Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Exercise post op  (Read 1171 times)

Offline boldlygoes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Exercise post op
« on: June 22, 2012, 09:08:16 AM »
I have had a total knee replacement and everything is fine but I now want to get fit, lose some weight etc.
My problem is the same as most others, what exercise is best with sore knees, my other knee is not in good shape either.
I spoke to my surgeon and he suggested swimming and cycling. I then spoke with a trainer at a local gym and he said cycling is not good as it puts more strain on the knees I should concentrate on a rowing machine.
Regarding swimming, I am not a great swimmer and I find that I have more pain after say 30 min swimming than any other excersise so I am not sure if its just my technique  or that swimming is not good for knees.
Has anyone got any advise on this.
Thanks.   

Offline WonkeyDonkey

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 12
Re: Exercise post op
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2012, 02:28:37 PM »
Hi boldlygoes

Swimming is actually non weight bearing, so is very good for knees, if you are not a confident swimmer, have you tried exercising in the water? Do your physio exercises in the pool, you will find them a lot easier. Also do not swim breast stroke, as this does not help knees, because of the twisting action. Try front crawl legs or on your back, using a float, so it helps you stay more buoyant.

Cycling is also a good option, but keep gears low so you are not putting lots of pressure through your knees, try it on reletively flat roads etc and not on hills until your get more strength. I had a HTO in November and started cycling at 4 months post op, not having been on a bike for over 20 years, I can now cycle 13 miles comfortably, and am building up both strength and stamina. I forgot how enjoyable it could be, down the country lanes away from the stresses of life.

Speak to a physio, to see what they recommend, as they are used to seeing people with TKR etc. I am not sure they would recommend a rowing machine! they would also be able to give you specific exercises to do in a pool, however walking in the pool will help.

Keep positive

WD

Offline Maverick

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2012, 02:31:22 PM »
I have not had a TKR but I am recently recovering from a microfracture.  I had a lot of atrophy from the surgery and so I am having to do a lot of working out to get back in shape.  In fact I am off to my workout now :)

Both my PT and OS said that swiming and cycling is the best.  I do not believe that cycling puts too much presure on the knee at all, unless your bike is not fit correctly.  I would start out cycling with little resistence but more time.  This will fatigue the quads and hamstrings and bring them back to the point where you can add more and more resistance.  Once you get some more strength back you can add rowing, knee press, knee curls, etc.  I started riding 10 minutes at a time and now I ride 30 mintues at around 90 cadence. This is a good workout!

Best of luck!
1976 Arthoscopy, damaged cartilage
2007 Lateral release of the patella
2011 Meniscectomy and microfracture (grade 4)
2012 Debridement / Chondroplasty
2013 CRPS left knee

Thank you, Maverick

Offline boldlygoes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 03:27:04 PM »
Hi boldlygoes

Swimming is actually non weight bearing, so is very good for knees, if you are not a confident swimmer, have you tried exercising in the water? Do your physio exercises in the pool, you will find them a lot easier. Also do not swim breast stroke, as this does not help knees, because of the twisting action. Try front crawl legs or on your back, using a float, so it helps you stay more buoyant.

Cycling is also a good option, but keep gears low so you are not putting lots of pressure through your knees, try it on reletively flat roads etc and not on hills until your get more strength. I had a HTO in November and started cycling at 4 months post op, not having been on a bike for over 20 years, I can now cycle 13 miles comfortably, and am building up both strength and stamina. I forgot how enjoyable it could be, down the country lanes away from the stresses of life.

Speak to a physio, to see what they recommend, as they are used to seeing people with TKR etc. I am not sure they would recommend a rowing machine! they would also be able to give you specific exercises to do in a pool, however walking in the pool will help.

Keep positive

WD

Thanks for the reply, I will get into swimming and cycling.

Offline boldlygoes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2012, 03:29:47 PM »
I have not had a TKR but I am recently recovering from a microfracture.  I had a lot of atrophy from the surgery and so I am having to do a lot of working out to get back in shape.  In fact I am off to my workout now :)

Both my PT and OS said that swiming and cycling is the best.  I do not believe that cycling puts too much presure on the knee at all, unless your bike is not fit correctly.  I would start out cycling with little resistence but more time.  This will fatigue the quads and hamstrings and bring them back to the point where you can add more and more resistance.  Once you get some more strength back you can add rowing, knee press, knee curls, etc.  I started riding 10 minutes at a time and now I ride 30 mintues at around 90 cadence. This is a good workout!

Best of luck!

Thanks for the reply. Having spoken to OS again the word is that cycling is ok providing the saddle is set high so as not to put to much strain on the knees. I will get into both swimming and cycling now I am sure they will bo ok.

Offline PonyExpress

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2012, 08:15:22 PM »
My physiotherapist recently booked me in for 5 hydrotherapy sessions as I had gone marginally backwards in my rehab since going back to work, inspite of religiously doing my land based exercises.

I've now had 3 hydro sessions and taken myself to the pool for an aquafit class and 2 x 1hour sessions by myself.  I'm not a confident swimmer at all, so I have done no swimming in the pool, however, the exercises I have been doing have been so successful. I feel that I have come on in leaps and bounds (not literally ;) ).

I would highly recommend using the pool for exercising.

Someone on here suggested 'Heal your Knees' by Robert Klapper & Lynda Huey for exercises, there are lots of pool based exercises in there, although probably best to double check with your PT.

Good luck :)
19th Feb 2012 Damaged knee falling off horse, banged leg on jump
18th Apr 2012 MRI indicated significant bone bruising
30th Apr 2012 EUA arthroscopy, MUA, MFX medial femoral condyle
17th Jul 2012 Cortisone injection into Fat Pad

Offline boldlygoes

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2012, 07:29:22 AM »
My physiotherapist recently booked me in for 5 hydrotherapy sessions as I had gone marginally backwards in my rehab since going back to work, inspite of religiously doing my land based exercises.

I've now had 3 hydro sessions and taken myself to the pool for an aquafit class and 2 x 1hour sessions by myself.  I'm not a confident swimmer at all, so I have done no swimming in the pool, however, the exercises I have been doing have been so successful. I feel that I have come on in leaps and bounds (not literally ;) ).

I would highly recommend using the pool for exercising.

Someone on here suggested 'Heal your Knees' by Robert Klapper & Lynda Huey for exercises, there are lots of pool based exercises in there, although probably best to double check with your PT.

Good luck :)

Thanks for that will take a look.

support