Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: update microfracture  (Read 2583 times)

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 2
update microfracture
« on: June 22, 2012, 02:52:48 PM »
just thought id update how i am doing after my femerol microfracture and lateral release!
its roughly 10months since i had the op and i am running 30 mins a day doing my leg press extension, squats lunges etc pretty much pain free muscle in the thigh still small but slowly getting bigger and stronger!
i am able to run around with a football now and kicking is getting better too, i am still some way away from 100% but anyone out there who has had this op or is having it done it isnt a quick fix and a long long rd to recovery
hang in there!

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: update microfracture
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 06:52:56 PM »
Rob, great to hear that your recovery is going so well.  Can you update me on your microfracture?  Medial or lateral?  Grade?  How many microfractures you had?

I am not as lucky as you with my microfracture but I too am working hard on my conditioning and strengthening.  No running for me ever but I am riding the spinning bike 30 minutes 4 days a week about 85-90 cadence.  I am hanging in there but it is tough.
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline dm

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 19
  • I hate my knee!! :(
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 05:59:16 AM »
glad y'all have had luck with your microfracture repairs. Mine didn't help. I'm still having pain problems. Got a second opinion from another OS who's never seen me, and took him my last 2 mri's, last scope pics, and he took fresh standing xrays including skyline view, and he says medial side is trash, that the mfx site is the best looking spot in that entire side of the knee. Says that if hyalgan doesn't give some pain relief, that TKR is the only thing left he would do. Says even if I do have a suspect meniscus tear on that side, fixing it wouldn't help.
multiple arthroscopies 2/00,3/01,6/01,1/03, 12/07,10/10. chondromalacia, severe medial joint space narrowing following 3 partial menisectomies, chronic pain problems, kneecap problems, OCD lesion, failed mfx.

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2012, 12:06:41 PM »
my was lateral side all the way to the bone do they call that grade 3-4?
it was 1 and half cm so pretty big size of a thumb nail i was told!
taken lots of hard work to get this far hr after hr of exercise i do roughly 500 lunges a day 200 leg extension and press
stair walking jogging walk cycling etc i do about 4hrs a day to try and get back on my feet

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2012, 03:11:47 PM »
Rob, congratulations!  I workout about 6 hours a week and with that my knee goes ballistic at night and I can't sleep. I have to say that I am 48, a bit older than you and I know that makes a difference.

Continued good luck to you.  I hope that over the next three months that mine will get as good as yours.
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2012, 03:49:01 PM »
your not that much older i am 44
ive been there when my knee has been the size of a football again due to over work, and i cant sleep because it hurts moving it!
my physio told me to keep going work through the pain at the time i felt like hitting him and telling him to stop talk bs

but it has worked so far my surgeon says i am miles ahead of what he expected i saw him 2weeks ago and he said he didnt expect me to be doing any sport again ,but because i wont give in and work my backside off thats how i managed to get where i am !
you say 6hrs a week exercise that is a lot for your age lol, i am still told at 44 i am over doing it at 4hrs a day but i want to play football-soccer
i will know in about 3months if that is possible!

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 05:04:00 AM »
Rob43, thank you!  You are an inspiration to me. Just what I needed. I don't have time to do 4 hours a day but I can increase my workouts to 2 hours. Would you be so kind as to outline your workout for me?  What you do, reps, weights, etc.  I cannot run but I am willing to see what exercises I can do.

Thanks in advance!
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 02:45:52 PM »
i dontreally have that amount of time each day either but i make time becasue i want to get better!
i start each day with 3sets of ten lunges 3sets of 25 squats with a gym ball behind my back so i slide down the wall
10-15 mins of the bike then a 30 min jog on the treadmill
the i do 3set of 20 leg extension with 10kg on bad leg then on good left then 3set of 15reps of 20kg on bad legs same on good one!
then 30kg 3sets of 10 on bad then good leg
then 3sets of 40kg 20reps using both legs then 50 kg 3sets of 15 again both legs then 3sets of 60kg 10reps usding both legs
then i do stairs set ups and stepdowns roughly 5sets of 10 reps on both the i do 10 jumps down the stairs the 10 up!
i do this roughly 3 to 4 times a day 7days a weeks
hurt like hell at the start but decided i was going to do it and after many months more or less pain free now
only pain i do get is when the muscles start to get tired the knee wobbles and i get the old pain but more i do it the easier its getting!
[the leg extension are the hardest as it takes lots of muscle control to hold the weights when lowering the weight down again
but you got to keep going because it take 6-8 weeks for the muscles to tear and grow again so wont be a quick fix but if you give it a go i'm sure it will improve over time!

