Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: Tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction  (Read 6171 times)

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction
« on: June 13, 2012, 10:34:32 PM »
Hi my name is Sasha and I am due to go in for the above operation in a couple of weeks time on 29th June under Mr Eldridge in Bristol.

I am extremely anxious but after several dislocations on my right knee this is the only way to stabilise the kneecap as i suffer from trochlear displasia.  i have had numerous operations on my left knee for the same condition, but as this is the first on my right knee it is causing me a lot of anxiety , this is also the first time I have had the above procedure.

Is there anyone who has had the same procedure who has had success, who could put my mind at rest.  What is the recovery like? I have been told that I will have my leg in a brace for atleast 6 weeks and will not be allowed to bend it, followed by around 6 weeks physiotherapy.

Thanks

Sasha

Offline Silkncardcrafts

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 6
Re: Tibial tubercle osteotomy and MPFL reconstruction
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2012, 03:12:38 PM »
Good luck with your surgery.

I had a MPFL reco on it's own and did take a long time to recover. I think I had a brace up to 3 months, but that was because my quads were so weak.
11/1996 - RK LR
07/1997 - LK LR
11/1998 - LK MPFL Reco
12/2005 - RK LR Repair
07/2006 - LK MPFL Repair
11/2006 - LK LR Repair
22/05/08 - LK Trochleoplasty
11/02/10 - RK Trochleoplasty
07/03/11 - RK Chrondroplasty

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2012, 12:42:09 AM »
HI Sasha,

I am name is Anna and I'm new to this website.  I hope your surgery has gone well. 

This is slightly weird but I am actually going in for the same operation on the 4th July under Mr Eldridge and it is also in Bristol.

It would be lovely to hear from you about how it went and how it is going?

I hope you start to feel better soon.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Anna xx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:30:29 PM »
Hi Anna

Only just picked up your message as not been able to log on the computer recently. Firstly I hope your surgery went well. We missed each other by 2 days and I was in for a couple of extra nights finally being discharged on Monday 2nd July. Mr Eldridge is a fantastic surgeon and my op went well. I have not experiened too much pain as have been taking the pain killers at the required regular intervals. I have found the leg brace difficult to magage at times and is painful if slips when on crutches, so make sure it is secure before getting up. I found that my leg which was quite swollen has reduced significantly with the ibruprofen and this is where you need to keep adusting the leg brace. I keep my leg brace on at night in case I need to go to the loo!

I feel that it will be a slow recovery but make sure you keep your spirits up and keep doing the exercises to make sure your knee doesn't stiffen up.
It would be great to hear from you and how your surgery went and how you are coping. I am waiting for a follow up x-ray in a weeks time to check bone is healing etc.

Keep in touch
Sasha xx

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2012, 06:40:58 PM »
HI Sasha
How are u, I hope ur having an okay week.  Thank you for responding to the last message, so sorry I have taken so long to get back to you, I've had a tough week.  So I had the surgery on Wednesday 4th July- Mr Eldridge thought the operation went well.  I was given a femoral nerve block so this helped with the pain in the knee until the early morning.  I then went onto oral morphine, but this caused me to faint twice. When I was taken off this, I started to feel a bit better.  I was discharged on Friday 6th July, not feeling great- ended up being sick in the evening, possibly due to the anaesthetics. From then onwards, I took painkiller at regular intervals, used ice and have been resting. The pain was okay with lot of swelling on my ankle, but on Wednesday the pain got really bad, my shin was really swollen and I could not walk without being in excruciating pain.  I ended up going back to the hospital to get checked out- in case I had an infection or a DVT - all is fine! The pain is getting a little better every day.  I will be seeing Mr. Eldridge next week, how did your appointment go??

I look forward to hearing from you

Take Care Anna xxxx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2012, 11:12:36 PM »
Hi Anna

Sorry to hear you have had a bad week I hope you are doing better.  I have managed to stop taking painkillers now although still get a few niggles here and there.

How are you getting on with the exercises I am struggling to bend it past a certain point.  I find sleeping at night a bit of a struggle as for some reason my muscles go into spasm just as I'm about to fall asleep.

I've still not had an appointment through yet and have tried calling the hospital but it just goes through to voicemail and I've had none of my messages returned. Did you have a letter sent through for your appointment is it at south mead? I hope your appointment goes well and that you are feeling a lot better let me know how it goes.

Sashxxx

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 12:43:08 PM »
HI Sasha,

It is lovely to hear from you. I feel alot better today, which is good.  I managed to get to the loo today by myself,  which is an achieved.  It is fanstastic news that you have come off the painkillers, hopefully i will be off them soon.

