Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Articular cartilage concerns (Now with fun pictures)  (Read 3159 times)

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Articular cartilage concerns (Now with fun pictures)
« on: June 26, 2012, 02:57:32 AM »
Hey guys my name is Steve. I am 21 broke and live in Maine USA. I recently hit myself in the right knee with a pulp hook while running a wood splitting machine. A pulp hook is a big metal hook that is semi sharp. Anyway it hurt allot I had an arthroscopic surgery to investigate. I got some pictures I will post later to show the damage. My doc said the lesion was roughly grade 2 and all he did was a little debridment. Felt awesome for a few weeks then it went back to being bad again. It hurts all the time and I can hear some really nasty sounding creptis (sp?) going on in there. My major concern is this lesion is going to get bigger and badder or thin the cartilage around it. I know it will probably always hurt my entire life but my major concern is how bad it will get and how fast it gets there. My thinking is it might continue to grow as well as damage the opposing cartilage on my patella that it is rubbing against. I keep wondering Is this thing going to put me out of commission in say 5 years or 50?  Anyway my biggest concern is lesion location and degeneration. Anybody have any idea about this kind of stuff? maybe stories? I want to feel like I have a handle on this thing.

Attached is a diagram of where I stuck myself, self portrait included.

PS

Is there a sweet spot to start thinking about cartilage restoration? I mean is it better to just wait till a defect is grade 4 and all the way through or is it better to fill a pothole to try to keep congruence with the surrounding cartilage? Would love to hear options and schools of thought on that too.

Knowledge is power.
RK
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: Articular cartilage concerns (Now with fun pictures)
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 03:05:39 PM »
I know you are worried and in pain, but the pic you put up is pretty funny. :D It's great to inject some humor into your problem.

About articular cartilage degeneration, you will probably find useful stuff in the arthritis section of this board. I wonder if the doctor might try other injections like Synvisc or PRP that could help reduce the pain from damaged cartilage. Insurance might not agree to pay for all of it though.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline KneeZilla

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
Re: Articular cartilage concerns (Now with fun pictures)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 07:51:12 PM »
Thanks I figure it never hurts to have a little humor :P. Anyway still trying to figure out how stable or unstable my lesion is. Looking for stories of other people with grade 2 lesions.
Knowledge is power.
RK
- Injury with a pulp hook :O jan/12
-MRI possible articular cartilage damage
-scope + debridement 3/22/12
-Pain is back :(