Banner - Hide this banner

Author Topic: Missing ACL  (Read 1285 times)

Offline dadxfour

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
  • Liked: 0
Missing ACL
« on: June 06, 2012, 07:42:30 PM »
I am just had arthroscopy to repair a torn lateral meniscus.  In my followup appointment, the doctor was showing me pictures and casually made the comment, "This is where your ACL would be."  I stopped him and said, "What do you mean where it would be?"  He went on to explain I have no ACL.  There are remnants, however, judging from what is left he does not think I've had one for a very long time.

I am 42 years olds and have been playing rugby (as a prop no less), basketball, racquetball, and squash for the last 10 years.  I am short and stocky; 5' 8" (173cm) and 215 pounds (97 kilos) and racquetball/squash opponents are amazed at my footspeed.  My doctor was stunned to learn I've not had any noticeably instability.  Given my situation, he does not recommend reconstruction unless I have issues...perhaps more likely now that i know my ACL is gone. :P At most he said an ACL brace might be a good idea to prevent future problems.

What are your thoughts?  I had microfracture on the other knee last year and hated the lengthy recovery.  I was just starting to get my leg strength back before last rugby season before the injury that tore my meniscus in a pre-season game.  Right before season I was able to squat about 350 pounds (159 kilos) for about 12 reps.  That was about 10 months after the microfracture surgery.  What are everyone's experiences?  To recontruct or not?  Thanks,

-- Dave

Offline tony1233

• Forum Faithful
  • http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?pid=4026561&o
Re: Missing ACL
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 02:09:17 AM »
as a high level performer I would probably opt for the recon, however ACL braces are very helpful aswell. Donjoy products are great in my experience. Ultimately it comes to personal preferance
09/30/07 Diagnosed with partial ACL tear (left knee)
02/03/10 American Football injury, Diagnosed with ACL & MCL complete tear (right knee)
(R)lateral meniscotomy 08/11/10
(L) Lateral meniscotomy 10/28/11
(L) MCL & Medial Meniscus tear 07/12
(L) injury 01/23/12

Offline j2willia

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 03:25:24 PM »
I'm about 7 weeks post-op from ACL repair (hamstring graft) with repair to my meniscus.  I'm 39 and a recreational soccer player (which is how I got the knee injury), runner, etc., but from the sounds of it nowhere near as active as you.

I'm no doctor, but if you weren't experiencing instability with your knee in the past, then a brace might be a good option.  Believe it or not, there are athletes without an ALC (see Hines Ward, as an example).

If you do or did have instability (often resulting in pinching or even tearing your meniscus), then perhaps ACL reconstruction will help.

Will warn you that recovery from ACL surgery isn't easy.  It can take a minimum of 6 months to a year to recover.  Lots of physical therapy!!

Good luck!!

Offline dadxfour

• MICROgeek (<20 posts)
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 05:19:07 PM »
Thanks for the replies.  I'm leaning towards not doing the ACLR since I had a 9-12 month recovery for microfracture surgery in 2011.  I would be 43 by the time I was fully recovered and I've still not regained all my lost muscle mass since the microfracture.  My big concern is with the lost mass in my quads and hamstrings, ACL stability may actually become an issue as will additional meniscus tears.  I'll reaquaint myself with squat, deadlifts, and stiff legged deads once in a few weeks when the the scoped knee, sans ACL, is fully recovered.  However, will an ACL brace help prevent future tears?  Thanks.

Offline aaa

• Forum Faithful
  • Liked: 1
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:54:33 PM »
The brace is designed to try and compensate for the stability your ACL would have provided your knee.

The tear of your meniscus may or may not have been related to the ACL being gone.  The ACL helps stabilize your knee, and with less stability, the chance of damaging something else might be higher.

I guess there isn't certainty that your ACL missing is really a problem, or was it just some bad luck that caused the meniscus tear.

Surgery always has its risks, and possibiltiy of complications.  Tough decision to make.

support