In regards to the excersises, they are hard, but I find they get easier as the day gones on. I am finding it hard to get to 90 degrees- I found it easier a week ago, but due the increase in pain and swelling, it has been harder.  Do u have painkillers before going to bed, would that help with your muscle spasms??

My appointment is at the spire hospital on wednesday morning- an x-ray and update with mr eldridge- hopefully i have made enough progress at this stage!

I hope you have a good day.

Keep in touch
Anna xxx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2012, 07:51:52 PM »
Hi Anna

Glad you are feeling a bit better it is definitely an achievement going to the toilet on your own. My partner steve has gone back to work this week and I feel really nervous being on my own but hopefully by the end of the week I will have gained a bit more confidence. I find the worse thing is the brace as it always seems to start slipping when I go to far, are you having the same problems?

I managed to get a follow up appointment by steve actually turning up at the hospital apparently they didn't have any record of my operation lol but I am seeing mr Eldridge on Thursday.

I hope your appointment goes ok tomorrow and you have made the right progress.

Sash xxx

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2012, 12:38:51 PM »
HI Sash,

Great to hear from you, I hope your appt went well today.

I saw Mr Eldrigde yesterday, he was pleased and remove the dressings- the wounds are looking good.  I still have lots of bruising and swelling, but I can finally see my knee cap and my ankle, which is good!

It is so frustrating that I have still 4 weeks in this brace, it is so debilitating- it is so exciting I am off to get a wheelchair today, so I can go out.

Keep in touch

Anna xxx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 01:27:59 PM »
Hi Anna

Glad to hear that your appointment went ok.  I saw Mr Eldridge on Thursday he is happy with my progress and the x ray was fine also had dressings removed I still have a bruised ankle which he said was completely normal apparently also the spasms I'm getting at night.  I have too go back again in a month for another x ray and to assess whether I can come out of the brace, I hope so.

Did you get a wheelchair?  I am considering renting one but unsure how to go about it I had a bad day yesterday I think after doing more than usual the day before so think a wheelchair is definitely the way to go.

Take care and keep in touch.

Sash xxx

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2012, 11:53:39 AM »
HI Sasha,

It is great to hear from you.  I hope you are having a good week and the pain is under control.

I now have a wheelchair from the Red Cross- so looking forward to going out to my local town to go shopping!!  I have started to become more independant, but showering is still tricky by myself!! How r u going??

I am going to a friends bday at the weekend, so that will be good to get out and see other people.

Keep in touch

Take Care Anna xxx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2012, 12:21:04 PM »
Hi Anna

Hope you had a good weekend how did it go at your friends birthday?

I managed to get hold of a wheelchair and have been out a couple of times I find I struggle the next day though for some reason not sure if it is because the muscles are doing more work.

Have you started physio yet my first appointment is tomorrow not looking forward to it as still struggling with ROM I find after I have been out I end up going backwards.

Hope you're getting on ok.

Sashxxx

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2012, 04:56:52 PM »
hi sasha,

i hope u are well., so sorry i haven't been in touch recently.

i hope ur having a good week, have u seen any of the olympics??

so looking forward to 15th august, when i can remove the brace and start physio!!

how is our knee and leg doing?, is ur upper tibia numb??

keep in touch
anna xxx

Offline Sasha

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 09:52:08 AM »
Hi Anna

Just returned from 2nd physio appointment has gone really well I am now able to get just past 90 degrees on my bend and feel a lot more confident with weight bearing.

I will hopefully be having my brace off on 16th August but was told possibility may not. I hope your appointment goes ok on 15th.

With your tibia feeling numb do you mean too touch? Mine does too and I was told to massage the area a couple of times a day lightly with my fingers or massage something like E45 into the area this will then encourage the nerve endings to come back to life.

Feeling a lot more positive  :)

Keep in touch

Sashxxx

Offline Spanner345

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2012, 01:00:29 PM »
Hi Sash,

I hope your having a good week and your well.  So sorry I haven't been in contact recently.

I have been to been to three physio sessions now, and can bend pass 90 degrees. I am meant to be full wieght bearing now, trying to wean myself off two sticks to one, but my leg is slightly painful, maybe was trying to do too much! Now on 12 excersiises twice a day- squats, knee bends, calf raises, leg pumps,- naming just a few.

How are your excersices going?

Have you gone back to work or are you having a chunk of time off?

Keep in touch Anna xxx