Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction  (Read 6172 times)

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Re: Tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction
« Reply #15 on: August 28, 2012, 04:11:16 PM »
Hi Anna

Hope you had a good bank holiday weekend.

Exercises are going ok, although a lot of them to do, similar to yourself, I also have to try and put as much weight on my operated leg as possible so need to do exercises such as standing on one leg :).  Physio advised me to start taking painkillers again to help me do as much as posible.  I can just about get past 90 degrees whilst bending it.  Since i have started putting a lot more weight on it my knee has been feeling very odd, I am hoping this is normal, I seem to get alot of pulling on the left hand side when I straighten it fully and when I am stood up.

I am going back to work tomorrow, starting off as part time and easing myself back in, my work have been really good and if I struggle tomorrow then I can get signed off for longer.  Are you back to work yet?  I do a desk job so I am hoping it will not be to difficult as long as I have something to put my leg up on as I am still unable to keep my leg bent for long periods of time.

Physio is hoping that I will be down to one crutch in the next couple of weeks, I hope so will be glad when I can stop using them altogether.  I am finding it is putting a lot of pressure on my other knee which is a bit of a worry to me as this is actually my bad knee and after a number of surgeries Mr Eldridge has already advised that I have a TKR.

Keep in touch and hope to hear from you soon.

Sashxx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2012, 11:15:25 PM »
Nearly 3 months post op and starting to struggle more now than previously I am not sure if it is because I am back at work.

Currently I am still on crutches and when I try walking without I find that it is difficult to bend and I seem to walk with a straight leg.  Today it feels as if I can feel the graft when I am standing or walking and that my knee is going to give out it feels so unstable and is beginning to scare me.

Is there anyone who can tell me if this is normal and if they have had the same experience, need some reassurance that all is still ok I don't see my OS until 11 October.

Thanks in advance
Sasha

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 02:42:34 AM »
Just curious how old you are since you're still working but may need a TKR because I'm in the same boat. I had a TTT and MPFL recon 5 weeks ago and having a lot of pain especially under the kneecap which scares me because if it's because I'm bone on bone then I don't know if I can do the rehab required to get my leg strong enough to even have another surgery.
I'm having a popping on the lateral side when I bend it and it feels like there's a metal band wrapped around my knee. I too am not walking normally and my PT says I need to start but my knee is too stiff.
If your leg feels like it's going to give way that means it's still too weak to put your full weight on and it takes a long time to bring back strength. I'm wondering if you PT is good. I had a horrible one last year who pushed me too hard too fast and ended up destroying what was left of my knee. Now I know better.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 10:18:02 AM »
Hi RLE

I am 38 years old I hopefully won't need a TKR on my right knee after the operation as it was done to try and prevent it as my left knee will need one due to the number of dislocations and cartlidge damage.  I was scheduled for a PKR in 2007 but my OS decided in the pre op that a TKR was needed. I had only just got my head round needing the other so decided to delay it until it got too much.  Have you any idea of when you are likely to need one?

Saw my physio yesterday and explained what I am feeling (which sounds very similar to the way you describe as a metal band being round the knee) she said it is perfectly normal but will probably feel like it for about a year which is a scary thought. 

Sasha

Offline Stasa

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2019, 03:56:08 PM »
Hi Sasha and Anna,

I saw Mr. Eldridge today and he suggested that I need MPfl reconstruction and TTO to help with my problems. I only had one dislocation, but I have a lot of pain and frequent episodes of inflammation and a lot of crepetations in my knee. I was wondering how are you doing now and if the surgery was worth the pain you guys went through. I would really appreciate if you could let me know how are you doing and if you would recommend me to have the surgery now and prevent any further damage that could potentially occur if I donít get the surgery.

Thank you very much!
Stasa

Offline Brandon123

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 42
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2019, 09:42:30 AM »
Hi Stasa,

Please try to PM the OP as this thread is 7 years old. In order to PM, you need 20 posts, which you can get in The Games Room. Good luck!
RK sharp pain while running, diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 6/09
RK arthroscopic chondroplasty 9/09
RK rehab, recovery, 90% normal, started running again -> back to square one 5/15
RK diagnosis patellofemoral arthritis + LK diagnosis chondromalacia patellae 8/15 -> conservative treatment