Advertisement - Hide this advert

Author Topic: MPFL Reconstruction 6/8/2012  (Read 42547 times)

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
  • Liked: 0
MPFL Reconstruction 6/8/2012
« on: June 08, 2012, 05:16:06 AM »
I am having an MPFL reconstruction on my right knee tomorrow morning.  I have to be to the surgical center by 8:30, which means that we have to leave the house by 6am.  I will be NWB for at least 3 weeks and in rehab for at least 6 months.

Background:
In March 2011, I slipped and fell hitting my knee on a concrete floor.  It didn't hurt very much so I didn't think that I did anything to it.  I have sprained, broken, and bruised bones before and my knee did not hurt nearly as bad as these did.  The pain kept increasing over the next 3 days, so I finally went to the health center at school.  They sent me for x-rays, which were fine, so I was told that it was just a bad sprain.  The following week, I started hearing/feeling a popping when I walked and the pain was worse when this happened, so I went back to the health center.  The doctor there told me that it was probably fluid in the joint or a tear in the meniscus, so he put me on crutches.  A week later it didn't feel any better, so I went to see my PCP and she put me in a hinged knee brace and sent me for an MRI.  I was then referred to the orthopedist and told that I bruised my kneecap and another bone and dislocated my knee.  Once school was out for the summer, I began physical therapy, but there was no improvement.  The orthopedists took another look at my x-rays, saw that my kneecap was tilted, and decided to to an arthroscopy with LR to fix the kneecap and see if there were any tears in the meniscus that did not show up on my MRIs.  During the surgery on July 21, 2011, he found that my kneecap was tilted more than he thought and stuck that way and although he did not find any tears, he did find a lot of cartilage damage.  About a month after surgery, I woke up with my leg very swollen from my knee down.  All weekend I laid in bed with my leg elevated and iced my knee, but by Monday morning, the swelling was much worse and I could barely fit my foot in a flip flop.  I was sent for an ultrasound to rule out a blood clot and it was negative.  It was about another month before the swelling began to go down, but when it did, my kneecap began subluxing and dislocating multiple times a day.  The OS mentioned that there was another surgery he could do to fix it, but he didn't want to do it because it was more invasive and had more risks than the LR.  Eventually the OS referred me to a physiatrist who had me continue PT with no improvements.  Finally in January, I began seeing my current OS who, after 2 visits, recommended that I have the MPFL reconstruction.
3/20/2011 right knee dislocation & bone bruises
7/21/2011 arthroscopy with lateral release
6/8/2012 MPFL reconstruction
8/11/2014 TTT and lateral retinaculum repair
11/29/2014 Patellar Tendon rupture, Patella and Tibia fractures

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
Re: MPFL Reconstruction 6/8/2012
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2012, 06:32:24 AM »
Good luck!
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
07.02.09- Lateral Release/Meniscus Repair
11.11.09- diagnosis of Patellar Instability/Patellar Tracking Disorder
12.10.09- Medial Reefing/Lateral Release
01.11- Synvisc
04.14.11- MPFL Reconstruction
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline La-la-land

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2012, 10:27:07 AM »
Crossing fingers for you! It will be OK :)

Offline Cjlynn

• MINIgeek (20-50 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2012, 06:07:17 PM »
Good luck with everything!! :)
Frequent patella dislocations thru adolescent years
1997 - scope and lateral release
Summer 2011 - dislocation at work
May 2012 - MPFL reconstruction and meniscus repair

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2012, 03:30:27 AM »
Thank you guys!

Day of Surgery:

We arrived at the surgical center around 8am and I was taken back to get ready within 10 minutes of checking in.  After talking to the anesthesiologists, we decided to hold off on the nerve block and see how well they were able to control the pain after because they did not know how it would interact with my underlying neuromuscular disease.  When I woke up in recovery, I was crying because of all the pain, definitely a 10+/10.  The nurses tried giving me 2 doses of pain meds and a couple of doses of anti-nausea meds, but they didn't even put a dent in the pain, so they had the anesthesiologist come to do the nerve block, but it was about 20 minutes before he got there to do it.  Right now, the upper half of my leg is numb and the only pain that I'm feeling is a dull pain in my shin.  I was released around 4 and got home around 6.

I have my first PT appointment on Tuesday and am not allowed to remove this brace or the bandages until I see the doctor on the 19th.  I was also told today that instead of being NWB for 3 weeks, I am NWB for at least 6.   :(  The OS doesn't want me doing stairs for a while, so the family room is my new home.  Because the shower is 2 floors up from here, I have to try to get my dad to build a couple of ramps so I can go outside and get into the kitchen to wash my hair in that sink.

