Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Chondromalacia Newbie- Anyone successfully beat it?  (Read 3032 times)

Offline ladevorah

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Chondromalacia Newbie- Anyone successfully beat it?
« on: June 29, 2012, 06:25:46 AM »
Hi!  I'm new to the Knee Guru and this is my first post.  I'm a 29 year-old female.  I'm a little discouraged and looking for some advice.  Here is my story:

I started feeling clicking in both my inner back knees.  In hindsight, it was probably just a tendon or ligament? I also had a sharp pain that I felt once under my right kneecap when I was walking the dog (leisurely pace) and it hurt for the next 24 hours but the pain went away after that.  I waited for the clicking to go away and discontinued all exercise because I was worried about hurting my knees further.  I usually did an hour of cardio on the bike or elliptical about 4 times a week and had been doing so for about two years with no problems.  I ended up seeing my doctor about the clicking about 25 days after it started.  She bent my knees around but there was no pain.  She sent me home with some generic leg exercises and said to try biking a little.  I tried doing them and my knee caps protested when I had them extended in from of me and squeezed my knee caps. They hurt so badly that I discontinued the exercised and after I felt that sharp pain under my right kneecap again, I saw the doctor a few days after that.  She sent me in to get an MRI on both knees and I was told it was Chondromalacia.  They sent me to physical therapy and I had 7 visits.  They physical therapist said that my joints were hypermobile and that my joints were loose from having a baby and that joints can be loose for up to a year after having a baby.  That entire 3 weeks I had my knees wrapped and noticed the pain was almost completely gone.  They thought I was fine and discharged me.  A few days later the wrap came off and I was surprised to feel the same amount of pain had returned as before physical therapy.  I also noticed that my left knee grinds on stairs and if I bend down on it alone.  I'm been icing, using pain meds and doing my physical therapy at hope and the pain has gone down but the grinding really makes me worry.  My right knee "pops" occasionally as I move and bend.  It feels like it has to move around and pop until it gets into place.

I'm worried about what my outcome will be and wondered if anyone had any advice or tips.  I know that Chondromalaica is more of a "symptom" than a diagnosis.  I'm driving myself crazy thinking about what could be causing this.  We moved to bottom floor apartment a couple of months before all this happened and the concrete is VERY hard.  I've got flat feet.  Maybe my pelvis and lower back and not in their proper position after pregnancy?  Maybe it comes from my weak ankles both sprained MANY times as a teenager?  Maybe it comes from the extra weight of carrying the baby around on this hard floor?  Maybe it comes from spraining my MCL in 2007?  I just don't know what it could be and like I said, I'm driving myself crazy here.  What have you done for your Chonromalacia?  Have you beat it and now live a grind-free and pain-free life?  I'd appreciate any advice you'd have.  Thanks! :)

Offline kneepaincure

• Forum Faithful
Re: Chondromalacia Newbie- Anyone successfully beat it?
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2012, 03:45:56 PM »
It sounds to me like your right knee subluxes, that is it pops out of place and then goes back in again. The left knee is most likely not tracking right.

You said your doctor did an MRI. Some X-rays of the knees in different positions would have been very useful. Has the alignment of your kneecaps and legs been examined?

Also, what kind of exercises did they make you do in physical therapy?
Have had tilted kneecaps for many years, and occasional patellar tendinitis.

Offline JTB

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 6
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2012, 07:06:15 PM »

« Last Edit: December 13, 2012, 03:17:01 PM by JTB »
Bike racer electing sport-med scope Jan 2011 for patella catch: shave patella, MFC and trochlea (with sneaky lateral release) Grade 3 findings. @ 1 year, CRPS, pain inhibition, muscle atrophy, osteopenia, sudden bilateral chondromalacia. in free-fall 2 1/2 years.
Today on Strava riding well.

