Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: US service member. Torn ACL PCL LCL and damaged peroneal nerve. some questions  (Read 1476 times)

Offline broken_WRX_kid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
If this needs to be moved, please do so, so i dont offend. Thanks!

Hello everyone, ive been scouting and studying the forums for quite a while, and well even though ive been talking a lot with my knee surgeon (or is that an OS?) and my physical therapist, i cant help but have doubts and questions during my downtime....which is what i have way too much of nowadays. Anyways let me properly introduce myself and how i came to be the broken WRX kid.

I am currently in the US Navy and i am stationed in pensacola,fl. I recently had orders to hawaii (my home state) and was to leave mid march of this year. On march 3rd i was involved in a motorcycle accident. I was on my motorcycle when an inattentive 17 year old schoolgirl struck me head on with her car. I was ejected from my bike, flew over the car, and well...the rest is history. I was wearing a helmet, and riding gear, which saved my life and prevented any road rash (which would have made things worse).

I was rushed to the hospital, and from the MRI, i had a shattered right wrist, dislocated right knee, with a torn ACL PCL and LCL. It was later found out that my peroneal nerve had been damaged due to trauma and swelling. I was lucky to be alive, but i was devastated. I am paying for someone elses negligence. And i lost my orders, since i am not fit for duty.

Fast forward a little and i had the wrist plated and saw my knee surgeon for the first time. He decided to stage the operation since there was so much swelling. He used an allograft for the LCL and did a decompression on the peroneal nerve. That was on march 12. The wreck was on march 3. I stayed in a rehab center for a few weeks, since my room at the barracks was ridiculously small. I was non weight bearing for the entire time, until may 21 when i had my second and final surgery, for the ACL and PCL.

Autograft for the acl and allograft for the pcl. Man that patellar tendon harvest kills! That lil pain pump they set me up with was ineffective after the second night. I have been going to therapy 3 tkmes a week and i have been gaining everytime. At the time of this writing i am up to 120° rom. The damaged peroneal nerve is showing signs of regaining. Tapping the nerve on the back of my knee will send pins and needles down to my foot....something i havent had happen before. Is this a sign that the nerve is recovering?

I still do not have any dorsiflexion (lift up on the foot), but ive always been able to push down and inwards. This, combined with my AFO allows me to still drive my beloved WRX. People ask me how im able to drive, especially with a 5 speed manual haha! I guess ive just gotten used to it, and i still drive the same way....as in im not a danger on the road by driving awkwardly or clumsily.

Well i am just under 4 weeks out from my surgery....and i know this recovery is still fresh and that there is a long road to recovery, but please bear with me as i have a few questions:

I notice that there is still a small amount of slack when the lcl is stress tested. My surgeon did not seem too concerned about it, but ehh....i still am from time to time. Now will that slack eventually tighten? I have a lot of atrophy since the wreck, so the leg is wobbly enough as it is without muscle. Im just worried that itll never go away...id really like to NOT get another operation for a loooong time.

Well actually...thats the only major question i have bugging me...if anyone has anything to throw in, maybe someone whos thought the same of their leg as well. That and if anyone has anything to share about their peroneal nerve stories (recovered or not). Like i said, i have been reading and skulking the forums a while, i figured id open up and talk to people on here. Thanks for your help and time everyone!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
Dear broken WRX kid:  Thank you for your service!   I have never had an injury like that but I would think with extensive PT you would gain much of of the strength in that knee back.    You have already shown signs of improvement so yah  it sounds like your on the road to recovery.    Remember your  still in the early stages of recovery.  Dislocation usually take 6 months or more so every day seems like forever especially if your  use to being active.  As long as you see improvement I don't see why it wouldn't get better.  The pins and needles feeling in your foot from what I have read is a sign of damage but I'me not really sure.   Your OS should know whether or not the nerve damage is permanent.    Thank God you were wearing a helmet and other protection.
Best of luck in your recovery.   LAS

Offline Audice

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 8
Hi ~ My thanks, too, for your service to the country.

I find it amazing to reading about the extent of damage to your knee & how far you've come in so short a time. It sounds to me as though you're on the right track & given the improvement after just 4 weeks, it would seem your knee is going to improve a whole lot more.

People with injury to just one major ligament & reconstruction talk in terms of many months of rehab. Stick with it & my best wishes for a good recovery...Ellie
April, 2005 - ACL rupture, medial meniscus tear within posterior horn to articular surface, abnormal signal within lateral meniscus, partial tear MCL, bone contusions tibia/fibula, Baker's cyst.
No repairs.

Offline broken_WRX_kid

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
-
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2012, 04:15:06 PM »
Hey thanks for the kind words and support guys! Yes, sometimes i need to just take a step back and realize how far ive progressed in such a short time....i mean, driving already after 6 weeks from the first surgery is a testament to that! Like i said, its usually thr down time that i will start to second guess and sometimes doubt my repairs and how i will be in the future. I was never into heavy sports like football or basketball which required heavy cutting, but i would like to still run and get back into downhill mountain biking! One thing i can say for sure is that even though i have a lot of atrophy in my leg, i know i am getting stronger since the exercises i do get just a little easier and less painful every time, making me push farther. Thanks again for the support, i knew i came to the right place!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
It's all about determination.  That's the one thing that will get you up and running again.  I'me still curious about that nerve damage. 
Did you speak with the surgeon yet or maybe even the physical therapist could  put your mind at rest.   LAS