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 03:12:47 PM »
Rob, thank you.  I am going to add the lunges to my program and see how that works.  Here is my program if you have any suggestions.  This takes me approximately 2 hours including stretching and I do this 4 days a week.

My PT exercises which focus primarily on my hips.
30 minutes on spinning bike 85-90 cadance. Some resistence.  Muscles feel like they had a workout afterwards and are hard and fatigued.
3 sets of 15 leg extensions at 30 lbs.
3 sets of 25 standing squat at no more than 30 degrees flextion with 50 lbs of weight.
2 sets of 15 leg press (single leg, bad leg then good leg) with 30 lbs.  1 set of 25 with both legs at 50 lbs.
3 sets of 15 leg curles at 30 lbs.
Adding:  3 sets of 10 lunges.
Upper body and abs.

Maybe I will add just riding my 2 off days and see what that does.

Thanks!
I cannot run and I live in a 3 story house so I think my stairs are good.
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 03:50:41 PM »
many people on here would say squats and lunges are bad for the knees i am no expert and wouldnt disagree with those people but it seems to have helped me out
all i would say is to start with hold on to something while your doing them until your muscles are strong enough to keep your balance i found out the hard way when i ended up on my backside a few times! lol
assuming you had the same op as me later femorl catrilage microfracture how come you cant run?
when i started running at 6months i could just about do 4miles an hr on the treadmil for 1min
and i wouldnt call it running more like hoping on the bad leg run on the good one!
but with time exercise and the will to keep going as i said i'm not 30mins on it i can run at about 7miles a hr which isnt bad considering what ive got wrong with me, ive not just had the knee done
ive had the other knee done too 7yrs ago and also 3spinal operations the third being a bone graft and fusion to l5 LS
its really is a case of mind over matter sometimes we are told you cant do things and we just believe what doctors say and give up

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2012, 11:10:10 PM »
Rob, let's see if I answer all your questions /comments  :)

1)  Yes, I had the same surgery as you in September 2012.  Grade 4 lateral condyle.  The microfracture area was approximatley 1.5 cm and I had 7-8 microfractures.  The surgery site was in the back of my femur towards by back of my leg.
2)  I have been told by my PT and OS that I cannot run. The fibrocartilage by itself is thinner than normal cartilage.  In addition, the cartilage surrounding my fibrocartilage area is thin.  If I run, the impact will wear away my fibrocartilage and thinning cartilage and I will be bone-on-bone once again.
3)  The squats that I do are only to a 30 degree point.  This builds up my VMO and does not put unnecessary extra stress on my knee.  My PT perscribed squats without weights quite awhile ago.  He also prescribed lunges.  Both of these are hard on your patella but as far as my microfracture area they have been approved, but not as full squats.
4)  I just got back from the gym and I am doing 60 lbs of weight for my leg work not 30.

I hope that this helps.
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »
i am not a surgeon so i take your word for it lol
mine was at the front of the knee same size 1.5cm lateral side, is the area around your knee still sore to touch? mine isnt!
far as i know i didnt have any other damage or thining cartilage so maybe that why i can do things
i was told that in the future i will need a knee replacement but only live once so i will get on and do the things i enjoy doing before i am too old to do em!

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2012, 02:07:32 PM »
Rob, no mine is not sore to the touch either.  My pain is inside my knee at the MFX location which drives me crazy that I cannot touch it, massage it, etc.  Yes, I to will do a PKR or TKR someday.  I also beleive in your philosophy of you only live once.  I tell people not to confuse the quality of life with living long.  Don't get me wrong, I want to live long but I want to do everything and see everything first.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2012, 02:16:00 PM by Maverick »
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline rob43

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
it normally people who have sod all wrong with them that say that sort of thing! lol
my knee grindes inside and clicks a little every now and then i was offered a cartilage graft 2stage operation but decided against it as it will put me back another year,and ive alrd spend 16months on my backside wasting away
i do believe that being mentally strong goes a long way to how we recover what do you think  maverick?

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2012, 06:40:12 PM »
Rob, "sod all wrong with them"?  Please clarify :)

Being mentally strong is critical in these situations.  I have climbed mountains, I have my black belt in MMA and I have accomplished many other mentally and physically challenging tasks.  This though is the hardest journey that I have faced, primarily due to the pain management piece.  I have never had issues dealing with tissue pain, surgical pain, etc. before but apparently this bone pain is an issue for me.  So, I take it day by day, get through each day and night and start over.  Apparently you can have a high pain tolerance with some kinds of pain but not others.  Oh well!

2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

support