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2012, 05:47:09 PM »
Post-Op Day 1:

So far everything has been going really well.  I was asleep by 11:30 last night and woke up around 7 this morning.  I probably would have slept longer if all five dogs didn't start chasing each other.  The nerve block is starting to wear off so I just took some of the Percocet.

The nurses had to try a couple of times to start my IV yesterday.  They couldn't get the needle in all the way where the tried first and it started bruising before they even took it out.  They ended up using 6 hot packs to get my veins to come out of hiding and left them and 7 or 8 warm blankets with me until I was taken back to the OR because I could not stop shivering.

This is where the nurses first tried to start the IV.

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 05:11:22 AM »
NWB for six weeks? That's the first time I've ever heard that. I know every OS is different but, wow.

I lived on my living room couch for three months after my MPFLr because going up and down my steps was too much. It'll be easier for you anyway!
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 01:55:10 PM »
Hey :)

Hope you're doing ok x

I had an MPFL recon done on my left knee 8 weeks ago alongside a TTO and Arthroscopy, here's a list of everything you'll need lol

1, Patience :) a lot of it lol

2, Meds lol...never miss them, take them on time even if you don't feel like you need them....because trust me, if you let that pain take hold it'll hold on like a newborn baby holds it's mums finger for the first time lo.

3, Anything to relieve boredom...I've now taken up knitting lol!! I'm actually knitting baby clothes yet I don't even have a baby, I plan to give all the things to my local special baby unit afterwards lol

4, Tissues, with pain and frustration, comes tears...it's normal :) just be strong :) stay positive, just remember your wee knee isn't there to make your life misery from now on, it's just needing a little care and attention for now lol.

5, A small waterproof shower bag, I keep everything in mine from my lipgloss to my mobile phone, vaselline to massage my scars right down to the remote control for the tv lol.  It ties around my crutch handle nicely :)

this list is actually endless lol I won't sit here and tell you recovery is a piece of cake, it's not, it's hard, frustrating, painful and downright annoying at times, but keep your wee chin up because it does get better, a lot better.  As much as I hurt I know now and feel that my knee is so much more stronger than it was and that's a feeling that is just indescribable :)

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 07:24:00 PM »
Kate - I am living in the family room as well.  The doctor doesn't want me doing stairs.  My bedroom is in the basement and the closest bathroom is up one floor.  Luckily I do not have to sleep on the couch...I was able to convince my parents to get the daybed they wanted to turn my old room into a guest room and set it up in the family room for me   ;D  When I saw the OS in February he said that I would only be NWB for about 3 weeks.  I'm not sure why he changed it to 6 weeks.  I will have to ask the PT on Tuesday if she knows.

Helen - Thank you for the tips!  I have been keeping the meds close by.  I have a nice supply of books with me as well.  I got all 5 books for my church's summer reading program out last week and my grandmother came over yesterday and brought me 4 more.  I also have several cross-stitch projects that I am working on.

Post-Op Day 2:

Today has been great so far.  I did not wake up to take the Percocet at 2am, but took 2 at 6am and was relatively pain free for the next several hours except for when I put my leg down so that I can stand up.  Then it feels like there is a lot of pressure on my kneecap.  When my dad got home from work around 8 this morning, I had him go get Mom up and I was successfully able to convince her to take me to church!  It felt great to be able to get out of the house.  I have been able to get in and out of the wheelchair without any help, but I still need some help getting my leg in and out of the bed.  I did get really nauseous and dizzy this afternoon though, but I am guessing it is from what I had for lunch and not the pain meds because it happened 2-3 hours after I took them last.

Last night my parents went to my younger brother's last high school concert and left me home alone.  The nerve block completely wore off while they were gone and I had already finished everything they left down here for me to drink, so I had to wait about 2 hours for them to get home before I could take the Percocet.  By the time they got back, I could barely move because of all the pain.

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2012, 01:59:44 AM »
Post-Op Day 3:

I got my hair washed for the first time since Thursday night and it felt great, even if it was in the garage sink.   :D  I was really nauseous and dizzy all day today and nothing helped.  A nurse from the surgical center called to see how I am doing today.  She said to take the Percocet every 4 hours and Ibuprofen every 6 hours.  She also told me to call the OS's office if the nausea got worse or if it is not better by tomorrow afternoon.  The anesthesiologist also called to see how the nerve block worked.  He was very surprised when I told him that it lasted for like 30 hours; before the surgery he told me that the nerve block usually lasts 18-36 hours, but because I am younger, I should only expect it to last for 12-24 hours.  He was a little concerned that the pain meds are not helping too much and that my pain level is about a 6-8/10 with the pain meds.

