Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Whats wrong with my knee?? need some insight!  (Read 3565 times)

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Whats wrong with my knee?? need some insight!
« on: June 25, 2012, 10:22:08 PM »
I am currently 16 year old male (6ft 1, 140 lbs.) and ill try to keep this short. Im going to the doctor but I just want some insight before hand. Both of my knees are perfectly fine when I run, jump, walk, climb stairs, and what not. I get zero pain from those activities.

But for some reason when I try to squat fully, I get some pain and it feels like immense pressure almost at about 20-30 degrees from full squat. Same with bending the knee. I can almost fully bend it but it feels like a lot of pressure is preventing me.

The knees also make a click noise when bending. The clicking started two years ago. I went to a doc at that time, he checked it out, and just told me to stretch my hamstrings.

To me, I feel like my knee cap is going towards the outside of my knee and I am thinking its some muscle imbalance with hips, quads, or hamstrings. Its bizarre because I can run perfectly fine and everything but I can squat or bend the knee fully.

The clicking noise and not being able to squat fully is worrying me. Is it a meniscus tear?? But how could I run fine? Is it a torn ligament or knee cap?? and what the hell is the clicking noise. my mom's knee clicks but her knees are fine???

Offline joanfan123

• Regular Poster
Re: Whats wrong with my knee?? need some insight!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:48:50 PM »
Also 16 but I will try to help. It sounds like some cartilage wear and tear possibly a meniscus tear, but I don't think it is a ligament issue. It also seems like you have mal-tracking issues, which like you said could be from a muscle imbalance or from something else.
May '10- PT LK
June '11- PT LK
October '11- Cortisone LK
11/8/11- Arthroscope Fat Pad trimmed LK

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2012, 12:08:06 AM »
Thanks but how could i have cartilage problems at such an age ??? ? And like I said, I can run and jump 100% without any pain. When it comes to kneeling and squatting, they hurt. I guess tracking issue is the likely problem.

im going to the doc soon but how do people generally fix this issue? I want my knees to be 100% again (full squat/kneeling).

Offline joanfan123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2012, 12:23:27 AM »
Tracking problems can create cartilage problems, hopefully there is no cartilage problems and if it is tracking you can get it fixed before it comes to that. Wait until you see what the doctor says before you worry, if the pain is just squatting and kneeling I am guessing you will be fine.
May '10- PT LK
June '11- PT LK

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2012, 12:35:17 AM »
Yes its just squating and kneeling. I played basketball and ran the past couple weeks with zero pain.

but when I try to flex my knee (pull it toward my chest), it clicks at like 45 degrees and then I feel this tightness right below
the knee like the hamstrings. It feels like the knee cap is towards the outer edge. The knee cap should just go straight
up and down when flexing right?? If so then this is definitely a tracking problem.

btw thank you for your reassurance.

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2012, 02:45:29 AM »
You might want to quit squatting and kneeling for a while until you see a doctor or PT. Both activities are stressful for the knees, especially maltracking ones.  I'm guessing that it could be a rotational issue that is causing them to track to the outside. Do your knees point inwards with your feet pointing straight? Also that click sound is probably the kneecap moving over the joint. There are different reasons for knees clicking, and it's hard to say which one. Your mom's knees probably click because of cartilage softening.
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2012, 03:09:04 AM »
^ Thanks for the advice. And yes I just checked and they do point slightly/barely inwards. As I have said, the knee cap gradually goes towards the outside while bending. Its supposed to go up and down right? I can get a quick picture of my knee at 45 degrees by tomorrow and that should help you guys. I wont be seeing the doctor until the end of this week.

also how does the rotational problem occur? I never had any blow to the knee and all my joints have been generally healthy.

Offline joanfan123

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 03:25:42 AM »
I can't really help with the whole 'how does a normal knee track?' question as my knees mal-track laterally and yours do sound similar. 
May '10- PT LK
June '11- PT LK

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 03:35:21 AM »
@knicks94: I think it's a matter of how the bones grow with age. In some people it might be a case of lax ligaments which would cause bones to lose their position over time but that's not common. If your femur is rotated inwards, then the kneecap will track laterally. But it's also possible that muscle imbalance is the reason which can be fixed and bring the kneecap back where it should be.

I had tilted knees since God knows when and never even noticed it until I got tendonitis. People function normally with their anatomy until the stress is too much for the joint, or have an accident, and that's when all the preexisting problems are discovered.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 03:37:25 AM by kneepaincure »

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2012, 03:56:27 PM »
@kneepaincure

Do you think its possible for me to fix it or realign it into position? You said that you had this problem for a long time.

this is my knee at 90 degrees. The blue area is the general area of the knee cap and its point at that angle. The red line is where
I am thinking it slipped out of track/where it is supposed to be. The next one is also at 90 but from an up view. You can see
that the knee cap is slightly angled.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:04:48 AM by knicks94 »

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:39:57 PM »
I wouldn't be able to tell you whether it can be realigned by physical therapy, though mine look similar. You would need a medical person to check everything and see what the options are. My knees cannot be realigned through exercise but it helps to manage the pain which is enough for me, and I also avoid certain things like too much running or squatting.

Best to wait and see what your doctor says, I think. Most likely he will suggest conservative therapy for a few months before doing anything else.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 07:11:45 PM »
Sometimes these things settle down as you may be going through a growth spurt, it is not uncommon to have patellofemoral pain during growth spurts.

I think it is worth seeing a Doctor, but I would tread very carefully with considering any surgery at this point.  You may be able to manage with physiotherapy, possibly some form of bracing, and avoid activities that aggravate your knee.  This may very well go away in a few years or far less.

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 08:24:21 PM »
I went to the doctor two years ago and he said tight hamstrings and told me to do a couple stretches. Helped tremendously. He said they were growing pains and they did mostly subside. However, squatting is a problem. It looks like I have alot of imbalances with my quads, hamstrings, and hips. Looks my doctor will recommend pt.

but is it possible to pull a knee cap back into track with simple stretches?

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 08:34:35 PM »
If the lateral side of your knee is too tight, a PT might be able to stretch it out for you. It's better not to try this by yourself before an assessment. Could also be a muscle imbalance that is pulling the knee to the outer side, because the muscles on the inner side are not strong enough. It might be useful to check your position while squatting. Do your knees tend to move toward each other, or are they in line with your feet?

Also, don't worry so much. You sound quite tense about it. :)

Offline knicks94

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2012, 12:02:59 AM »
^
The knee cap seems like its gradually moving towards the out side so im pretty sure its some kind of imbalance.
Im definitely going to go get this checked.

and I am tense lol but i know ill be fine! My mom keeps telling me to calm down too   :).
« Last Edit: June 27, 2012, 12:05:50 AM by knicks94 »

support