Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tape recorder at doctor appointments?  (Read 2065 times)

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
Tape recorder at doctor appointments?
« on: June 16, 2012, 09:36:50 PM »
Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone has asked their doctor if they can tape an appointment? I'm thinking it would be great to have the conversation on tape to go over if my husband can't be with me at the appointment. I am not thinking about using it for legal disputes or anything like that. I'm wondering if I have to ask the doctor but if I ask him what happens if he says "no"? If I just tape the appointment & don't use it for anything except to listen to & maybe get more understanding, that doesn't seem like a bad thing.

Has anyone asked their doctor if they can run a recorder during appointments?

Thanks!

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tape recorder at doctor appointments?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:15:21 AM »
I've never thought of that. Maybe you could take notes instead, or call your husband and have him listen in to the conversation. If the doctor says 'no' to tape recording then it's kind of sneaky to do it anyway isn't it...
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:24:50 AM by kneepaincure »
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 11
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 01:03:07 AM »
I think it is an excellent idea and I have thought of it but am uncomfortable asking.   I forget half of what the  OS says while I'me in there and then sometimes I need to call and ask a question he already answered.   I think the Drs. would be uncomfortable as well because of the obvious reason, a lawsuit.   I think it is a law that you need to let somebody know they are being taped here in the states.   I don't know if it is a law where you are.  I would take notes if you can or wait until your husband can come with you.    LAS

Offline MyKnee2010

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 15
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:31:29 AM »
Hi,

Thanks for the responses. The majority of me knows it would be sneaky to record without permission but a little part just doesn't care -- seeing how incompetent the OSs I've had have been!  I guess I'll ask my new OS & see what he says. I don't feel uncomfortable asking - I'm really not doing it for legal reasons & I think it will be a bit sleazy of the OS to say no. If he says no, I guess I'll write everything down. Of course, he's going to have to talk slower then & repeat himself as necessary. I really think it's important to get the information straight while I'm there because I've found it next to impossible to get questions through to the OS if I call in later.

Thanks!

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 02:19:58 AM »
I have also seen inconsistencies in office visit notes that I know happened or didn't happen and I really think they would be more careful.  Perhaps a more competent physician who has your best interests at heart would not mind.  In the legal system every word is documented by all parties.   Good luck and do let us know what happens.    LAS

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 02:08:34 AM »
I recorded my OS injecting my knee before and he was totally okay with it. And I taped my visit before using an app on my phone but I didn't tell him. I didn't even think to ask, oops. But, like you said, it was just for personal use and I would never even think about using it against him because I would never sue him.
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline lisa424

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2012, 07:49:26 AM »
It's an excellent idea. I've done it. It can really come in handy for remembering things.

Offline LAS

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2012, 03:51:21 AM »
The more I think about it the more I like it.   Glad you brought it up.   LAS