I have my first physical therapy appointment tomorrow afternoon.  I'm not really looking forward to that 2 hour ride lying in the backseat of the car because I get a little car sick doing that.  Hopefully the nausea and dizziness are better tomorrow before we leave.

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2012, 04:46:55 AM »
Post-Op Day 4:

Today was not a good day at all.  I was really sick this morning, so I called the OS's office.  I spoke with his PA who said she would look over my chart and come find me when I got up there for physical therapy.  Because I was so sick this morning my diet for the day has consisted of toast and saltines...I am so hungry, but just stopped feeling nauseous and don't want to risk getting sick again by eating something more.   :(  While I was at PT the PA came to talk to me and decided to give me a prescription for an anti-nausea.  So far it has worked, but we will see if it still is tomorrow.

Physical therapy went well today, but it was very painful.  My knee is very swollen, but the PT said that it looked pretty good.  She was very pleased/surprised with my passive ROM; she didn't say what it was, but it looked to me like it was about 40 degrees.  :)  At first, to get passive ROM the PT had me use my left let to bring my right leg down and back up, but I don't have the strength to do so and it hurt my kneecap so much that I was almost crying, so she held my ankle and raised and lowered my right leg for me.  At the end of the appointment the PT iced my knee and used stim on it.  I should have asked for a bag of ice for the 2 hour car ride home but didn't think of it until we were already at the car.  My next PT appointment is on the 19th, the same day as my follow-up with the OS's PA.

When I got home, I took some Ibuprofin, the anti-nausea meds, and the Percocet, then took a nap.  I woke up from the nap about 3 hours later in so much pain that I was crying and couldn't move my leg.  I had to lay in bed for another hour before I could take some more Percocet.  :'(

Offline oohheykate

• SuperKNEEgeek
    • My photography-Flickr
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 12:48:01 AM »
Sorry you had such a bad day :( You'll have a few or more of those but it'll be worth it in the end. I'm glad you got the anti-nausea medicine. It was a life saver for me. Woohoo for your ROM! Just saying, I cried at almost every PT visit while we were working on ROM so you're not alone with that.

I hope you have a better day tomorrow!
-18 years old-
Left knee;
11.07.08- Scope
01.11- Synvisc
06.21.11- LOA & MUA

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2012, 04:18:37 AM »
Thanks Kate!  When I was trying to do ROM myself it felt like my kneecap was going to break.  It felt much better when the PT was doing it for me, but it still hurt.

Post-Op Day 5:

Today was a much better day.  Although the pain meds didn't really help much, I wasn't nauseous at all until tonight.  I don't think it was from the Percocet this time though, it started about 3.5 hours after I had taken them last.  I am thinking that it was either from my mom's driving and sitting in the back seat or the pizza I had for dinner.

Over the weekend I had my older brother's puppy sleeping with me and "protecting me."  Today he was replaced by our cat.   :)  She will probably sleep with me all night because she is terrified of the 5 loud fans we have going to try to dry out the basement after something leaked and flooded it.

Ben, the puppy, "protecting" me

Callie "protecting" me

Offline Chellie1992

• Regular Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2012, 06:57:21 AM »
Post-Op Day 6:

Today the pain was worse than it has been since the nerve block first wore off. The pain killers did nothing to relieve the pain and, as a result, I could not move my leg at all without someone holding my ankle.  Because of the pain I was also barely able to do any of my exercises.  :(  If the pain hasn't decreased at all by tomorrow morning, I am going to call my OS's office.  On a good note, I didn't feel nauseous at all today and didn't need to take any of the anti-nausea meds.

Offline helencatherine

• Regular Poster
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2012, 11:03:39 AM »
Hey x

Sorry to hear that you're in such pain, hope it eases off soon.  Have you tried icing it when it's hurting?  It does get better, it's all part of the recovery period, some days are great others are just awful :-( keep your wee chin up, hope it eases off for you.

Lol it's cute to see your little pets looking after you, it's fab it's almost as if they're aware somethings not quite right.my two cats are the Same, they always walk around slowly with me when I'm on my crutches and they're forever resting up on the sofa with me, it's cute!

Feel better soon x