Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: surgery sept 6th for patella tracking and realignment...very confused.  (Read 1706 times)

Offline franken_Knee

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Hi... so I have had a screwed up left knee since I was like 6.  I am 34 now...finally getting it fixed...doc told me I have a high riding patella and it's not on track....we tried 6 weeks physical therapy and no go. 

He is going to realign the patella so it tracks...and take a quad muscle and put it over the patella and screw it in place?  and shave down the bone and stuff.   It's same day surgery....kinda confused by everything that was explained though....wish my husband had been there to clarify some things...I have seizures, and sometimes stuff just goes over my head, and I confuse stuff.   Calling doc on Monday so my husband can talk to the doc also.....doc says he is gonna put me through hell....but we will get through it together.   

Offline LisaDX

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
Re: surgery sept 6th for patella tracking and realignment...very confused.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 10:58:18 PM »
Having another set of ears is a great idea. Has your hubby been to any other appointments so he has some idea of what the doctor is proposing? It will help for us on this site if you can post the name of the surgery. You'll be surprised how many people will respond with an "oh, yeah, I've had that too".  Good for you to know you have somewhere to go when you have questions.  Good luck!
1975 Left Knee arthrotomy, no diagnosis
1984 Left Knee arthroscopy, no diagnosis
1987 Left Knee Lateral Release, successful
2007 Right Knee Lat. Release, unsuccessful
2011 chondromalacia patella, PF OA
        Arthroscopy, chondroplasty
2011 Diagnosed MS

Offline allyd

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 34
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2012, 04:12:47 AM »
extra ears are always good as its hard to take in a lot of info. As Lisa says, did you get the specific name of the procedure? Sometimes it seems OS's aren't good about detailing, and just give general surgical terms such as "re-alignment" - you'll quickly learn there are A LOT of possibilities under that umbrella. If you didn't get the specific procedure, do ask when you call back with your husband. ANd you may be having multiple procedures, which can be common as well. To give you an idea of what I mean - if i had to guess based on your description, and it's just that a guess: he's planning TTT (tibial tubercle transfer), MPFLr (Medialpatellafemoral Reconstruction) and a chondroplasty (cartilage shave/smoothing)

Also ask about post-op protocol, will you be on crutches, in a brace, how long on/in each, when do you start PT, etc. You'll want to know this info. Every doctor is different with their protocol, so it's REALLY hard to compare experience with others on that front.
04/09 RK - Dislocated Patella & Grade III MCL Tear
06/10 RK - Re-Dislocation Patella
09/11 RK - MPFLr + Lateral Lengthening

Offline Leentje

• SuperKNEEgeek
  • Liked: 2
  • ER nursing rules !!!
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2012, 10:39:30 AM »
Want to wish you good luck. i had my TTT exactly 10 years ago today (I remebered this morning), still happy I had it and would do it again. I didn't go trough hell, but recovery wasn't always fun. Never had unbearable pain. Just got back from a 7K run, just saying to give you an idea I am still very active!

hugs,
Bilat patellar malalignment/PFdysplasia
00/06/83 L wrist #
11/12/00 L knee LR + chondroplasty
21/08/02 L knee TTT
02/03/04 L knee stretched PCL
11/09/07 L ankle dislocation/medial avulsion #
25/05/09 L ankle medial avulsion # AGAIN!
05/06/13 R ankle dislocation