Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11  (Read 20808 times)

Offline Brambledog

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 10
Re: Allyd's MPFL + Lateral Lengtheing - 9/23/11
« Reply #90 on: November 06, 2012, 06:08:13 PM »
Excellent numbers Allyd! Keep aiming high....

Brams  ;)
2009 - diagnosed coeliac
Aug 2011 - L knee arthroscopy
Aug 2011 - diagnosed PF arthritis L knee
Nov 2011 - diagnosed CRPS L knee
Dec 2011 - MRI R knee, PFOA is worse than L!
June 2012 - no surgery 'til TKR's
Nov 2012 - CRPS spread to L foot/thigh, increasing pain
- Worsening pain/symptoms R knee
;-)

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #91 on: March 27, 2013, 05:33:07 PM »
1.5 years post op

Hey everyone Ė thought Iíd post a quick update. I took a nice long break after I saw my OS for my 1 year appointment. Which overall was really great for my knee. After the constant rehab for a year, it really needed a break and it seemed to loosen/relax much of the tightness left in my leg. But after a couple months of sitting on my butt, I could also feel the inactivity getting to my knee as well. I think this was the ďhealthy balanceĒ my OS encouraged me to find.   ??? SOÖ That meant I needed to get back to the gym.

Iím to the point where I just live my normal life and do what I want when I want. My gym routine isnít rehab focused at all, and while I do some strength training yet Ė it doesnít consume my workout. I am usually jogging a couple miles a couple times a week with no problems, filling in with biking and the elliptical for more cardio work other days. If I push it too many days in a row, I do get a little swelling in the knee, and thatís when it doesnít feel the best. But within a day of rest though, itís usually gone. I have very little pain compared to pre-surgery, and if Iíve been pushing my activity, itís usually my other knee that is yelling at me it seems. All is right in my world again.  ;D

The great thing the last few months of working out, Iím finally feeling endurance and power come back to my leg which is a huge aid to my confidence.  I accept the fact that my knee is always something Iím going to have to manage to a degree. It is what it is. But itís a heck of a lot better than what it was and I sure donít worry about it anymore.

My goal this summer is to run a 5k at some point. I know some Ďrunnersí on this board think this is easy peasy. But Iím not a runner, and actually hate it Ė but it is growing on me. My time isnít going to be amazing, but I just want the satisfaction of doing it. Iím also looking forward to playing volleyball this summer again. Okay, Iím just looking forward to summer and all the fun activity it holds, I have a lot to look forward to this year. Itís been a long, cold winter here in Minnesota.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline krunzer

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #92 on: March 29, 2013, 02:44:40 PM »
Good for you Allyd!  Glad to hear things are going well and you have a good outlook of things to come.  I think it's something all people have to consider after having knee surgery.  It is never going to feel the 'same' again and you have to get used to it and keep doing what you have to.  It took me, I feel, a long time just to figure that one out. 

I am also looking forward to summer activities now!  This summer is going to be different, with hiking and camping and dog shows.  I am excited also to get back into a normal summer routine!  (I still consider it winter here in northern Alberta, we still have at least 2.5 feet of snow in our yard!)

Have fun with the Vball and listen to what your knee is telling you.  Good Luck and Happy Easter!!

Offline Lorikeet

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 2
« Reply #93 on: April 04, 2013, 06:26:04 PM »
You sound like you're doing really well, Allyd! Hope it continues well and good luck with running the 5K. Funnily enough, I just posted a one year update and mentioned the knee swelling and the opposite knee issues too. :)

Hope it starts to warm up soon for you up north...it's autumn here and we just had a 36.3 C (upper 90s F) which is pretty high for April.
04/4/2012 Left knee TTT, LR, arthroscopy

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #94 on: September 18, 2013, 12:42:10 AM »
2 Years Post Op!!!!

Hey all, it felt right to dig this thread up and post an update. And hopefully my final update [knock on invisible cyber wood].

All is well, I mean really good. This summer has felt great to just do what I want when I want. There hasn't been any "well, I don't know if I should" moments. And that was truly my goal in having surgery. And it's great meet goals. I run my 5k earlier this summer. Well my version of "run" - ya know run a little, then walk... repeat until you get to the end. And for anyone wondering - that has nothing to do with my knee, that's my version whether I have a good knee or bad knee. On top of all that, My knee no longer needs constant attention or maintenance. I try not to ignore my strength and conditioning to much, but I'm happy to say that when life gets busy; my knee doesn't fall apart.

I did have my 2 year post op today. My doctor was happy with everything she saw. I didn't really have any complaints, concerns, or questions; so the appointment was pretty short and sweet. This appointment was absolutely more for my doctor than me. And that's fine, she asked her questions, and got the info she needed. She was happy to hear that I really didn't feel limited, that I was active and doing whatever I want.

Last week I had a 2-year functional test with my PT. yup. my long term fear was realized. My surgical knee tested out better than my left one. The good news is I'm doing a great job of ignoring signs such as these. It's hard for my to justify investigation when it hasn't dislocated in 12 years. But the topic seemed to be more interesting to my doctor today after she did her exam. as per usual; they always test both for comparison. On the lateral glide test, she about completely dislocated it; and I don't think either of us were ready for that to happen. ugh, I hate that feeling - I'm no worse for wear, as she was in control the whole time, but I got a kick out of our exchange after:

Dr: Has that one ever dislocated? (kind of a stupid question when we both know you basically JUST made it!!!)
Me: [looking up, down, all around, trying to avoid answering]... yes. That was the first knee to go on me, and has a few times. But, but, but... it's been a really long time since the last, like ten years or so.
Dr: really. Okay. [pauses. clearly thinking what I'm thinking - pretty sure It just happened 5 seconds ago, not 10 years. what to say, what to say...] Good reflexes! You reacted A LOT more on that knee than your other. [as if this is supposed to make us feel better about how stable my surgical knee is]
Me: yeah... I know. If I was smart, I'd be having you look at that knee a lot closer.

I still can't get over the "good reflexes." But I did get a clean bill of knee health.  It felt good to walk out of that office on the same page regarding my progress for once. Everyone was happy with the end result. Just really glad to take the time to pause for the realization that it really is behind me.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Aubie

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
« Reply #95 on: October 19, 2013, 08:59:41 PM »
I've been looking through the messages on the boards about successful outcomes of MPFL reconstruction, since I'm at the point of thinking my knee is never going to feel halfway normal again!  So glad to hear your story of feeling great after 2 years and that your surgery knee is stronger than the other!  That seems almost impossible for me to imagine right now, but I'm holding out hope.  ;D  I'm currently at 9 weeks post-op, still attempting to regain full ROM, and the most annoying thing being the inability to even walk normally.  I still have extreme quad atrophy, and am having difficulty using a normal gait pattern, especially bending my knee, rather than keeping it straight (due to being afraid I'll fall on my face!).  I'm soooo slow, and it's getting very annoying.  Both my OS and PT insist that I'll eventually be fine (PT estimates another 2-3 months), and that I just need to be patient.  But after dealing with this since April (dislocation), then surgery in August, I'm quickly losing ALL patience!  I know that it could be so much worse, but it's still very hard to keep myself from having regular pity parties.

support