Offline RLE

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 7
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2012, 10:37:44 PM »
Hi!  I'm new to the Knee Guru and this is my first post.  I'm a 29 year-old female.  I'm a little discouraged and looking for some advice.  Here is my story:

I started feeling clicking in both my inner back knees.  In hindsight, it was probably just a tendon or ligament? I also had a sharp pain that I felt once under my right kneecap when I was walking the dog (leisurely pace) and it hurt for the next 24 hours but the pain went away after that.  I waited for the clicking to go away and discontinued all exercise because I was worried about hurting my knees further.  I usually did an hour of cardio on the bike or elliptical about 4 times a week and had been doing so for about two years with no problems.  I ended up seeing my doctor about the clicking about 25 days after it started.  She bent my knees around but there was no pain.  She sent me home with some generic leg exercises and said to try biking a little.  I tried doing them and my knee caps protested when I had them extended in from of me and squeezed my knee caps. They hurt so badly that I discontinued the exercised and after I felt that sharp pain under my right kneecap again, I saw the doctor a few days after that.  She sent me in to get an MRI on both knees and I was told it was Chondromalacia.  They sent me to physical therapy and I had 7 visits.  They physical therapist said that my joints were hypermobile and that my joints were loose from having a baby and that joints can be loose for up to a year after having a baby.  That entire 3 weeks I had my knees wrapped and noticed the pain was almost completely gone.  They thought I was fine and discharged me.  A few days later the wrap came off and I was surprised to feel the same amount of pain had returned as before physical therapy.  I also noticed that my left knee grinds on stairs and if I bend down on it alone.  I'm been icing, using pain meds and doing my physical therapy at hope and the pain has gone down but the grinding really makes me worry.  My right knee "pops" occasionally as I move and bend.  It feels like it has to move around and pop until it gets into place.

I'm worried about what my outcome will be and wondered if anyone had any advice or tips.  I know that Chondromalaica is more of a "symptom" than a diagnosis.  I'm driving myself crazy thinking about what could be causing this.  We moved to bottom floor apartment a couple of months before all this happened and the concrete is VERY hard.  I've got flat feet.  Maybe my pelvis and lower back and not in their proper position after pregnancy?  Maybe it comes from my weak ankles both sprained MANY times as a teenager?  Maybe it comes from the extra weight of carrying the baby around on this hard floor?  Maybe it comes from spraining my MCL in 2007?  I just don't know what it could be and like I said, I'm driving myself crazy here.  What have you done for your Chonromalacia?  Have you beat it and now live a grind-free and pain-free life?  I'd appreciate any advice you'd have.  Thanks! :)
I am not sure you'll figure out what caused it or perhaps it's just your particular anatomy and I don't think it matters much, it is what it is and now you have to work with it. I have learned a few things I wish I hadn't need to. One is do NOT get surgery unless or until your problem is either unbearable or you are no longer able to walk. You could end up far worse off than you begin.
Second if an exercise is painful don't do it. No matter what anyone else tells you. You know your body better than anyone. Try non-weightbearing exercises or try other exercises that don't cause pain. Strengthening helps a lot or has for me but has not resolved my problems. Good luck and keep us posted.
Accident 2011: permanent dislocation, hole under the patella, bone fragments/debris embedded, scar tissue, 3 torn ligaments, fracture, cartilage sheared off, contracture,
2011 MUA
PT on-going
2012 MPFL reconstruction,TTT
        TTT
        Lateral lengthenin
        Arthroscopy/clean out
Thx Dr. T

Offline FindnNemo91

• Forum Faithful
    • My Facebook Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2012, 08:24:43 PM »
For me, its been bittersweet.

I started having knee pain when I was about 8 years old, give or take a year. They couldnt diagnose the problem for almost 10 years. They finally diagnosed it as a maltracking problem. I decided to have the surgery (TTT, chondroplasty, and lateral release) because my quality of life was horrerible, especially with being so young. Recovery from the surgery was tough and painful. I am now a little of 3 years post op and I wouldnt trade the surgery for the world. During the surgery, my ortho discovered that I had severe chondromalacia with little to no cartilage left on the back of my kneecap. The 3 years after the surgery, I have had little to no problems. In fact, I made it through Army Basic Training with no problems at all. I am now deployed in Afghanistan and the knee has been acting up a bit with that traditional chondromalacia under the kneecap pain. it is probably time for another chondroplasty, but nothing major like the surgery i had.

for me, having the surgery was the best decision. but i carefully considered all of my options before. If you want to look, my posts and pre op journal are all on this website somewhere.

Hope you find the right thing...and if you have any questions, dont hesitate to ask! everyone on here is extremely helpful!!!
TTT/Lateral Release/Chondroplasty: May 15th, 2009
Brostrom Reconstruction: Oct 16th, 2009

~United States Army~
Wheeled Vehicle Mechanic

support