Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL reconstruction surgery  (Read 1406 times)

Offline LauraNic96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
MPFL reconstruction surgery
« on: June 13, 2012, 02:42:48 PM »
Hi everyone!

I am having mpfl reconstruction surgery tomorrow morning and am extremely nervous about the procedure.  I am nervous about the anesthesia, the actual operation, and the recovery period.

Can anyone give me some advice on how to cope with the recovery process or any little tricks that made the whole thing easier for you?

Thanks so much and wish me luck!!

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
Re: MPFL reconstruction surgery
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »
1.   Be patient with it all
2.   Try not to worry too much Ė both pre-op and post-op
3.   Have a plan for icing, elevating and resting for the first couple weeks. Donít over do it.
4.   Follow your doctorís protocol, and when allowed, really work at the PT Ė Itís important!
5.   To cope the first few weeks, have plenty of books, movies, friends, etc to keep your mind off your knee
6.   Take the meds as prescribed and on schedule the first 3-5 days for sure. Everyone is different on pain levels, but donít be shy with them if you need them. Control the pain, and youíll control your recovery.

Good Luck!!!
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline LauraNic96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2012, 07:43:10 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice!  I have never had any surgical procedures done before so I'm a bit nervous!!  Figures, I played sports my entire life  and never got hurt until now at 28 years old.  Guess I'm getting old...

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2012, 09:15:24 PM »
I know how you feel. I was surgery free up until 9months ago at age 28 as well. I'm telling you, as we approach that 3-0, everything falls apart! lol.

Try not to worry about the surgery itself to much. I was freaked out about, but it proved to be the easiest of all. They give you so many happy drugs, you won't know the difference.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Cjlynn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2012, 10:48:05 PM »
I recently had a MPFL reconstruction done myself (5.5 weeks ago), and my suggestions is to prepared for lots of rest, icing the knee and elevation as well.
Pain meds are valuable beyond belief, don't try to be brave and miss a dose, it will catch up to you!  Once I was able to get up and around on my own with crutches, I use a back pack to cart all my stuff around.  Phone, books, meds, etc...
Be patient with your knee and follow the advice of your OS and PT.
GOOD LUCK!! :)
Frequent patella dislocations thru adolescent years
1997 - scope and lateral release
Summer 2011 - dislocation at work
May 2012 - MPFL reconstruction and meniscus repair

Offline LauraNic96

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2012, 08:43:47 PM »
Thank you so much for all the advice. I'm 6 days post op now and am doing pretty well. I have to admit i had a mild breakdown in the prep room at the hospital.  I was so scared and was ready to rip the iv out of my arm and walk out.  Apparently the surgery went very well and was definitely needed. My OS foundered issues than expected and was able to fix and clean everything up.   I decided to get off the Percocet and am replacing it with ibuprofen and Tylenol. I was too dizzy, naseaus, and just felt crappy to keep taking it.

The swelling is not that bad and the pain isn't too bad either. I'm petrified to take the brace off. I'm so afriad of twisting the wrong way and getting back to the position I started in.

My knee is pretty numb still, kinda the pins and needles feeling. Only one of the incisions hurts so I guess that's good. I can only do two of the exercises my doctor gave me. I can not lift my leg at all. I can raise my knee, push it down, and move my ankle all over but leg lifts are not happening. My mom has moved in with me and she literally has to list my leg for me whenever I want to move. I'm only allowed 10% of body weight in the leg but it feels much stronger than that. But there is no way I'm not following his orders.

Is this normal to have such loss of muscle in my leg and quad muscle?  It's freaking me out!!

Offline lisa424

• Forum Faithful
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2012, 02:27:09 AM »
Leave the brace on if you feel more comfortable that way. Muscle loss can happen very fast when you're not moving much or weight bearing as normal. It's still very early to expect to do a straight leg raise- they're not great for the new ligaments this early on anyway.