave up as could feel kneecap slipping but that was pre op so

keep us posted

em x
1992,1993.1997,1999-patella dislocation
2002-2005 muscle/tendon/ligament damage
2012 patella dislocation swelling stayed 5 weeks
November 2012 - mpfl reconstruction
December 2012 - 4weeks post-op knee clicking, and tried to dislocate again!

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Hiya Marta,

How are you doing now? I'm hoping that all is still going well for you as you were recovering greatly when you last posted.

Hope to hear from you soon! Summer :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline martussa

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #53 on: October 10, 2013, 10:50:57 PM »
Hi guys!

Long time no hearing you, is anybody here? Summer, if you are online I hope you're doing pretty great!

Soon I want to provide anyone interested with my one year post op (wow, time flies so fast) but so far I have a question for you: do you still after surgery hear grinding in the knee? What your doctors says about it? And most important... what can be your opinion about the fact that every time my knee needs a lot of healing after accidentally hitting the floor on my knees or just hittiing something with kneecap. is that normal? I just ask because my doctor said to me that after one year I could do EVERYTHING and it seems like: hell, no.

Talk to you later, people :)

Offline Aubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #54 on: October 19, 2013, 08:45:25 PM »
Hi Marta - I am just 9 weeks post-op from my MPFL reconstruction, and would love to hear about how you're doing 1 year after yours.  I'm still at the point of attempting to increase ROM, walking really weird, and am hoping to hear that it get's better eventually!  I just want to have a knee that feels halfway normal!   :)

Offline Summer007

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #55 on: October 23, 2013, 05:52:57 PM »
Hi Marta,

I am still about somewhere! I am now nearly one year and three months post op from my original MPFL reconstruction, but as you know I was having problems so I went on to have bigger surgery of which I am now three months post op from- and not doing great!

Due to having further surgery I'm not sure how much I can help you with your questions, but I'll give it a go. Where the grinding is concerned, if it isn't painful then I don't think thats its a problem. The grinding is medically called 'crepitus' so it might be something you want to do some research on. And about the healing time when you accidentally hit your knee etc, I think that it is just normal for your knee to take a little longer to be feeling better after a fall because it is still tender inside from the surgery. I know that seems hard to believe because its been a year, but these things do take an age! Lastly, I don't agree with your surgeon about the fact that they said that you can do everything after a year- I was told by mine that there were things that unfortunately I would probably never be able to do again.

Hope to hear from you soon! Summer :)
October 2011-L LR
August 2012-L MPFL Recon

Offline KMont

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #56 on: November 08, 2013, 02:54:23 AM »
How long did it take most of you to do an unassisted straight leg raise after surgery?

Mpfl reconstruction & removal of small bone & cartilage pieces on 10-18-13.

Offline Aubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #57 on: November 14, 2013, 12:45:37 AM »
How long did it take most of you to do an unassisted straight leg raise after surgery?

Mpfl reconstruction & removal of small bone & cartilage pieces on 10-18-13.

Hi KMont - I had MPFL reconstruction on my right knee in August and it took me about a week after surgery to do a SLR.  I was not allowed to do SLRs without the brace locked in full extension, and I couldn't do more than a few at first, but it became easier and I could do 20-30 by the time I was out of the brace (3 weeks).  Even though I could do SLRs fairly quickly, my quad is still very atrophied and I'm having difficulty walking normally now that I'm 3 months postop.  I'm hoping that improves soon since I'm REALLY tired of being so slow, not being able to do stairs, etc.  :)