Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Do you take a day off from Physio exercises each week?  (Read 3821 times)

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Do you take a day off from Physio exercises each week?
« on: June 22, 2012, 06:38:08 PM »
I'm asking because I had my arthroscopy on 30th April and have done a mix of physio exercises, stretches, static cycling, stepper, hydrotherapy everyday since.

This morning at hydrotherapy my hydrotherapist asked me about days off. When I said I always do between 2 to 4 of the above activities every day she said I should have at least one rest day a week.

I'm worried about scar tissue, getting stiff etc so wanted to find out what everyone else does.

I'm seeing my physiotherapist on Thursday so will get his take on the matter.

Thanks everyone :)
19th Feb 2012 Damaged knee falling off horse, banged leg on jump
18th Apr 2012 MRI indicated significant bone bruising
30th Apr 2012 EUA arthroscopy, MUA, MFX medial femoral condyle
17th Jul 2012 Cortisone injection into Fat Pad

Offline lorilove

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
Re: Do you take a day off from Physio exercises each week?
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 09:33:59 PM »
One day off won't hurt you but if your physio is anything like my PT, I am not doing any significant weight or strength training that would require a day of rest.

Additional weight is being added at a very incremental pace.  You definitely don't need time off from stretching and improving your ROM.

The only specific instructions my Doctor and PT have given me at this point is to limit my walking to 2 miles per day - I am only 10 days post surgery and they indicated that I could still inflame the knee

Offline Alicat

• Regular Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 09:48:08 PM »
if your physio exercises are to re-build muscle mass there is logic in time outs, to build muscle as I understand it you are ripping muscle fibres and then the body lays down new fibres to repair and strengthen the area so after every ripping session (weight use etc) you need to allow the muscle to rest and repair, most gym programmes will allow for downtime where only cardio workout is done so it'd make sense for PT too.

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
  • Still smiling, and still standing!
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 02:33:39 PM »
Hi PonyExpress....I use the elliptical bike daily, as well as my physio regime, steps, weight bearing training to build up muscle tone prior to a Lateral Release. My Physio has recommended to have a day off to repair and relax, and on these days I treat myself with extra TENS sessions and ice/heat treatments. As my regime isn't for post op, it might differ to your own circumstances. Good luck with your recovery!
All is possible....
2004 ~ clicking/cracking original pain started R Knee
2007 ~ MPFL Reconstruction R Knee
2008 ~ Removal of cartilage (80%) R Knee
MPFL Reconstruction L Knee
12/7/2012 ~ Lateral Release & Scope R Knee

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 03:17:56 PM »
PonyExpress, my workouts are about 1 1/2 hours including stretching and I do them M,W,F and Sat.  These are, I think, reasonably intense workouts with spinning bike 30-35 minutes at 85-90 cadence, leg press, leg extensions, leg curls, and VMO work along with full upper body and abs.  I can't do these day after day because my muscles are too tired.  If I were just doing my PT excercises I would do them daily but still take a day off for mental health :). I guess it comes down to how fatigued your muscles are day after day.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 03:17:07 PM »
Thank you for your replies.

Well, I took yesterday 'off' and this morning my knee was stiff as a board :( Got up too late to do any exercises before acting as taxi service to kids, so have only just been able to do a set of my physio exercises. I now feel so much looser!!!

So, lorilove, I think you were quite right that as my exercises are not significant enough to warrant a day of rest they won't do me any harm to do daily.

Alicat - none of my exercises are specifically to re-build muscle as I lost very little if any, my op was required due to an accident and I was weight bearing straight after the procedure. My exercises are stretching and ROM exercises.

CariG and Maverick - I would like to start more intense workouts but have been waiting until my knee feels as if it can take a bit more work, maybe then a day of rest will be required.

At the moment my conclusion is to carry on my daily regime.

Offline CariG

• Forum Faithful
  • Still smiling, and still standing!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »
drats on the stiffness this morning. the main thing is how you are feeling in yourself. you know your body far better than anyone else, and if it's working for you, then continue what you're doing. hope you have a great, comfortable day!
All is possible....
2004 ~ clicking/cracking original pain started R Knee
2007 ~ MPFL Reconstruction R Knee
2008 ~ Removal of cartilage (80%) R Knee
MPFL Reconstruction L Knee
12/7/2012 ~ Lateral Release & Scope R Knee

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 06:50:31 PM »
Thanks CariG, have also just done an hours session in the pool, was very stiff to start with but improved fairly quickly.  Finished the session not quite as loose as I had been previously, but don't think harm done by resting for a day. It's been a good Sunday here in the UK, work tomorrow - ho hum  :-\