Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Knee pain 9 months after partial meniscetomy??  (Read 574 times)

Offline thetruthh34

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Knee pain 9 months after partial meniscetomy??
« on: June 24, 2012, 04:59:59 PM »
Hi Everyone,

I am 24 years old. I had a partial meniscetomy done August 23rd, 2011. After falling down the stairs at work :( I had a flap tear and it could not be repaired. The surgeon had to remove about 80% of just the posterior horn. So almost half of the whole meniscus was removed.

So its been 9 months later and I still have small dull pains coming from the side of the knee. It doesent last very long but still is it something to be concerned about??

I do not play any sports, I am not overweight. Im actually only 135 pounds and 5 feet 10 inches tall.

Any suggestions please?

Offline LindaM

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 8
Re: Knee pain 9 months after partial meniscetomy??
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2012, 10:30:02 PM »
Hi there,

Your knee is not what it used to be.  The cushion that is gone has changed the dynamics of the muscles and tendons around the knee and they may still be adjusting.  Without that piece of meniscus, some movements might also be iirritating that weren't before.  Do you know what provokes the pain, or is it completely random?  If the answer is random, I would have things checked out soon-better safe than sorry. You have a lot of years ahead to wear that knee.   If you know that it pinches at the end of the day you might still have some swelling or need to keep up your strengthening exercises so your muscles can take over some of the work of keeping your knee steady that your meniscus did.  My right knee is 2 years post PKR, but still swells if I really push things.

Good luck :)

Linda
>20 yrs. osteo and inflammatory arthritis, fibromyalgia
meniscus repair Sept. 2009
right PKR June 2010
left PKR Feb. 2012

support